Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style

Go down 
+21
EvyMetal
Jesusandmetal23
Sutekh
Neuropete
Hamer12
ultmetal
James B.
the sentinel
kmorg
AlbertMond
QuothTheRaven
rattpoison
Metallic Blaze
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
thejokeriv
manny
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
Schbopo
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Quote :

TheNazgul wrote:
the stupid party antem by the B-boys this is a great list and ups my respect for those under 25.

Artistic intent was actually to mock '80s culture.
The irony was, of course, lost on said '80s culture.

I got it, I just hate the song. I actually like some of the other songs on this album, and I hate rap.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Schbopo wrote:
88. David Lee Roth-Just Like Paradise
Roth's solo career was plagued by lounge tunes and bizarre cover songs, but the albums with Vai, Sheehan, and Bissonette are all gold. The second album with this lineup, "Skyscraper" contained this awesome pop-rock gem. Roth's flamboyant showmanship, the insane guitar antics of Steve Vai, that cute video with Roth rock climbing, and a chorus you'll never forget make this one of the best commercial hard rock songs of the 80's, and cemented the fact that Roth could stand on his own as a solo artist.

Fantastic song! Probably my favorite from David Lee Roth!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:12 pm

85. Asia-Heat Of The Moment
Progressive rock was never as blatantly commercial as it was with supergroup Asia. This first track off their first album established them neatly as a band who could write pop-ish, hooky songs without totally abandoning their prog and hard rock roots. I really can't say much else about this one, other than that it showcases the best of what both rock and pop could offer during the 80's.

84. Primus-Too Many Puppies
With a clever anti-war metaphor, some very strange vocals, and a riff that can be called nothing less than thrash f'ing metal, "Too Many Puppies" was one of Primus's first songs, and still one of their best. There's a darkness in the music (and especially in the lyrics), but you can't tell because you're too busy listening to the stompin' bass groove. To everybody who says Primus weren't MEHTUL, I challenge you to listen to this song without going into spastic headbanging fits.

83. April Wine-Roller

Canadian rockers April Wine might not be remembered as one of rock's greatest bands, and hell, maybe they weren't, but "Roller" still stands as a first rate blues & boogie rock song. That simple blues rhythm is so infectious, and of course the lead guitar solo is choice as well. If this tune doesnt get your ass moving, check your pulse. You're dead.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 6:49 pm

The Stooges-No Fun- Love Iggy Pop, I am huge fanboy and love this song, despite the fact that is so simple that a chimp could have written it.

Asia-Over the years my few of this band and song have softened, I used to hate this with a passion, now I feel it is good commerical song and time capsule of that period in time.

Primus-What can you say Primus is Primus.

April Wine-Too generic.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2009 10:14 pm

82. UFO-Too Hot To Handle
One of the first and one of the best heavy metal bands, UFO combined the awesome guitar prowess of Michael Schenker, and the distinct vocals of Phil Mogg on a very catchy (albeit a tad egotistical) chorus, creating a genuine hard rock classic. Just don't hear enough of these guys on " classic rock " stations. A lot of the little geek DJ's never heard of 'em. Wouldn't know classic if it kicked them in the face. This is another song that's a lot better live, specifically on the "Strangers In The Night" album. The studio version, although still good, just doesn't compare.

81. Head East-Never Been Any Reason
Directly copied from the Head East thread: The only 'hit' I think they ever really had was the opening song on this record, "Never Been Any Reason", which is a KILLER hard rock song, with spacey keyboard sounds, very high-voiced vocals, and one of those 2-chord guitar riffs that just grabs you and never leaves. It's like Bachman Turner Overdrive meets Rush with a little bit of Lynyrd Skynyrd in there. I really should start looking into any other material they might have, as this debut was amazing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 12:08 am

Are you sure you're 19?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 2:59 pm

80. Chicago-25 Or 6 To 4
Jazz-rockers Chicago made their greatest contribution to the world or hard rock with this classic ode to insomnia. Robert Lamm was up late in the studio, trying to write a new song, and he looked up at the clock and saw it was 3:34 a.m. Or was it 3:35? He was too tired to be sure. Hence, the title: 25 minutes (or 26 minutes) to 4:00 a.m. Get it? Lucky for him, he finally came up with this song, with it's jazz trumpet, complex drumming, and of course the instantly identifiable guitar riff and incendiary solo from Terry "It's Not Loaded" Kath.

79. Savatage-Power Of The Night

The criminally underrated metal band Savatage always infused anthemic qualities into their high-speed heaviness, and it never got more anthemic than "Power Of The Night" off the album of the same name. Jon Oliva's powerful vocals create a chorus that sticks in your head forever (Raise the fist of the metal child! 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 11840 ) , and the malicious guitar antics of Criss Oliva make this one helluva metal anthem, and a testament to how awesome Savatage was/is.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2009 6:15 pm

Love UFO, just a great great band.

Never cared for Head East or Chicago.

Savatage rules.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:06 pm

78. Riot-Swords And Tequila
Riot's "Fire Down Under" is a classic piece of American metal, and I really could have picked just about any song off of it, but this opening number was so awesome, and it's the closest thing they had to a hit. It's a raw, raunchy, and energetic bar rocker, and guaranteed to get some drunk metalheads into a fight or your money back. Guitarist Mark Reale is one of the most underrated musicians on the planet, and this song will attest to the sheer epicness of him and the whole band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 pm

I have to agree with you Sloppy, Riot is very underrated and maybe the most underrated metal band in rock history, this band could never catch a break, anything that could wrong in a band's career this band has experienced.

Great song from a band very few remember.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 2:52 pm

77. Bachman Turner Overdrive-Roll On Down The Highway
The good time, driving arena rock of BTO reached its zenith on this classic hard rock tune, proving that fat guys can rock just as hard as normal people. Randy Bachman is a beast on the guitar, punching out some darned heavy riffage, and the deep, roaring vocals of Fred Turner add a lot, and make a really good 'driving' song. It's just BTO doing what they do best, making catchy and memorable hard rock. Not bad for four fat Canadian guys.

76. Angel-Tower
Angel are another band that never really got the success they deserve. They had the talent, the songwriting, and a distinctive (although kinda goofy) image. Their progressive rock masterpiece "Tower" is still awesome, though. It's got the glamm-y keyboard-drenched feel of other glam rock bands at the time, but took the heaviness up a few notches. Frank Dimino's powerful voice mixed with Punky Meadows' wild guitar shenanigans create a sound reminiscent of Queen but still entirely unique.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 3:30 pm

I have never liked Bachman, Turner and Overweight.

Angel, another underrated band and their first album and this song in particular is a prog metal classic, a style they quickly abandoned on album #2.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Schbopo wrote:
77. Bachman Turner Overdrive-Roll On Down The Highway
The good time, driving arena rock of BTO reached its zenith on this classic hard rock tune, proving that fat guys can rock just as hard as normal people. Randy Bachman is a beast on the guitar, punching out some darned heavy riffage, and the deep, roaring vocals of Fred Turner add a lot, and make a really good 'driving' song. It's just BTO doing what they do best, making catchy and memorable hard rock. Not bad for four fat Canadian guys.

Love BTO! Some of the album tracks on their first two are as heavy as anything else in 70s metal. Great band.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 1:09 am

good job younster...

keep it coming

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 1:52 pm

75. Heroes Del Silencio-Avalancha
Not sure how many of you know these guys, but I'm sure some of our Latin American residents know them. These strictly Spanish rockers' final album "Avalancha" yielded the monumental title track, with its huge chorus and some choice guitar work. I don't even care that I can't understand a word they're saying, I just want to crank this tune to 11 and maybe take a language course while I'm at it.

74. J. Geils Band-Love Stinks

When The J Geils Band ditched their signature blues-rock sound and embraced a more pop oriented approach, only then did they actually have some success, and one of their biggest hits was this ode to misanthropy. This song just makes you want to go call up your ex-girlfriend and call her a cheating skank. It really gets you in the spirit of the song, with Peter Wolf's depressing howl and that weird video with the tomato. It's just a great pop-rock song that totally abandons the traditional lyrical content of the genre, namely love and loss, and instead of just making something sugary-sweet or totally dismal, they created something truly unique, with an air of spite and sadness, but still managing to rock very hard.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Shhhbop I have to give you props this is most diverse list I believe I have ever seen!

I have never heard of Heroes Del Silencio, so I'll to check them out,

and I have never been a fan of the J. Geils Band, but like James B says, keep 'em coming.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 5:51 pm

Schbopo wrote:
78. Riot-Swords And Tequila
Riot's "Fire Down Under" is a classic piece of American metal, and I really could have picked just about any song off of it, but this opening number was so awesome, and it's the closest thing they had to a hit. It's a raw, raunchy, and energetic bar rocker, and guaranteed to get some drunk metalheads into a fight or your money back. Guitarist Mark Reale is one of the most underrated musicians on the planet, and this song will attest to the sheer epicness of him and the whole band.

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 11840
Riot are great! Unfortunately I only have Thundersteel and Fire Down Under. I'd like to check out more of their stuff sooner or later.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:01 pm

Schbopo wrote:
76. Angel-Tower
Angel are another band that never really got the success they deserve. They had the talent, the songwriting, and a distinctive (although kinda goofy) image. Their progressive rock masterpiece "Tower" is still awesome, though. It's got the glamm-y keyboard-drenched feel of other glam rock bands at the time, but took the heaviness up a few notches. Frank Dimino's powerful voice mixed with Punky Meadows' wild guitar shenanigans create a sound reminiscent of Queen but still entirely unique.

Great song! Deserves to be much higher on the list.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
76. Angel-Tower

Great song! Deserves to be much higher on the list.

This song is one of my seminal "glam" songs; one of the songs that introduced me to the glam genre.

Just a great tune!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 8:26 pm

manny wrote:
Shhhbop I have to give you props this is most diverse list I believe I have ever seen!

I second that!!! great list Skeebo!!!!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:04 pm

Schbopo wrote:
75. Heroes Del Silencio-Avalancha
Not sure how many of you know these guys, but I'm sure some of our Latin American residents know them. These strictly Spanish rockers' final album "Avalancha" yielded the monumental title track, with its huge chorus and some choice guitar work. I don't even care that I can't understand a word they're saying, I just want to crank this tune to 11 and maybe take a language course while I'm at it.

YES. Although my favorite is 'Entre dos Tierras'. BTW..'Power of the Night'? 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_razz I would say is..definitely far from hard rock, though maybe say 'Strange Wings' is close enough? That one just seemed to come out of nowhere is all. 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_smile

Have you heard 'Deliverance' yet? 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_razz Check out 'Tower of Strength' and 'Beyond the Pale' too. I want the band to get in, lol.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:39 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

BTW..'Power of the Night'? I would say is..definitely far from hard rock, though maybe say 'Strange Wings' is close enough? That one just seemed to come out of nowhere is all.

Read the guidelines on the first page. Anything in between Survivor and Megadeth in terms of heaviness is fair game. Razz
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 9:58 pm

WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
WELL THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING

lol! I love you.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 10:02 pm

very well then

in addition to The Mission - Deliverance:

Praying Mantis - Captured City (otherwise known as 'the top of the mountain')

i also <3 u also ur my everything
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style   100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs-Schbopo style
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next