Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).

Go down 
+5
Metallic Blaze
sam
Fat Freddy
manny
Troublezone
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Empty
PostSubject: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 4:49 pm

I saw this over at CMR and it was very interesting. I totally disagree with his evaluation of the Kill 'em All record though... definately no rehashed Kiss riffs! Pure Diamond Head worship!

Hello All...
I have to thank Mindcage and all of you for the kind words... The accolades of the Big "D" are always wonderful to hear... Even thru some of the strange years...

It's a long story of how I first discovered Metallica... But, I have to share it with you because it's funny...

I was in 9th grade... We had a college and career day at our high school... So, I went to check it out because it was better than being in class... LOL... There was a Beautician section and they were offering free haircuts. So, I went to get a trim on my shaggy hair... The girl trimming my hair was kinda cute, so of course I didn't care that she was in college and I was in 9th grade. Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_smile She asked how much I wanted trimmed off, I said a little, not much please. She asked if I was in a band because my hair was long. I said I want to start one, but still looking for the right guys. She then told me her brother was in a band and just released an album and they were working on their second... I was like Cool... Whatever, can I get your number... LOL...

So, needless to say, I was invited over to her house to hang out. We had to stay on the front porch because no guys or people were allowed in the house. No big deal... Well, then her brother comes pulling up home from work. She introduced me, he ignored me and brushed me off and went into the house. We hung out for a little while then she went inside to get something. I heard her telling her brother, this guy wants to be in a band, you should be nicer to him. So, she came back out and her jerky brother followed. We spoke briefly and I had to get home for dinner. So, before I left he gave me a copy of his album and told me a little about the new one coming out. I kiddingly asked him to sign the album because he might be a big star someday. He scoffed at me, but signed it anyway... Then, I got on my scooter and headed home...

I thought the cover was tasteless and evil... To me, there was nothing greater than Stryper, Iron Maiden and Queensryche... But, I put the album on for a spin... I hated it! I thought the vocals sucked and the riffs were all rehashed KISS songs with a little British Metal influences as well... But overall, I couldn't stand it...

My school chum Jimmy Griffin comes over, sees the record and starts flipping out and saying "WOW, I didn't know you liked cool music Styper-Boy, this is awesome!" He seemed to know how this trashy band was, so I said "here, its yours! And the singer signed it to, and since my name was Jimmy it would be perfect" He was so stoked and took it home before I would change my mind...

I never saw the chick again... I was too young for her I suppose...

The Album: Kill 'em All
The brother: James Hetfield

My buddy Jimmy Griffin still has the album to this day... I was so dumb... LOL...

Later that year, Jimmy brought me "Ride the Lightning"... I was completely enthrawled with this record and asked for my copy of Kill 'em All back... Of course I didn't get it back...

From that point on, I was a Metallica fan... I thought Ride the Lightning was unbelievable and there was nothing like it in the mainstream at that time... The guitar sound, the songs, the only thing I didn't like and still don't like to this day is the vocals... But, it fits Metallica, and they wouldn't be Metallica without those trashy vocals... LOL... James is no Bruce Dickenson or Geoff Tate, but the music doesn't call for that...

In 1982, I was going to local shows and backyard parties as a young teen, and there were 2 local bands... One totally sucked in my opinion, and the other that everyone hated, I loved! Again, a trashy singer but they were awesome in my opinion... I roadied for one show and dropped the guitarist guitar case on accident, he then told me "get the hell outta here fatboy"... So, I was mad but still a fan... LOL...

The band: Slayer
The guitarist: Kerry King

They had just got a record deal and recorded "Show No Mercy"... We were all excited for them, even though it was "satanic metal", I was a closet fan none the less... LOL...

Even though there were a lot of bands that I liked, I think that the influences on what metal bands I really liked came thru on our records...

Metallica
Slayer
Queensryche
Iron Maiden
Styper (TY&BA and Soldiers)
SOD

I have to credit once again, my chum Jimmy Griffin... We were playing a show in LA at a club called the Oasis... We were waiting to go on, and Jimmy took a walk down Hollywood Blvd and came back all excited about this new cassette he bought. We threw it in my truck and took a listen. It was me, Larry Farkus, Brian Khairullah and Chris Hyde...

The Cassette: SOD
The Song: March of the SOD

Man, I never forgot how stinkin heavy that was to me, Larry and Brian and we were like, this is the TICKET! "D" needs to be this heavy!!! Of course, Chris really HATED it and said it was crap! LOL... I think it was mostly because he was sick... LOL...

Any way, thanks again... This thread stirred up some forgotten memories... I thought I'd share them with you guys and gals... LOL...

Sorry for the book... Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_wink

JB-
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:09 pm

That is a cool and funny story.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:13 pm

"Rehashed KISS riffs?" Was he listening to the same record the rest of us did?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Awesome story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Rehashed KISS riffs?" Was he listening to the same record the rest of us did?

Yeah but i have no idea were he got that Kiss comparison from. Hetfield grew up on Aerosmith but not even that is a influence on Kill 'em All. It was totally fresh from Lars's NWOBHM influence on the rest of the guys.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:01 pm

That story is funny as freekin' heck!

Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Lol
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 6:34 pm

Awesome story!....."of course Chris Hyde didnt like it...."...hahaha! Love that!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 7:48 pm

The Oasis was a very kewl place for Christian bands to play. It was mostly a free place for homeless folks to come and get ministered to, music, food, prayer, and Jesus. I played there in three seperate bands. Always seemed to get the fill in spots or joined a band just before they broke up.

Jimmy is a funny person

Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Strange this is that both Deliverance and Slayer had the same producer for a couple albums, Bill Metoyer. Coincidence?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
Strange this is that both Deliverance and Slayer had the same producer for a couple albums, Bill Metoyer. Coincidence?

Bill Metoyer was kinda like Metal Blade Records' "in house" producer for a while. He worked with tons of bands for them -- Slayer, Heretic, Sacred Reich, D.R.I., the Mentors, Flotsam & Jetsam, and many others.

Glenn Rogers 'splained the Deliverance/Bill Metoyer connection around here somewhere a while back. I believe Glenn sez he knew Bill thru his friends in the band Viking (who were signed to Metal Blade), that's how Bill ended up doing work with Deliverance.

(Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Glenn...!)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 8:45 am

Seen this on CMR.Cool Story.I dont get the Kiss riff comparison either.To me Kill em All was NWOBHM taken up a notch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).   Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance). Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cool story from Jimmy P. Brown (Deliverance).
Page 1 of 1