Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Thrash that doesn't suck?

Go down 
+12
AchrisK
mc666
ghost
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
ultmetal
sovdat
fingers
Smindas
TheGooch
Jedilink
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

Thrash that doesn't suck? Empty
PostSubject: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:19 am

Ok so I gotta say, I really like the music behind Slayer...but I HAAAAATE their retarded lyrics! I hate it when bands curse in their songs and it's even WORSE when they feel that they have to be evil to be cool.

So to my question...is there any thrash that is pummeling like Slayer...but NOT with a retarded message? Are there any thrash bands that offer very uplifting lyrics? It's not like they need to sing about sunflowers and pixie dust but still...I don't like cursing and I don't like Satanic garbage.

Anything cool? And yes I already know about Believer. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:54 am

try viol-lence's eternal nightmare album. ok it aint uplifting but it aint as bad lyric wise as slayer

testament was thrash also without dumb lyrics but musically not on par with slayer in my opinion

voivod possibly but they are an aquired taste and are about as far away from slayer as possible but remaining thrash

Last edited by on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:57 am

I'd say Exodus, who I find musically superior to Slayer... but now that I think about it, if you don't like Slayer's lyrics, you're not really going to enjoy the hateful genius that is Exodus.

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 7:46 am

Deliverance first 2 albums
Vengeance rising
Consecrator
Detritus
Sacrament
Seventh Angel
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 7:57 am

give overkill and toxik a listen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 7:59 am

In addition to Saxon15oo's list of christian thrash I would defintely encourage you to check out:
Living Sacrifice--living sacrifice
the Crucified--pillars of humanity

Also, I'm not too sure about uplifting lyrics, and there may be some cussing but, Suicidal Tendencies, Death Angel, and Heathen all had great thrash albums. Forbidden--'twisted into form' as well.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 8:12 am

Provocation of conservatism, anti-war, anti-nazi, anti-abortion, anti-mass religion lyrics, and many more, yup, they're certainly a band with retarded lyrics Smile

Read between the lines!

Can you hear the serpents call,

Look deep in those deceiving eyes.

Ignore the writing on the wall,

You should read between the lies.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 8:14 am

allthingsmetal wrote:
In addition to Saxon15oo's list of christian thrash I would defintely encourage you to check out:
Living Sacrifice--living sacrifice
the Crucified--pillars of humanity

Also, I'm not too sure about uplifting lyrics, and there may be some cussing but, Suicidal Tendencies, Death Angel, and Heathen all had great thrash albums. Forbidden--'twisted into form' as well.

I was also going to suggest the first Living Sacrifice.

As well, you may dig Believer. Their music was pummeling, heavy and technical. The lyrics are mostly about social issues, but from a Christian perspective.

Another band I might suggest is At War. Their lyrics weren't necessarily uplifting, but I don't think most would find them to be 'evil' either. They mostly wrote songs about politics, history and war.

Some other suggestions would be:
Hirax - New Age of Terror
Devastation - Idolatry
Viking - Man of Straw
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28441

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 9:22 am

Definitely check out Devastation. Coroner are a good choice.

Other albums to check out:
Overthrow - Within Suffering
Anonymus - Ni Vu, Ni Connu
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:15 am

Both Atrophy albums (Socialized Hate and Violent By Nature) have very smart lyrics ... and they rip musically too!!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:20 am

The Anonymus album that I mentioned is in French, by the way, so unless you speak fluent French, you don't really need to care about the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:33 am

Sadus are a good choice also
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 10:34 am

thrasher73 wrote:
Sadus are a good choice also

Yes. Check out Swallowed in Black! 🤘
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 11:00 am

What about Sodom? They have a lot of anti-war songs.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 1:24 pm

if you like the harder type of thrash like Slayer (whose lyrics are not "retarded" imho) then go with the German thrash bands. Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Holy Moses, Tankard, etc.

also, check out Blood Tsunami, The Crown, & Demiricous.

AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 1:36 pm

Incubus and Opprobrium (same band) are intense thrash with positive lyrics.

ack
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 1:38 pm

AchrisK wrote:
Incubus and Opprobrium (same band) are intense thrash with positive lyrics.

ack

🤘
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 2:27 pm

I play in a thrash band called Temple of Blood. Check out some mp3s at http://www.templeofblood.net

I also recommend Deliverance - Weapons of our Warfare and Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 3:38 pm

Interesting this thread shows up. I mentioned Megadeth at work today, and a co-worker says her 12 year old son likes them, although she doesn't want him to because of the language. A lot of the metal and rap has cursing, and she doesn't want him listening to that stuff. I told her I could burn him a CD with some stuff like that without cursing, as I know plenty of metal bands that don't. I don't like rap music, but as far as it goes, every gangsta rap group out there has swearing that I know of, although I wouldn't doubt there are some (likely underground) that don't.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:01 pm

All lyrics are retarded any way I look at it. But for some great thrash:

Sacrifice
Whiplash
Avenger of Blood
Kreator
Tankard
Sodom (later era)
Vio-Lence
Viking
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 6:56 pm

Powermad also Temple Of Blood I've been playing your record at Metal radio-TJ
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 11:45 am

Todd Jaymz wrote:
Powermad also Temple Of Blood I've been playing your record at Metal radio-TJ

Thanks! 🤘
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 7:37 pm

ToB!
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 5:23 am

Haha, I've heard a lot of stuff I already have actually. Razz I have Pillars of Humanity by The Crucified. I have Deliverance and run a myspace page for them...great new album by the way. 🤘

I have Vengeance Rising, Tourniquet, Living Sacrifice's first album (which is really the only one I like very much...ok at all Razz). Umm. Hmm...

I understand some people like Slayer and some would probably literally kill me (like seriously) for dissing anything about them but I don't like the whole "Slaytanic" image they've got going on. Anti-war songs, anti-hatred and all that is fine. I don't care so much about the subject matter...but I just don't like hearing the f-word all the time...unless Samuel L. Jackson is saying it. Laughing very hard

I also REALLY don't like the whole "hating God is the right thing to do" message in Slayer's songs. I gotta say that Angel of Death is a great Slayer song...but later in the same album they're bashing Christianity. While I understand that Christianity has a LOT of problems with many of the people who practice it...I'm not like the people that most non-Christians think of when they think of a Chrisitian person.

I dn't want to sound concieted but...I've noticed that a LOOOOOT of people remember me. Most people will meet someone and later on that person will fade away but I tend to stick out a lot more than most people. I don't dress out of place or anything I'm just such a different personality you know? I like it! happy It helps me in being someone to remember. Very Happy

So...back to my point. Razz Haha. Slayer looks at Christians from a point of view that sees all of them as hipocrites. I'm not a hipocrite! I see a LOT of Christians acting out this whole, "Holier than Thou" ( 🤘 YOU ARE!) type of thing. I hate it but there's nothing I can do about it. Those are the type of people who won't listen to someone else's views on things. They might not think they do it but they look down on people who aren't Christians.

While Slayer might have THOSE people pegged out...I'm not one of those. So I'm being grouped into something I don't do. Plus...I don't like hearing the f-word all the time in my music.

Exodus had some really great musical stuff...but they were bashing God too. Especially in "Shroud of Urine". I can't stand "God hating" THAT MUCH when I'm listening to Heavy metal. Talk about loads of stuff, I don't care. As long as the lyrics are intelligent and though provoking. Megadeth is one of my favorite bands. Look at what they talk about. But then I also love Mortification too. And They sing mostly about God. Which is fine since I'm Christian and all. But still, they have GREAT music. AND decent lyrics. While some bands sing of one thing, other's sing of everything. A lot of them focus on God bashing though and I don't like hearing that in my music. Of course if someone hates God and I'm talking to them, I'll listen to them...hopefully they'll listen to me as well and we'll have an intellectual conversation about it. They talk, I talk. We aren't rude to each other, we just discuss. A lot of people can't do that.

And finally, even though I'm rambling (and I deeply apologize Razz Haha) I just don't like cnstant cursing and God bashing in my music. Of course I don't want to hear about rapings or something like that either. But still, that's obvious. I just don't want to listen to bands that feel that the only way they can be cool is to seem evil all the time. It was shocking in the 80's and it's just cliche now. I mean...look at Marilyn Manson dude. Seriously.

Keep it metal!
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 5:27 am

Oh, and by the way, I haven't heard a LOT of Slayer. I have looked at a lot of their lyrics. But I know that I really like the song "Angel of Death". From what I've heard of Reign in Blood, I've liked that album...just not the lyrics so much. I was wondering about stuff from that type of style...because I know they've done some more death metallish type of stuff too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thrash that doesn't suck?   Thrash that doesn't suck? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrash that doesn't suck?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next