Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style

Go down 
+21
EvyMetal
Jesusandmetal23
Sutekh
Neuropete
Hamer12
ultmetal
James B.
the sentinel
kmorg
AlbertMond
QuothTheRaven
rattpoison
Metallic Blaze
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
thejokeriv
manny
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
Schbopo
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 12:15 pm

Bad Company sort of got tired for me but i'll listen if they come on.

The Cult could be draw jopping good at times.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:06 pm

25. Rollins Band-Liar
A song for the ages! Henry Rollins, straight out of Black Flag, gives us a psychology lesson with the classic "Liar". This song has a great message, acting as a wicked attack on...well, that's the thing; it can apply to so many different situations! Religion, relationships, the government. They just fit with everything! Oh, and of course the music is kickass too, with almost jazz arrangements in the spoken word parts before switching to some punky, thrashy awesomeness in the chorus. Love the video too, with Henry all painted red. That was cool. Anyway, just a downright fierce and aggressive song with great lyrics and a universal message: don't trust a liar!

24. Survivor-Eye Of The Tiger
The signature "sports movie" AOR sound of Survivor broke into the mainstream when they were asked to do a song for the Rocky III Soundtrack. That song, "Eye Of The Tiger" would go down in history as one of the best things to come out of the 80's. Okay, while it really isn't my favorite Survivor song, it's really hard not to love this tune. It's inspiring. I mean, sure the "follow your dreams and never give up" lyrics are cheesy as all hell but they still manage to come off as completely genuine, and that opening guitar riff is one of the coolest ever put to tape. It's all given life by the beret-wearing tough guy himself, Dave Bickler. His voice is like what Steve Perry's would be if he grew some balls. It's no wonder that this song will forever be connected to working out and sports, because it just pumps you up and makes you feel like you can take on the world...or at least Clubber Lang.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:23 pm

23. Tesla-Love Song
They were labeled as hair metal, but Tesla's forte was more in the blues-based hard rock camp, probably most evident on the big hit "Love Song". Let me just say that this is THE GREATEST POWER BALLAD EVER. The classical guitar intro (dedicated to Randy Rhoads) is freakin' beautiful, and everything after doesn't let up. Unlike most ballads, it doesn't come of as sappy or lame at all. Instead, it's genuinely touching and romantic. I should really look into Tesla a bit more, because "Love Song" is definitely one of my favorite songs of all time.

22. Y&T-Mean Streak
This band never got the credit it deserved. Great vocals, great riffs, just all around a solid band. "Mean Streak" is 100% rowdy rock n' roll in the vein of Van Halen or UFO, and contained one of my personal favorite rock guitar riffs. Menekitti (?) has such a cool metal voice. Powerful. I know that their only real hit was "Summertime Girls", but for whatever reason, this is the only Y&T song I ever heard on the radio. Weird. Well, I ain't complaining. It's good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 6:27 pm

Y&T RULES!!! 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 11840

Tesla - not so much.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 pm

I am fan of the Rollins Band, and I have to agree with you, almost a jazz like arrangement on parts of that song.

I can't stand Survivor.

Tesla is a great band and should have never been lumped in with the other hair metal bands of the era, I used to hate this song but over the years I have come around and enjoy it.

Funny I just listened to that Y & T album today and I agree great riff and song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Y & T kick serious booty and your right, they should have been bigger.

Tesla is one of my favorite bands ever, just a rock band making great music without the trappings.

Survivor is alright, fluffy but alright.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:21 pm

21. Diamond Head-Am I Evil
In the New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, one band (that wasn't Iron Maiden, Saxon or Judas Priest) reigned above all others. That band was Diamond Head, and they're most significant contribution to the world of all things heavy was "Am I Evil". This dark and sinister metal masterpiece crams more awesome guitar riffs into one song than most metal bands have in their whole career. Just listening to the minute long opening and just see if that doesn't set the mood for what comes next. Seriously, this 7 minute epic is bone chillingly EVIL. If any other band had tried to do this, it would have come off as laughable and about as threatening as a death threat from a three year old (I'm talking to you, Metallica), but the madcap vocals of Sean Harris in addition to the legendary guitar licks of underrated axeman Brain Tatler make a truly chilling tale of a man's killing spree....with some awesome solos to boot.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 pm

I remember reading a sort article on Diamond Head in Hit Parader, where the writer compared them to Led Zeppelin. I did not actually hear their music for a few years after I read the article, and while I do not see where the Led Zeppelin comparison came from, I do understand why they where considered such a great band and it is shame that they where never able to break thru to the metal masses.

This song is a great song and I will be forever grateful to Metallica for covering this classic.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 am

Am I Evil - great song! I never heard the original until after the Metallica cover. Both Diamond Head and Metallica owe each other thanks - Lars to Diamond Head for helping the early Metallica sound and DIamond Head to Metallica for increasing their popularity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 am

Amazing song. I aways wonder what held these guys back? Marketing, were they hard to deal with, lack of that big hit song? If nothing else, Metallica kept them in the public eye.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:39 pm

20. Aerosmith-Last Child
We all know that Aerosmith is one of the most famous and enduring rock bands of all time, so pretty much anything from their early hits would be fair game. Still, I had to give the edge to a personal favorite tune; the funky riff-rocker "Last Child". Rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford wrote this one, and it surely display his talents (as well as the rest of the band's). It opens up with a bizarre spacey section, but the ultra-funky groove that comes in about 20 seconds in makes you forget all about it. Brad and Joe are at their best here, trading licks on the main part and Perry handing in one of the best guitar solos evah!! Now, let me just say that I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan. I have a lot of respect for them and would consider myself a casual fan, but am by no means a die hard. For whatever reason though, this song jumps out at me as certainly one of their best. It's hard-rocking, raw, and gritty but still has this bluesy, good-time feeling about it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 9:56 pm

The Last Child not only has a great groove and killer interplay by Perry and Whitford, but has some Steven Tyler best stoned out lyrics, pure poetry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 12:18 pm

When Aerosmith was still raw and edgy and kicked some serious butt.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm

19. Foghat-Slow Ride
Awww yeah, now we're talkin, right? "Slow Ride" Foghat's biggest hit and is either the best driving song of all time or the best sex-havin' song of all time. What a smurfing classic it is. The blues and boogie guitars, the funky bass riffs...just the whole "let's get it on!" vibe to this one never fails to get me pumped up. But this is another one of those songs that proves why 'single edits' SUCK BALLS. The full eight minute version absolutely rules, and having only the first three minutes doesn't compare one bit. Either way, you can't help but love it. Positively and undeniably a classic in every sense.

18. Quiet Riot-The Wild And The Young
Quiet Riot were one of the first real metal bands to make it big, opening a lot of doors for future hard-rockers to get their break. Sure, this song off of their third record wasn't exactly their big career-defining song they were going for, but it's certainly one of their catchiest. "The Wild And The Young" is a pop-driven stadium hymn celebrating those crazy kids of the 80's. Good times, man. Good times. The video for this was pretty cool too. It was this "No rock n' roll" culture in the future and everybody's guitars were being destroyed and stuff! O NOEZ! But then Quiet Riot came in, jammed out on this tune, and saved the day. Well, they actually got arrested at the end, but that's beside the point. Anyway, just a timeless piece of 80's cheese. It might not have been the one that put QR on the map, but it's the one that made me pick up the map in the first place.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 pm

I have never cared for Foghat. My brother was a big fan but I passed.

I actually like Quiet Riot alot and this was not a little pop song from these boyz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:18 pm

Foghat was good on the radio driving around on a summer day but I never bought any.

QR was sort of like a big joke that I think they were in on. Nothing serious, just rockin'.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:20 pm

Schbopo wrote:
20. Aerosmith-Last Child
We all know that Aerosmith is one of the most famous and enduring rock bands of all time, so pretty much anything from their early hits would be fair game. Still, I had to give the edge to a personal favorite tune; the funky riff-rocker "Last Child". Rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford wrote this one, and it surely display his talents (as well as the rest of the band's). It opens up with a bizarre spacey section, but the ultra-funky groove that comes in about 20 seconds in makes you forget all about it. Brad and Joe are at their best here, trading licks on the main part and Perry handing in one of the best guitar solos evah!! Now, let me just say that I'm not a huge Aerosmith fan. I have a lot of respect for them and would consider myself a casual fan, but am by no means a die hard. For whatever reason though, this song jumps out at me as certainly one of their best. It's hard-rocking, raw, and gritty but still has this bluesy, good-time feeling about it.

"Last Child". Man, what a groover.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 11:24 am

Tesla- 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_lol
Y & T- 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 25679 Just saw them at a small club in Modesto

Aerosmith- great tune Schbopo but calling Brad Whitford "rhythm guitarist" 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 685534 Shame on you youngster. IMHO, he is the better of the two in Aerosmith and at least the most consistant.

Foghat-a time and a place kinda band for me. Followed that progresssion right out of Savoy Brown and of course they were a staple for any band doing keg party's to cover .

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm

17. Ted Nugent-Stranglehold
After Terrible Ted split from the Amboy Dukes, his first solo outing contained this classic tune. Why is this song so high up on the list? What makes it one of the single greatest hard rock songs of all time? Well, if you have to ask, you've obviously never heard it, but I'll tell you anyway. Here's five good reasons why "Stranglehold" kicks so much ass.
5. The opening guitar riff
4. Derek St. Holmes
3. The lyrics (If a house gets in my way, baby, ya know I'll burn it down!!!) headbanger
2. Ted doesn't talk!!!
1. The extended guitar jam
There. There's five perfectly legit reasons as to why this song is guaranteed to punch you in the face. The live version off of "Double Live Gonzo" is even better than the studio version. And really, you gotta love Uncle Ted...especially when he keeps his mouth shut.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 pm

Over the years despite the over saturation of radio play, I still love this song and you are right when Ted Nugent shuts up and plays his guitar, the man can do no wrong.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 pm

16. Judas Priest-Heading Out To The Highway
Priest...the undisputed metal GODS. Their hook laden heavy metal is at it's finest on 1981's "Heading Out To The Highway". With it's memorable guitar riff, the manic vocals of Rob Halford (who still kinda had hair at this point) and it's insanely catchy chorus, it became a minor hit and a fan favorite and concert staple for years to come. The melodic, harmony soloing between Glen and KK is pretty great too. If you're ever in doubt about why it is that Judas Priest are so widely respected and revered as such legends, look no further. This tune is bombastically heavy and yet commercially accessible, which is what they truly excel at. Backseat drivin' and your hands ain't on the wheel! Twisted Evil

15. Thin Lizzy-The Rocker
One of only two relevant Irish bands and the only one who had some balls, Thin Lizzy's first real hard rocker was this badass little ditty. Featuring one nasty guitar riff, some killer vox and a groovy bass line from Phil Lynott. The "Hey, look at how awesome I am!" style of lyrics is usually stupid, but it works here because Phil was genuinely awesome, so he had every right to boast about it. Eric Bell's extended wah-wah guitar solo is epically hilarious. Long story short, Thin Lizzy was one of the coolest, hardest-rocking bands to come out of the 1970's, and this song happens to be a personal favorite of mine amongst their catalog.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:57 am

Quote :
16. Judas Priest-Heading Out To The Highway

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 778825 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 778825 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 778825 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 778825 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 778825 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 778825
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 2:28 am

manny wrote:
Over the years despite the over saturation of radio play, I still love this song and you are right when Ted Nugent shuts up and plays his guitar, the man can do no wrong.

that's true.

Also nice to see "The Rocker", which I actually like better than "The Boys Are Back". Nice to see a great song remembered.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 5:41 am

I love both Judas Priest and Thin Lizzy songs.

BTW in that Thin Lizzy 'The Rocker' he is taking the persona of a rocker and not a mod, which why the lyrics are filled with such self boasting, it is an interesting topic to take on since Lynott is Irish and not British, also should be noted this was recorded several years before The Who took on this subject on their very excellent 'Quadrophenia'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Ted never clicked with me, I recognize the talent but somehow it doesn't move me.

Love that Priest song and Thin Lizzy gets all kind of props from me for breaking down walls like they did. Great music and charismatic front man, opened many doors that U2 walked through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next