Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM

Go down 
+12
Required Fields
sovdat
Fat Freddy
Shiney
kmorg
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
mc666
Smindas
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Empty
PostSubject: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:07 am

I've been reviewing albums for years and years now. I've loved it. Not only have I reviewed for magazine and webzines, I've always done shorter, more straight-to-the-point reviews on forums. To me it's just a way to generate music discussion, which I love. When I quit reviewing for metalreviews.com, I wondered why I'd simply quit so fast. I mean, I reviewed there for a year and it was great, and then a few small issues kind of got blown out of proportion and the owner insulted me in front of everyone (over e-mail), and I basically raised the middle finger and walked. But I loved reviewing there. So I found my decision a little odd.

Anyway, now that I've rejoined Tartarean Desire, where there's no reviewer to fan or reviewer to band interaction, it's really just bored me. I have a stack of about 20 CDs to review, and most are crappy little cardboard slipcase promos. So the incentive isn't even there anymore. It seems that labels and bands have gotten cheaper with their review material. So why do I want to continue doing it this way? I don't think I do.

I would, however, love to basically put my collection online and talk about it. That's what I love about No Life Til Metal, Metal Metropolis, and BNR Metal Pages. They're not sites where the person doesn't care about the material (in most cases, I know we all own some duds). I dig that. There's integrity in that. I'd thought about starting my own music webzine, but I just don't have the time. So I think doing a "my collection" type thing would be really cool. But my collection isn't all metal.

So what the hell should I call it? Haha. This will be the toughest part, I think. Also, how much are you guys (ult and kmorg) paying for your sites per year?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:46 am

That sounds like a good idea... I'd definetely visit and read. As for names, I seriously don't know. Well, not any names that aren't corny anyhow.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 5:16 am

Eyesore's... Mind...sore. Okay, that was abysmal, but good luck with the site - I'll definitely check it out.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 6:36 am

good luck with it. you write very well & have alot of opinions. you'd be real good at something similar.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 7:35 am

it is always good to see ites like that so for it. i occasionaly review cds on my crappy piczo website (it is easy to use for a computer no-hoper like me) but aint as good as many sites i see
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 9:41 am

I was thinking about using the name of my band for the site:

Selling The Infection

That may be a bit weird, though. Haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 am

You might want to consider having the word "metal" in your name somehow, so it comes up in a search if someone is googling metal sites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:31 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
You might want to consider having the word "metal" in your name somehow, so it comes up in a search if someone is googling metal sites.
Yeah, but metal fans will be pissed when I review an Ani Difranco CD. Laughing I remember people at metalreviews.com used to always whine if we reviewed a rock album or a nu-metal album. It becomes an annoyance. Haha.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 11:48 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yeah, but metal fans will be pissed when I review an Ani Difranco CD. Laughing I remember people at metalreviews.com used to always whine if we reviewed a rock album or a nu-metal album. It becomes an annoyance. Haha.

Good point, if you're reviewing all types of music. You don't want to mislead the metal masses.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:37 pm

I pay about $80 a year for my site. It was much more than that before I figured out how to stop hot linking. That was killing me. Be sure you take care of that as well.

As for metal fans getting pissed, so freakin' what! I have Keith Green, Genesis, Phil Collins, Phil Keaggy, Run DMC and all sorts of weird stuff on my site.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:40 pm

ultmetal wrote:
As for metal fans getting pissed, so freakin' what! I have Keith Green, Genesis, Phil Collins, Phil Keaggy, Run DMC and all sorts of weird stuff on my site.

Yah, but they don't know you like we do. We KNOW your weird, we just forgive you for it.lol!

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:45 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Yah, but they don't know you like we do. We KNOW your weird, we just forgive you for it.lol!

lol!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:11 pm

I pay only like 2$ a month. But this is on a Norwegian server, and their site is in Norwegian too I think. Oh, and I think i pay some for the domain too.

I think you should call the site The Eyesore Gazette Razz

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:29 pm

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

HEY! angry
I resemble those remarks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Best of luck with it, I started mine at Christmas and gave up about 1 month ago when I got to "W", had the name, the server etc... and then fell out of love with it.

if you are looking to buy a name, then check out godaddy.com for prices, I got mine (.com) for $8.99, and some of the better known sellers were charging twice and three times that for the same name.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 3:03 pm

EARSORE

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 3:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Selling The Infection

How about:

www.myCDcollectionisbetterthanyours.com

www.indiesnobsfromlalanotwelcome.com

:lol!:
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 7:22 am

You can name it: In the Eye of the Sore (spoken in the vein of Sweet Savage's song In the Eye of the Storm Smile ).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 11:44 am

Nice names. Haha. I thought about The Eyesore Times, but people will always be like, "What the hell does that mean?" Haha.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Selling The Infection

How about:

www.myCDcollectionisbetterthanyours.com

Damn right, it's better than yours
I could teach you, but I have to charge
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 3:39 pm

So, I started creating my site. I'm going to try to get about 500 albums added before I go live. Right now I'm still working on the layout and such. I think I'm just going to call it The Eyesore Times. That's what I've been calling my forum reviews since about 1995 when I first started messing around online with the old school Bulletin Boards. But the name is the least important thing at this point.

I think my days at Tartarean Desire are up. The owner baffles me. The reason I left originally was because of the owner. He's cool, but he's a flake. He controls everything! He used to edit other people's reviews! Crazy. Users can't upload anything without his approval. If you review a band that's not been reviewed there before, you have to add the band or album to the band database. Well, you have to do that before being able to upload the review. But he has to approve it first! It's annoying as hell. Not to mention he's now on one of his "O' Woe Is Me, I Need A Break" hiatuses—like his third this year. The site hasn't been updated since 6/20. Pathetic.

But that convinced me to do my own site, so I guess that's cool. Haha.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 4:40 pm

Yeah, I signed up to joind the Tartarean Desire team some years ago. So I sent in a review or 5, after he approved me, then I heard nothing back from him. I might still be listed as a reviewer there, but I have never had even 1 review printed there! :lol

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 7:59 pm

kmorg wrote:
Yeah, I signed up to joind the Tartarean Desire team some years ago. So I sent in a review or 5, after he approved me, then I heard nothing back from him. I might still be listed as a reviewer there, but I have never had even 1 review printed there! :lol
It's annoying to me because this guy is kind of screwing bands over. Like right now, I have a few bands asking where their reviews are. Well, they're sitting on my PC! I can e-mail them the reviews, but what good does that do? It doesn't expose them to all the potential fans that Tartarean Desire would draw, you know? So they send me a CD just so I can write them a review and e-mail it to them? Not fair at all.

Not only that, when I rejoined this time, I was sent CDs from 2005 and 2006 to review! Meaning that no one had reviewed them! WTF? I'm sure bands and labels want to wait 2 years for a review. Plus, they don't screen reviewers. There's a kid who was reviewing like 4 albums a day. He was pissing me off because his facts were all messed up and he never mentioned the songs! Finally I said something to him and he started mentioning songs. But his reviews still sucked. Then the main US editor (who also has no admin access to the site, just handles sending out promos and such) tells me that this particular reviewer admitted to reviewing the album while listening to it...FOR THE FIRST TIME! So he writes a review as he goes along! That's pathetic and it does a disservice to the bands, labels, and fans!

Anyway, rant over. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 2:39 am

I think I might call it this:

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM GetchaRocksOff

A little nod to the band that first got me into music.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 4:17 am

cool!

PostSubject: Re: Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM   Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking Of Starting My Own Site Similar To NLTM
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next