Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Live and TERRIBLE

Go down 
+8
TheGooch
mc666
zombiewalkin
Lurideath
kmorg
ultmetal
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
12 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 10:34 am

Have you ever been a fan of a band's recordings, then saw them LIVE and was disappointed/turned off by their poor performance?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 11:13 am

Oh yes, several times. My numero uno disappointment was The Cult. When I saw them opening for Metallica in the summer of '89 they were simply god-awful. Ian Astbury was drunk as a skunk and kept blowing lyrics, falling all over the stage, and eventually he just laid down on the drum riser and babbled into the mike every once in a while. I found out later that by that point in the tour they were so tired of being abused by the Metallica crowds that they had simply given up trying to win them over. Nice huh? I still love all of the Cult's albums but I never paid another dime to see 'em live.

The first time I saw Warrior Soul was a little bit underwhelming as well. It was just after the CHILL PILL album was released in 1993 and Kory Clarke had fired everybody who had played on the album (except bassist Pete McClanahan) so the "band" at that time consisted of Kory, Pete and two guitarists (which was weird cuz W.S. had always been a one-guitar band up to that point!) and a drummer he'd picked up somewhere. It was obvious that this "band" had not been playing together for very long cuz they were out of sync and seemed to all be playing different songs at times. Fortunately I saw Warrior Soul again a few more times after that show (a year or two later, when they'd released the SPACE AGE PLAYBOYS album) and by then Kory had a solid new lineup that simply RIPPED, which made up for that awful first time.

Last edited by on Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 11:13 am

I saw King's X one time and they were REALLY bad. I love King's X but on this particular night, well, let's just say it was a band night for them. They were opening for Hammerfall and Dio. Apparently they were having problems with their stage sound or something and Doug Pinnick was becoming visibly pissed. Towards the of the third song, Doug threw his bass on the ground, finished singing the song and walked off stage, leaving his bandmates looking at the crowd. They shrugged and walked off stage as well. LOL!

I've seen Dokken several times and all but one of those times Don Dokken sound HORRIBLE. The backup vocals by Jeff Pilson were better than the lead vox. Also, I would have swore that Don Dokken's feet were stappled to the floor because he didn't move at all.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 11:42 am

For me, it was Black Label Society.

My buddies and I went to see them on the "Mafia" tour and it was SO disappointing. Let me start by saying that getting 6 of us together for a concert is a chore in of itself (married, kids, mortgage, etc.)these days, so we were all really psyched for a night out of brews & music.

First off, Zakk didn't even speak to the crowd till at least a good 6 or 7 songs into it, and even then it was just "Philly, f**k yea!!". The band sounded fine, but they sounded just like the cd's, meaning they didn't improvise one bit, didn't do any cool cover tunes, extended solos, move around the stage, no cool lighting, stage props, nothing. I could have saved the money I spent on a ticket and just sat at home and played a cd. It was the same experience. It was one of the most boring concerts I'd ever attended. And it wasn't just me. We all walked out and kinda looked at each other and went "Gee, that wasn't what I expected".

I don't expect every act I see to put on a KISS-like display of pyrotecnics or do extended Allman Brother jams that go on forever, but give me something to remember about your show that I can't get from listening to the cd. I've even seen Zakk a few times with Ozzy and he was much more animated. That BLS experience has certainly tainted my view of the band.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Symphony X was really disapointing

Dimmu Borgir sucked

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Yeah quite a bit. Dokken, Wasp, Megadeth, are a few that come to mind.
Back to top Go down

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Thin Lizzy -

I have been a huge Sykes fan for most of my life, so I was completely
stoked to see them at the famous Surf Ballroom in Iowa. A guy
named Eric Sardinas opened and completely changed my life (he has been
my fav guitarist ever since.). My friends were running light and
sound, as per usual. They told me before the show that Sykes was
being realy whiney before hand, complaining about everything.
They came out and played at about 20%. Everyone sounded great,
but you could tell JS did not want to be there!! I spoke to
Gorham after the show and asked where Sykes was and he said, "In the
bus and, definately, not coming out".

Well, at least I got a new favorite guitarist that night!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 3:54 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Thin Lizzy -

I have been a huge Sykes fan for most of my life, so I was completely
stoked to see them at the famous Surf Ballroom in Iowa. A guy
named Eric Sardinas opened and completely changed my life (he has been
my fav guitarist ever since.). My friends were running light and
sound, as per usual. They told me before the show that Sykes was
being realy whiney before hand, complaining about everything.
They came out and played at about 20%. Everyone sounded great,
but you could tell JS did not want to be there!! I spoke to
Gorham after the show and asked where Sykes was and he said, "In the
bus and, definately, not coming out".

Well, at least I got a new favorite guitarist that night!

And you got to meet and speak to Scott Gorham. I'd kill for that opportunity.

ult
Back to top Go down

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 4:13 pm

Quote :
And you got to meet and speak to Scott Gorham. I'd kill for that opportunity.

Yeah - He was super cool and waited until the very last person standing
outside took off (and it was cold that night!), but he wasn't the
reason I was there.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 4:16 pm

I had the opposite happen when I saw Lita Ford open for Malmsteen in 88. She was kick tail live and then I listened to the album that she was touring and it totally sucked. LOL
Back to top Go down

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Innaresting thread...I've personally never been to a shitty concert...even Bryan Adams had guitar solos aplenty...Be curious as to who've really smurf poo the bed on stage.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 12:55 am

Ozzy... that guy has just lost it.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 5:44 am

the worst live band i have ever seen was guns and roses. their live reputation is legendary but the new line up sucked.
1. the lineup changes so often no one really knows the members so their is no connection to the group except axl.
2. axl threw a wobbly cos someone lobbed a bottle and claimed he was not enjoying himself.
3. the guitars SUCKED
4. they did not play to the crowd.
5. no energy compared to the metallica concert the day before.
6. guest vocalist sebastian bach (skid row) sang better than axl

they were kinda shite
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 9:36 am

My wife went to see Eddie Money a few years ago. She said that he was so drunk he tripped around the stage, slurred all his words and was terrible. I've never been a fan, but she was really disappointed.

A friend saw David Lee Roth on tour a few years ago, I believe he was touring with Hagar. He said that Roth was drunk and put on a terrible show. I saw him on the Eat 'Em And Smile tour. On that tour, Roth and his band were excellent!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 10:04 am

Quote :
A friend saw David Lee Roth on tour a few years ago, I believe he was touring with Hagar. He said that Roth was drunk and put on a terrible show. I saw him on the Eat 'Em And Smile tour. On that tour, Roth and his band were excellent!

I saw DLR on the "Little Ain't Enough Tour" and I thought Dave was more concerned about jumping around the stage, doing karate kicks, swinging swords and being a spectacle more than actually singing the songs. The band was tight and provided great back-up vocals, but Dave just yelped and did splits. Dave's always been about the "show", and it was entertaining, so I didn't hold it against him, but I'd never pay to see him again.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2007 2:00 pm

I saw Def Leppard back in the late 80s & it was the worst show i've ever seen, the whole show SUCKED. The best show I've seen was Kings X in the Bronco Bowl in Dallas in Nov 2002. I've seen them live about 10 times & this was by far the best. Vinnie & Dime were there & i sat next to Vinne at the soundboard & shot the breeze all night, Dime was drunk as hell & fell into my lap coming up the stairs, I had not seen him in about 6 years & he actually remembered my name, I was impressed, I cant remember anything sober.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeFri Jun 08, 2007 11:50 pm

Petra 1991-- Unseen Power tourd... during the in between band stage switch, I was hearing some very wonderful raunchy guitar tone from Bob Hartman's rack.. checking levels y'know... simply raunchy.. I'm thinking yea. this is gonna be great live.... they came out and sucked. no guitar in the mains, drums were too loud and so were the vocals.... I'm thinking shoot the soundman because there's no guitar, none..... it sucked so badly because the opening band 'the prayer chain' were heavy lots of guitar.....

Shout.... 1989... I cannot stand someone who stands in the front, sings and keeps his eyes closed the whole time.... c-stone... Ken Tamplin with the loudest backing vocals(taped, which wasn't uncommon then) but they were beyond obvious.....

Whitecross 88 at c-stone I believe. Rex Carroll has a temper tantrum as it were, because his crappy wireless won't work properly. It's cutting in and out, he having attitude with his tech, in the middle of the song he stands by his rack leans against it and starts to rap his fingers on it waiting.... DUDE plug in $#@^ chord and play through the crap... what a wuss.... they sucked...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 12:14 pm

i saw wasp a few months ago and i was extremely disapointed. you could tell blackie couldn't be bothered. during guitar solos he would sit on a chair behind the amps, lol. he is looking pretty bloated these days... also they wouldn't throw picks to the audience coz you had to buy them. 3 picks for £8?!?!?! they also played for about an hour which sucked coz they didn't play some songs that were on the setlists like f*ck like a beast, chainsaw charlie and a few more. it took me a while to get back into wasp because of it
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 3:48 pm

I have seen GAMMA RAY a couple of times but never liked them live (but i realy love their studio cds). KAI HANSEN vocals were just very very bad live. Y&T at BANG YOUR HEAD was also disapointing.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 3:59 pm

Y&T are a disappointing live band. No energy at all on stage and they just stand there like manequins.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 3:45 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Y&T are a disappointing live band. No energy at all on stage and they just stand there like manequins.

Yeah, at least that what happend when i saw them. Also their set list was not very good with many of their more blues/rock songs instead of their more heavy rock/metal/hard rock songs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Live and TERRIBLE Empty
PostSubject: Re: Live and TERRIBLE   Live and TERRIBLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Live and TERRIBLE
Page 1 of 1