Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Epica

Go down 
+7
Dave the Boss
GrandNational
Metallic Blaze
Mortuary
scottmitchell74
DallasBlack
tohostudios
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:33 am

Eyesore wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
aussiemetalhead wrote:
Have anyone seen Epica with replacement singer Amanda Sullivan fronting them while Simon Simons is recovering from the MRSA bug?
Oh, so thats why someone asked if she was going to be there. Damn, just my luck. Oh well, I'm glad I don't listen to Epica just because of her otherwise it would be a bummer...hell, it still is. angry
She's an attractive blonde woman. But attractive blonde chicks are a dime a dozen, I want a firey red head with pretty blue eyes! angry
Okay. Now you're just being creepy.

"I yam, what I yam!"-Popeye
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:24 am

Let's discuss this incredible female-fronted metal band from Holland!

They play a very symphonic/classical orchestrated gothic metal with very aggressive death metal touches.

I love this band. I just got their new album - and it RULES!!!

Any fans?

Epica - Page 2 Epica+++Design+Your+Universe+pr
Back to top Go down

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:31 am

*hands up* Design Your universe is the best album of theirs!!
I to do love The Phantom Agony and Consign To Oblivion. I'm no big fan of The Score and for me The Divine Conspiracy is nothing special bt an okay listen.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:55 am

I am more of a Simone Simons fan than an Epica fan. Wow is she smokin' hot. Not a bad set of, uhh......lungs either.

Last edited by GrandNational on Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:14 am

ChaliceOfFemmeMetal wrote:
*hands up* Design Your universe is the best album of theirs!!
I to do love The Phantom Agony and Consign To Oblivion. I'm no big fan of The Score and for me The Divine Conspiracy is nothing special bt an okay listen.

Yeah, "Design Your Universe" is my fave as well. I still need to get their first two.

I also have "The Divine Conspiracy", and I felt the same way at first. It took a long time, but that album has really grown on me now. I can honestly say I love it - but it was a grower for sure.
Back to top Go down

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 9:17 am

On TDC I found that Simone's voice got under my skin, I don't know why :/
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 am

I wouldn't mind having a drink with Simone Simons, that's for sure. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:28 am

GrandNational wrote:
I am more of a Simone Simons fan than an Epica fan. Wow is smokin' hot. Not a bad set of, uhh......lungs either.
This.

I got to see the band live in a festival two or three years ago, I think. They were very good, but I haven't picked up any albums.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Anyone else into this band?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:29 pm

I was a fan up through Consign but they lost me with Divine Conspiracy.

Too much growliing + too much proggy, unmemorable songwriting = Toho's smurflist. Haven't heard the new one but from everything I've read, it apparently continues in the vain of Divine so I'll pass.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:34 pm

a lot of bad stuff about 'modern' metal (mostly functionless guitar, keys that don't innovate, pin-up-girl-singer, unequal balance between vocals and other instruments, polished to death production with no individual voice) with just enough of the classic stuff mixed in to make the crossover appeal. To issue a little sliver of credit, when all is said and done I've definitely heard worse, but who cares.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I was a fan up through Consign but they lost me with Divine Conspiracy.

Too much growliing + too much proggy, unmemorable songwriting = Toho's smurflist. Haven't heard the new one but from everything I've read, it apparently continues in the vain of Divine so I'll pass.

I'd say "Design Your Universe" is kinda like a mix between "The Divine Conspiracy" and "Consign to Obliveon". It's easier to get into than "The Divine Conspiracy" for sure. Much more memorable. Plus I think it's Simone's best vocal performance to date. On the other hand, there is a ton of death vocals on this one. So you might still wanna pass on it - cause I know that's not your thing.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
a lot of bad stuff about 'modern' metal (mostly functionless guitar, keys that don't innovate, pin-up-girl-singer, unequal balance between vocals and other instruments, polished to death production with no individual voice) with just enough of the classic stuff mixed in to make the crossover appeal. To issue a little sliver of credit, when all is said and done I've definitely heard worse, but who cares.

It sounds to me like this just isn't your style of metal. Because Epica is one of the best of this genre.

I completely laughed at your description. You couldn't have described the sound of this band more wrongly.

I mean (keys that don't innnovate LOL). Anyway ... moving on.

You're entitled to your opinion. And like somebody once said - opinions are like belly buttons. We all have one.
Back to top Go down

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

I have no clue if this is right (like i said, only heard one song), but it sure is funny.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

It sounds to me like this just isn't your style of metal. Because Epica is one of the best of this genre.

I completely laughed at your description. You couldn't have described the sound of this band more wrongly.

I mean (keys that don't innnovate LOL). Anyway ... moving on.

You're entitled to your opinion. And like somebody once said - opinions are like belly buttons. We all have one.

this is what a well-worded detailed discourse for discussing purposes gets ya...wonder why I bother?.... Epica - Page 2 Icon_razz and uhhh, yeah, I thought that was the point...if the 'style' is something which indeed encompasses what I mentioned, then no, lol, it is not my style....

Is it so bothering that one of the most popular bands in that field right now is disliked by me.... Epica - Page 2 Icon_razz Think of how a lot of underground bands feel.....
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm

No, it doesn't bother me. You just seem to come across as an elitist sometimes. That's what annoys me. Has anyone ever told you that?

You seem like a really nice guy and all. I have nothing against you ... but.

Every time I see you posted on a certain thread - I pretty much already know what to expect. More elitist ramblings about why you think everyone's favorite bands suck so much.

Perhaps I'm misreading you. And I apologize if so. But you just seem like your loaded with all kinds of negative things to slew at any given band that doesn't quite live up to your elitist standards of what you consider 'worthy'.

And by the way, I'm not talking about just Epica. This happens with 90% or so of the threads you post in.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
No, it doesn't bother me. You just seem to come across as an elitist sometimes. That's what annoys me. Has anyone ever told you that?

You seem like a really nice guy and all. I have nothing against you ... but.

Every time I see you posted on a certain thread - I pretty much already know what to expect. More elitist ramblings about why you think everyone's favorite bands suck so much.

Perhaps I'm misreading you. And I apologize if so. But you just seem like your loaded with all kinds of negative things to slew at any given band that doesn't quite live up to your elitist standards of what you consider 'worthy'.

And by the way, I'm not talking about just Epica. This happens with 90% or so of the threads you post in.

I dunno, it's pretty simple, an opinion is asked of and it's given. According to the metal-archives there's over 70,000 metal bands in existence. I dislike more of those than I like and so do most people. What makes this elitist if you could be specific? I just think I would like to offer more than 'this sucks' and instead of it balancing things out it's somehow elitist. I just checked and I know I provide more detail then just a simple diss to something. I think it makes sense to have all kinds of negative things or all kinds of positive things to say about a band. I kind of have to have real tangible reasons for liking or disliking something however much. You could always filter out any, uh, 'ramblings' by saying something like... could only FANS post in this thread, or suchlike. I want you to know it's OK if you dig something and I don't. If I said I dug something and you didn't I wouldn't start worrying and inquiring about why not. We ain't under oath or anything here.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey Orion. Check your PM.

Epica - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:05 pm

BUMP
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 pm

I think OCI hit on a critical difference between the way he views bands he likes and the way I and I think MB view bands we like.

I have a ton of bands where I can't actually pinpoint what I like about them; I just like the overall sound. Knowing MB from other boards, I'm pretty sure he's the same way.

Why do I love AC/DC? I have no idea. Pretty much every album sounds the same and sticks to the same formula but with this band I don't care. Hammerfall. Pretty much every album sounds the same and sticks to the same formula but with that band it annoys the hell outta me.

Tangible reasons? I don't have any idea. I usually react viscerally to music, not intellectually.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Well, it's very primarily visceral for me also. I just get so obsessive and like to find out everything about it and why I like it if possible. And I worry about looking like an idiot if I talk about it so I utilize the big mouth God gave me. Epica - Page 2 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 pm

But apparently you like to analyze why you like a band. I do too to some extent but if my initial analysis comes up empty, I don't care. I don't spend a lot of time analyzing why I like or dislike a band.

And I realize that frequently results in posts like "This band rules!" or "This band sucks!". Sorry, but that's the visceral reaction talking. If my brief self-analysis has a reason, I usually post it ( eg: Dave Matthews band has outstanding musicians but the nasally vocals kill it for me) but beyond that...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Then again, if I can't bring more to the discussion than "This band sucks", I usually don't bother posting.

Look at earlier in this thread. I used to be a major Epica fan and I still love Simone's voice but lately they've utilized way too much growling for my tastes and I find the songwriting unmemorable.

So I posted such.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Quote :
Then again, if I can't bring more to the discussion than "This band sucks", I usually don't bother posting.

One caveat to that is if it's a Manowar thread.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 3:26 am

Yeah Toho, I think you're right. I tend to be pretty visceral when discussing music.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Epica - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Epica   Epica - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Epica
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next