Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA

Go down 
+8
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
TheGooch
kmorg
rattpoison
Smindas
mc666
fingers
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Empty
PostSubject: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 3:56 am

Which one do you prefer I think all of Savatage is better than MetallicA after they lost Cliff Burton. But also I have to say Savatage were just as good or even better than Cliff Burton era MetallicA when they went progressive with Gutter Ballet. Also I think Criss Oliva is the Cliff Burton of lead guitar.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 7:07 am

i don't think the two are comparable. both had strengths in different areas.

fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 7:15 am

you're probably right
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 7:43 am

Yeah, they're very different, especially seeing as you brought up Gutter Ballet. Cliff era Metallica was just balls-out thrash, whereas Savatage were getting more progressive ballad styled stuff.

Last edited by on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeSat Jun 09, 2007 9:41 am

Its interesting because i think Imao Savatage's Sirens and Metallica's Ride The Lightning which both came out in 1984 were the most important radically changing Metal albums since Judas Priest's Stained Class in 1978. Metal just didn't sound the same after those two releases in 1984.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2007 4:09 am

Not comparable, both both great! Probably my 2 most favorite bands.

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Metallica was Cliff Burton, Even though Lars was "the leader". I believe\feel Cliff really ran the show until.....

Cliff was so creative, classically trained. uggh

David
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 6:32 am

cliff made the early metallic era with his classical training. he broought so much to the table compared to the others (granted they can all play brilliantly)+

i dont have ant savatage records
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:52 pm

I agree that both bands are great legends in heavy metal but comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges (to borrow and old cliche).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Someone please tell me how many damn songs Cliff wrote! Haha. This whole notion of Cliff being the metal behind Metallica is absolutely retarded. You ever hear what kind of music Cliff listened to? Yeah, totally metal! Pffft.

Cliff is in heaven playing in a country rapcore gangsta fun band, laughing at you all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Quote :

You'd better get to buyin', wanker.

Have you ever heard them. You could be like Uncle Saxon, and completely miss the genius of this band.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Its like comparing apples to oranges.Both are great in their own right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:32 am

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Quote :
You'd better get to buyin', wanker.
Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:45 am

Eyesore wrote: You ever hear what kind of music Cliff listened to? Yeah, totally metal! Pffft. Cliff is in heaven playing in a country rapcore gangsta fun band, laughing at you all.

Yeah I believe The Misfits were his favorite band. Not exactly Country Rapcore.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 am

well.. so what did Burton listen to, besides the almighty Misfits?

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:53 am

Cliff was into classical, jazz, country and blues, he wasn't simply this monstrous metalhead responsible for Metallica's style at the time or when the began to evolve. Kill 'Em All has very little contributions from Burton, as does ...And Justice For All, and both killer metal albums, not really different from Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets.

I just don't know where this notion came from that Cliff was what held this band together, when it comes to the style of music they played. It's just silly. Knowing what Cliff was into, he probably would have been the first one to evolve and change in his musical style. Saying Metallica wouldn't have recorded the Black album, or wouldn't have done Load, Reload, and St. Anger if he hadn't died is just nonsensical. It's all assumption with no basis in fact.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 1:54 am

no argument, i was just curious.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 am

I can't see Cliff being into The Load albums knowing how he was a shredder on the bass and even though he was into some nonmetal music i bet he loved playing metal. Also his contribution is very well known as he was the one who brought the classical influence and melody to the band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:48 am

troublezone wrote:
I can't see Cliff being into The Load albums knowing how he was a shredder on the bass and even though he was into some nonmetal music i bet he loved playing metal. Also his contribution is very well known as he was the one who brought the classical influence and melody to the band.
And asked back in 1986, no one would ever have envisioned James, Kirk, and Lars playing what was on Load. People get old, they mellow out. It happens. There is no doubt that the Black album and everything after wouldn't have been the way they were had Cliff lived, simply because that would change the dynamics of the band, but there's no way anyone can say that the music wouldn't have been in the same vein. There are no facts to back any of this up, yet people state it as metal law.

How often do we all read people saying Cliff made Metallica, and had he not died Metallica would not have changed? Happens all the time! For all we know, Cliff could have quit the band after that tour when he died. We don't know. You guys probably know I'm passionate about music, but this one gets me going! Haha. I can accept opinions of others, but in the metal realm this opinion is largely accepted as fact. It drives me mad!

:blah:
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 2:54 am

Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
And asked back in 1986, no one would ever have envisioned James, Kirk, and Lars playing what was on Load. People get old, they mellow out. It happens. There is no doubt that the Black album and everything after wouldn't have been the way they were had Cliff lived, simply because that would change the dynamics of the band, but there's no way anyone can say that the music wouldn't have been in the same vein. There are no facts to back any of this up, yet people state it as metal law.

How often do we all read people saying Cliff made Metallica, and had he not died Metallica would not have changed? Happens all the time! For all we know, Cliff could have quit the band after that tour when he died. We don't know. You guys probably know I'm passionate about music, but this one gets me going! Haha. I can accept opinions of others, but in the metal realm this opinion is largely accepted as fact. It drives me mad!

:blah:
All i know is what i feel and i feel Cliff would have kept the band somehow more rooted in actual musicianship which i also feel declined after the Black album.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 6:16 am

Cliff probably would have left 'tallica, maybe just after Justice, and joined a jazz fusion band. You know it makes sense.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:15 am

Old Metallica had a lot less filler than old Savatage did.

I think "Gutter Ballet" is really where they started losing it. I don't like any songs on that album except for the title track.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 8:39 am

i fink cliff burtons talent has been exagerrated due to the fact metallica music went downhill after he died
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:21 am

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
i fink cliff burtons talent has been exagerrated due to the fact metallica music went downhill after he died

Totally agree, as was his influence considering he has very few songwriting credits with Metallica.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 10:23 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
caniplaywithmadness? wrote:

Totally agree, as was his influence considering he has very few songwriting credits with Metallica.

He was partly responsible for keeping the band sufficiently intoxicated ensuring excellent musical compositions. :idea:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA   Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage vs Cliff Burton era MetallicA
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next