Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Empty
PostSubject: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 pm

I just saw this trailer for a DVD on Thrash metal and Over Kill I think? It looks pretty cool, what do you guys think? Anyone heard of this?

http://www.kundrat.com/trailer.htm
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Yea, I got a copy of this vid to review for Detritus E-Zine. It's quite good. I started a thread about it a week ago but didn't get many responses:

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/Main-Forum-Area-c1/Heart-Of-Metal-f1/Rat-Skates-BORN-IN-THE-BASEMENT-DVD-t1038.htm
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:54 pm

zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 9:13 am

Wow! I need to get this!
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 4:18 pm

Sorry about the repost, ya'll. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:10 pm

"Here's To The Old School, Didn't Matter If We Looked Cool"-TJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 3:44 am

Wow, I'm a little late seeing this DVD. Now THIS is what I'm talkin' about! Rat Skates does a brilliant job of showing just how it used to be done! Remember when every band did it that way? Those were the days. Technology has ruined creativity today, IMO. Rat is a great spokesman, very intelligent and very detail-oriented. He and his wife did so much for that band. Rat saved just about everything that he drew/designed for the band. There's a lot of great old photos and newspaper ads, etc. I was a huge OVERKILL fan in the 80's and especially loved those first 2 records with Rat. An acquaintence of mine is friends with Blitz. He's responsible for me seeing the DVD. He worked with CMC & SANCTUARY back when they had an operation going in Raleigh. OVERKILL were signed to them for a few years and that's how he got to know Blitz. They played here on just about every tour that I can remember.

Maybe some of you guys can help me out here. I've done a few searches in trying to find something that I recorded years ago, but have since thrown out. In the Summer of '87 I was in southern Florida visiting my mom. I was watching Headbanger's Ball one Saturday night when the DJ was Kevin Seal. When it came on, Kevin gave the usual introduction and said that the in-studio guests that night would be OVERKILL. As he was giving his commentary, the guys in the band bum-rushed him and ripped open his button-down shirt to reveal an OVERKILL jersey underneath. It was Blitz, Gustafson, Verni and Skates at the time. It was awesome!! Taking Over had just been released, and they were playing the video of "In Union We Stand" a lot back then. I couldn't find it on YouTube, but I'm sure someone, somewhere in the world still has that Kevin Seal opening confrontation taped off MTV from '87, as well as OVERKILL's interview with Seal that night. I refuse to believe that no one else back then happened to capture that on VHS. I threw mine out about 10 years later (around '97). Unfortunately, I used to tape in the 6-hr mode and the quality wasn't that great. If someone can provide a link, that'd be great. I thought of emailing Rat to see if he had it. If he does, I wish he would have included it on the DVD (unless MTV refused to allow him to). Anyone else remember seeing that?

One other thing that I was kind of disappointed in was that Rat's documentary didn't include modern day interviews with Blitz and Gustafson. It almost seemed to suggest that Rat was a little disappointed (as anyone would be) that the band didn't give back to him some after he left. He ran that band and got them to the point they were before he left. Unfortunately for Rat, I'm sure OVERKILL's biggest financial days must have been during the Under The Influence-The Years Of Decay era (though I'm only guessing). It seems that Rat has done well for himself, though, and the DVD is quite touching in several areas. I'll even admit to having a tear come in my eye towards the end where it shows a handwritten postcard that Rat sent his parents when he was touring overseas in '86. You get to read what he was thinking at the time. Over the years, I often wondered whatever happened to Rat. I hadn't heard his name in many years until I heard the news of "Get Thrashed."

OVERKILL played Raleigh 3 straight years during the 80's. In the spring of '87, touring for Taking Over, they played a club called The Pier (MEGADETH/OVERKILL/THE NECROS). OVERKILL blew MEGADETH (Peace Sells Tour) away that night. MEGADETH's sound and performance suffered alot (too much partying?). The next year, they played The Brewery on Under The Influence (OVERKILL/WRATH). Then they played on The Years Of Decay...

OVERKILL/DARK ANGEL/WOLFSBANE
Monday, December 18, 1989
The Switch
Raleigh, NC

This DVD is an amazing look back at the history of OVERKILL. I can't wait to see the "Get Thrashed" documentary. What did some of you think of it?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 05, 2008 8:49 am

George wrote:
What did some of you think of it?

I loved this DVD (see the other thread about it that I started months ago to see my comments, cuz I'm too lazy to type 'em all over again, haha).

I too would've liked to have seen some commentary from Verni, Blitz, Gustafson, etc., but I got the vibe that there is still a lot of bad blood between Rat and the rest of the guys, so who knows, maybe he didn't even bother to ask them.

Between Rat's DVD and the BATMEN: THE RETURN documentary (which is included on the WRECKING YOUR NECK live DVD) you get a pretty decent overview of the entire Overkill history. Though I like Rat's DVD a lot better, it's more personal.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?   Rat Skates: Born in the Basement? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rat Skates: Born in the Basement?
Page 1 of 1