Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who picked up Sonic Boom today?

Go down 
+20
jstate
krokus
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
biddle
A Handful of Wayne
Metal Misfit
Cliffy
SAHB Healer
thejokeriv
JBall_Z
kmorg
the sentinel
Metallic Blaze
ultmetal
akeldama
Schbopo
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:07 am

I listened to it in-store at the local indie shop, its not bad, but nothing that screams buy me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:14 pm

I just got SONIC BOOM about two minutes ago! One of my co-workers was stopping @ Walmart to pick one up for himself so I asked him to grab me one. Will be spinning it post haste!! Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Headbang

EDIT: Just opened the shrink wrap and I must say I'm not thrilled with the packaging... the SONIC BOOM CD has its own tray but the bonus CD and DVD just slide into pockets in those little cardboard fold-out flaps? That ain't good. I suggest everyone handle this package with kid gloves, otherwise your DVD and "KLASSICS" CD might end up getting scratched very easily...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:45 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

EDIT: Just opened the shrink wrap and I must say I'm not thrilled with the packaging... the SONIC BOOM CD has its own tray but the bonus CD and DVD just slide into pockets in those little cardboard fold-out flaps? That ain't good. I suggest everyone handle this package with kid gloves, otherwise your DVD and "KLASSICS" CD might end up getting scratched very easily...

I don't know about you, but I had a tough time getting the CD out of the tray. The damn thing just wouldn't come out, and I couldn't force it because I didn't want to break it before I even listened to it. I finally got it out, and realized that the only way to see Eric Singer was to struggle with it for 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Schbopo wrote:

I don't know about you, but I had a tough time getting the CD out of the tray. The damn thing just wouldn't come out, and I couldn't force it because I didn't want to break it before I even listened to it. I finally got it out, and realized that the only way to see Eric Singer was to struggle with it for 10 minutes.

Yea, now that you mention it, I had to pry (very gently) at the CD for a few seconds before it finally popped loose too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Although I'm only a casual Kiss fan (the hits), I'm probably going to pick this up at work Friday.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:55 pm

My first spin impression of SONIC BOOM -- me likee. Will need to listen to it a few more times to pick out particular faves but after the first run thru I think I already like it better than PSYCHO CIRCUS.

The re-recorded oldies on the second disc don't really sound all that radically different from the original versions -- though I gotta say, Paul sounds pretty strained on the new "Forever"... maybe they shoulda skipped that one.

Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 7:59 pm

DeathCult wrote:
I listened to it in-store at the local indie shop, its not bad, but nothing that screams buy me.

+ 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 am

I listened to Nikki's copy...it does sound a little shrill/high end-y in places...almost like a hint of distortion...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 10:00 am

I picked up my copy yesterday. I didn't have allot of time to wander around the local Wal-Mart, but I didn't see any huge Kiss Korners or overwhelming Kiss product placement as I walked towards the back of the store to the music section. The Kiss display in the music section was pretty sparse as well. Just a little cardboard stand with the new album up top and a small selection of their back catalog below. Nothing impressive there either.

As for the album, I'm kinda digging what I'm hearing. I'll give it some proper spins today in work. Got the Kiss Klassics going right now. Decent enough. I wouldn't have bought this one on it's own, but as a bonus disc, it's cool.

Don't know if I'll ever get around to watching the dvd.

EDIT: Anyone else think that out of all their songs in their back-catalog to re-record, 'Christine Sixteen' got included? Was that a big hit for them? Hearing a 50-something Gene singing it now sounds even creepier than it did back in 1970-whatever.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 6:12 pm

I bought it today, a lot more expensive then in the usa, 21,95 euros (around 25$) but i am still happy. It such a great album. I think before they started writing the songs, they listen to all their 70s and 80s albums because you can hear a lot of parts of KISS classics in those new songs. Still, they are just great songs thats why those classic 70s and 80s parts of KISS are great in it. A real buy or die album for any hard rock/heavy rock or KISS fan.
Love ERIC SINGER vocals on ALL FOR THE GLORY, also the song is just increible. SAY YEAH is an other fave. NEVER ENOUGHT sound like POISON´s NOTHING BUT A GOOD TIME, but still great. STAND is cool too and DANGER US too. Just great. I am very happy what KISS did on this record.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 6:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

EDIT: Anyone else think that out of all their songs in their back-catalog to re-record, 'Christine Sixteen' got included? Was that a big hit for them? Hearing a 50-something Gene singing it now sounds even creepier than it did back in 1970-whatever.

Yeah - kind of creepy that a man with a 16 year olds daughter is singing that. How do you think he would react if his daughter was sleeping with an older rock musician?
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I thought the Klassics disc was alright. Yeah, Christine Sixteen is a strange and creepy pick. May as well re-done Goin Blind while they were at it.

Haven't checked out the dvd yet. The actual album is starting to get stuck in my head. Which is all I ask of a Kiss record.

Quote :
Paul sounds pretty strained on the new "Forever"

I actually really like this ragged version.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 11:04 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yeah - kind of creepy that a man with a 16 year olds daughter is singing that. How do you think he would react if his daughter was sleeping with an older rock musician?

"Christine sixteen, yeah! Come over here and let me gum ya baby"

Sound something like that? Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 10:16 am

This might be the album of the year for me!!

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:05 am

I haven't gotten the new one yet, but the Kiss Korner out here in Ohio farm country is pretty pathetic. I did upgrade Kiss and Dressed to Kill to CD for $5 each. Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Headbang I'll go back eventually and upgrade a couple others. I'll get "the Boom" eventually.

During the Ohio State game yesterday, the College Gameday bumps were using All For the Glory! Thought that was pretty cool, though I'm guessing Gene was behind that somewhere along the line!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 10:29 am

damn i wud love to be able to go to walmart and get the old albums for five bucks each. wud love to hear the new album as well but i cant spare the cash. im hoping it will go on spotify
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 11:52 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
I haven't gotten the new one yet, but the Kiss Korner out here in Ohio farm country is pretty pathetic. I did upgrade Kiss and Dressed to Kill to CD for $5 each. Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Headbang I'll go back eventually and upgrade a couple others. I'll get "the Boom" eventually.

During the Ohio State game yesterday, the College Gameday bumps were using All For the Glory! Thought that was pretty cool, though I'm guessing Gene was behind that somewhere along the line!

ESPN has been pimping Sonic Boom for weeks on Sportcenter too. They keep playing the re-recorded version of Shout It Out Loud, All For The Glory and Modern Day Delilah when they go to commercial breaks or during highlights.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 4:52 pm

Pretty darn good album and considering I like it the way I did, I should move up from being a casual fan and start a Kiss collection (albums not merchandise-not even if I won the lottery). The Klassics disc was quite good too, even Forever (I don't think Paul's voice sounded strained) and with the exception of I Was Made For Loving You they sounded great even after all these years.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm a casual Kiss fan myself. I have like four albums total.

With all the positive reviews this new one is getting, I'm leaning more and more towards picking it up.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 7:36 pm

I really like this album a lot!

The only song I skip is "I'm An Animal"; that one has an almost Sabbath-y vibe to it IMO.

My faves are "Never Enough" and "Hot And Cold".

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 7:52 pm

I am going to see KISS tomorrow night!!!!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 8:49 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I am going to see KISS tomorrow night!!!!

Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Angry Curse you!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:34 am

OK, so after a whole bunch of spins of SONIC BOOM I can safely say I'm diggin' it. Fave tracks: "Modern Day Delilah" (strongest song on the record, they were wise to pick this as the first single), "Russian Roulette," "All For The Glory" (Singer has a decent singing voice! Who knew?) and the irresistible "Say Yeah."

I'm also digging the re-recorded "KISS KLASSICS" CD (aka "Jigoku-Retsuden") - though the new versions really don't sound radically different than the originals, the '80s tracks in particular benefit from having the cheesy high-gloss production scraped off of 'em. I still think it sounds like Paul was havin' trouble hitting the high notes in "Forever," but I appear to be the only one that thinks so, therefore I guess it's just me.

I haven't noticed any of the "wishy-washy" background noise that Cliffy described on my copy, but then I've mainly been playing the CD on the piece of crap boom box on my desk at work most of the time, or in my car which has two shot-out speakers, plus I'm still getting over a cold which has my ears and sinuses stuffed, therefore I may not be the best judge of its audio quality at this time. Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_lol

All in all - forget about PSYCHO CIRCUS, gimme SONIC BOOM. This is the "real" KISS comeback CD we were promised a dozen years ago.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 11:07 am

I don't know why people dislike Psycho Circus. Sonic Boom is a better CD for sure, but I like some of Psycho Circus a lot. The title track rules, as does Into the Void. Within is a cool Gene song. Always liked Raise You Glasses as well.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 11:22 am

I have only seen the video for the title track of "Psycho Circus" decent enough tune and the video was pretty kewl. Havn't heard the rest of the lp. I have almost purchased it a few times.

PostSubject: Re: Who picked up Sonic Boom today?   Who picked up Sonic Boom today? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who picked up Sonic Boom today?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next