Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gothic Metal

Go down 
+7
MetalRob331
Black Coffee
Gilbert
GrandNational
Metallic Blaze
tohostudios
DallasBlack
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:35 pm

What are some of people's favorite gothic metal bands or albums? I don't mean symphonic metal bands which are an offshoot of gothic metal but are not what I consider gothic metal. I mean bands that have a dark and melodic sound that spawned from death/doom and is not overly bombastic. Theatre Of Tragedy could fit the bill though I'd count them as doom/death but bands like Epica and After Forever don't. Evanecence and Saviour Machine really doesn't fit the bill either because they have more of a goth rock influence like Sisters Of Mercy, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Dead Artist Syndrome, etc. Gothic metal bands members are not part of the goth subculture (most goths abhor gothic metal-too "crude and macho") but look like your typical metal fan. My list of favorite albums should give an idea of what I mean:

Gothic Metal StormbirdGothic Metal Mortal+LoveGothic Metal DownGothic Metal Sentenced%20-%20crimson
Gothic Metal Sentenced%20-%20the%20cold%20white%20lightGothic Metal AmorphisGothic Metal 73857Gothic Metal Crematory+-+Klagebilder
Gothic Metal Crematory+-+Act+SevenGothic Metal Draconian_Times_4900618ddb966Gothic Metal 2007-EvernightLimitedEditionGothic Metal Cover_type_o_negative_bloody_kisses
Gothic Metal Type+O+Negative+-+October+Rust

Other bands included could be The Gathering (though I personally wouldn't consider them because they aren't quite heavy enough), Lacuna Coil (who I'm not a huge fan of), Poisonblack (which are on my wantlist), etc. This thread will also help me discover other bands in this vein that I can further explore. I want more Mortal Love but most of their stuff is only availiable as imports.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

In addition to the ones you've mentioned above:

The 69 Eyes
To/Die/For
Penumbra
HIM (to a lesser extent)

Last edited by tohostudios on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Also, if you don't already have Sentenced last album "The Funeral Album", I'd highly recommend it.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:39 pm

Love gothic metal. However, I prefer the symphonic/power stuff. Epica, Leaves' Eyes, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Forever Slave, Lacuna Coil. These are all some of my favorite bands.

But out of the more crude gothic metal stuff, I'd say:

Paradise Lost
The 69 Eyes
Type O Negative
Penumbra

If you've not heard Penumbra, you really need to check them out!!!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 pm

Does latter day Katatonia count? I like them.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9893

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 2:05 am

I saw to/die/for live in beirut during the rock festival. Very good band.

My fav band is Sisters of Mercy. This is old school gothic.
Back to top Go down
Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 2:51 am

When it comes to Gothic Metal, there is My Dying Bride, and then there is everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 3:48 am

Gilbert wrote:
I saw to/die/for live in beirut during the rock festival. Very good band.

My fav band is Sisters of Mercy. This is old school gothic.

I freekin love The Sisters of Mercy. They are one of my all time favorite bands. They're not metal though ... they're gothic rock.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 3:50 am

I dont consider Sentenced or Crematory goth, but thats just my opinion. Crematory is one of my favorite bands and they are pretty much just a great metal band as is Sentenced.

I know they are catagorized under Goth but they sound nothing like most bands under that genre. If so they would be my favs...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 11:09 am

Huge fan....

Here are a couple for now...I'll post more later

Gothic Metal Dark_sed

Dark - Seduction....breathtaking songwriting and atmosphere, one of the best things I own. Similar sound to mid-period Dark Tranquillity in some ways, eschewing a lot of more traditional song structure and rhythm, but not bogged down by the melo-death idiom. There are death growls which are slightly melodic at times, rough clean vocals, low true clean vocals a'la the Sisters, and the occasional female voice, sometimes all in the same song. Every song is tragic, romantic, and lacking cheese. Gothic Metal Icon_razz Here's two favorites to sink in:

Gothic Metal Darkseed-divingintodarkness

Darkseed - Diving into Darkness...Something amazing for the few who enjoyed the experimental leanings of Paradise Lost but wouldn't mind if they went more in the Depeche Mode direction as well as further recalling their roots. This album is a barrel of hulking, sorrowful songwriting gold. The electronics used are perfect in atmosphere and execution, and the abundance of classic metal styled leads help put the icing on the cake. This one has been with me a long time and this is one of my favorite bands.

I second 'October Rust' as well, though it comes in after these two and 'Rage For Order'.
Back to top Go down

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 11:50 am

I love Mortal Love, Tristania, Draconian, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Closterkeller, The Sisters Of Mercy, Siouxise And The Banshees, The 69 Eyes, Paradise Lost etc.
My overall fave has to be Tristania they are like the gothic metal gods in my opinion!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:13 pm

Do The 69 Eyes count as gothic metal? I've always just stuck with their goth n' roll tag as it seems most fitting. They're a good band either way. I'm also a big Type O Negative fan, love their stuff - Bloody Kisses is probably one of my most played albums.

I've always had a bit of a love / hate thing for HIM. I like them, but they annoy me which makes no sense. Still, albums like Love Metal and Venus Doom are great stuff.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:33 pm

the 69 eyes are a very good band. I love their music.
Back to top Go down

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:42 pm

I hate seeing Amorphis, Sentenced and Paradise Lost on that list...but I'm too tired to debate it.

Gothic Metal Lol
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Amorphis have surfed accross various styles.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Not Goth! Gothic metal! I thought I made it clear in my post what I meant. There seems to be some genre confusion going on here. Although they have crossed over in recent years they all stem from separate backgrounds. While I like some goth most of it doesn't interest me, gothic metal is a favorite of mine and includes bands like later Sentenced, current Amoprhis, and Paradise Lost. Gothic metal is an offshoot of doom while goth rock has it's roots in punk. Most gothic metal bands dislike goth rock and vice versa.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:39 pm

You really consider current Amorphis to be gothic metal? I'd beg to differ.

It doesn't matter though. No one is ever going to agree 100% with anyone regarding genres.

We all see things through the metal glasses that we wear individually. It's never worth an argument.

So I just let such things go ...
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
You really consider current Amorphis to be gothic metal? I'd beg to differ.

I'd say it definatly has some gothic metal qualities to it. I'd say it's dark progressive metal but to my ears it fits the mold.

Apparently I'm not the only one that consiers the current Amoprhis to fall under gothic metal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gothic_metal_bands
Back to top Go down

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 7:32 am

AraPacis and Delian gothic metal? *dies laughing*
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 8:03 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Not Goth! Gothic metal! I thought I made it clear in my post what I meant. There seems to be some genre confusion going on here. Although they have crossed over in recent years they all stem from separate backgrounds. While I like some goth most of it doesn't interest me, gothic metal is a favorite of mine and includes bands like later Sentenced, current Amoprhis, and Paradise Lost. Gothic metal is an offshoot of doom while goth rock has it's roots in punk. Most gothic metal bands dislike goth rock and vice versa.
It's not really that clear considering you're grouping bands like Type O Negative with the likes of Amorphis - Type O have just as many roots in punk as they do in doom, thus making them neither quite goth rock or goth metal by your definition. That's at least where my confusion has come from.

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 8:24 am

I edited that list I took all the none goth metal bands out like:

- Delian
- AraPacis
- Atrocity
- Leaves' Eyes
- Evanescence
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2010 9:33 am

Smindas wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
It's not really that clear considering you're grouping bands like Type O Negative with the likes of Amorphis - Type O have just as many roots in punk as they do in doom, thus making them neither quite goth rock or goth metal by your definition. That's at least where my confusion has come from.

You're right and I wasn't sure I should have put them up there because of that. Because Sabbath was such a big influence on them (i.e. doom) I put them up there. I should have left them off of which I am now sure.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:27 pm

and off the thread goes into teh abysses. Gothic Metal Icon_razz

Amorphis contains nothing resembling properties of anything 'gothic', although Sentenced and especially Paradise Lost do, and I made a contributing post. Gothic Metal Icon_razz

That is all.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:44 pm

Note to self: When seeking band recommendations, just ask for bands that sound like Band X, Band Y and Band Z. Let the genre Nazis try to classify the sound.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm not sure I really even know what Goth metal is. And I think I'm even less aware after listening to the linked songs and reading this thread.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gothic Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gothic Metal   Gothic Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gothic Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next