Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM

Go down 
+12
Required Fields
sovdat
Fat Freddy
Shiney
kmorg
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
mc666
Smindas
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 1:35 pm

metalnut?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 5:07 pm

T-Roy wrote:
metalnut?
Uh...what?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:20 am

What do you guys think of this sort of layout (these were just whipped together in Photoshop):

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Mock_layout_review

This would be the review layout (the bulk of the site). You click a letter link above, the frame on the left shows all the bands. Click a band name, the albums show up on the right frame, click an album cover and the reviews shows in the middle. I'll probably have the default set to the band's latest release, so when you click the band name there's not a blank space in the middle; it will show the latest release I've reviewed/added.

The interviews and editorials and concert reviews won't be so common, so I'll have just one frame on the left and all text to the right of it. Like this:

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Mock_layout_interview

The same will go for the news/updates part, but I think the default left frame will always show the # link (311, 3 Inches Of Blood, etc.) when the news/updates page is up (which will be the default page). So that would look like this:

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Mock_layout_main

Not sure if I like the frame on the left, though, so any ideas would be sweet. Also, the real site will obviously be much bigger (wider) and such, this was done on a tiny scale so I could post it and e-mail it around. I'm going to actually pay to have the site done. I simply don't have the time or desire to build it from scratch.

Any comments/opinions are welcome. There are additional things I want the site to have, but these are the very basics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:30 am

Thats pretty damn sweet! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 2:29 am

Word. What do you think about an RSS feed from Blabbermouth in the left frame on the default page where I post my news and updates?

What I post for news will just be little snippets of stuff that never gets mentioned on the big news sites. I used to do it at metalreviews.com (example...the last news bit pissed off the owner of the site, too). So an RSS feed to Blabbermouth might be cool. I wish melodicrock.com had one.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:44 am

i think you should keep SITE LOGO at the top
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 3:53 am

EvyMetal wrote:
i think you should keep SITE LOGO at the top
I'll take that into consideration.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 8:55 am

whatever u call it it;s still goin to be cool. GL with it..
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 1:29 pm

I like the design, it's functional and stylish - pretty much what you need. The Blabber-RSS feed sounds like it could be bittersweet. On the one hand, it might be relevant but on the other, it makes the site seem slightly more impersonal. I guess it kind of depends on what you're going for.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 2:56 pm

Well, the site isn't going to be a traditional review site; it's going to be like NLTM and MM, just my collection. I may can the whole news idea anyway, as I don't want to feel obligated to update the news. I'd rather the site become something used for reference rather than up-to-the-minute news and whatnot. Then again, it probably wouldn't be too hard to do something like that either. I don't know just yet.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 4:08 pm

Yeah, I figured you were going for the NLTM / MM approach (especially with the topic title and what not) hence me thinking the RSS feed / news thing aren't the best idea, pretty much for the reasons you listed.

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Looks pretty damn Sexy indeed Eyesore and I'm being serious, It's a lot better layout than most sites out there, seems pretty easy to navigate around and all.

Best of luck with it.

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 8:18 am

I had my own site for awhile (still have all the files in which i plan to relaunch) my reason was mainly to keep tabs on my collection but I grew inspiraiton heavily from NLTM and Metal Metropolis
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 8:33 am

I have tried this idea about 5 times. I don't have the patience for it. Your design kicks, Eyesore. More power to you. I wish you the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2