Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)

Go down 
+23
Mglaffas81
Conservationist
rattpoison
Addy
SAHB Healer
XYZ
Shiney
James B.
Lurideath
exact33
Lari
MetalGuy71
Schbopo
Metallic Blaze
krokus
SlaytanicPOWER
Troublezone
Hamer12
thejokeriv
manny
mc666
kmorg
Thrasher73
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Empty
PostSubject: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 am

Sure we've done this before, but not recently. List your top 5 albums in the hard rock/metal genre and tell us why.

These are my top 5 albums of all time (in descending order). You probably won't agree with me, but who cares? Here's mine.......ENJOY!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Within+the+Prophecy

5. Sacrilege - Within The Prophecy

Throw early Trouble, early Slayer, and a generic hardcore punk band into a
blender and you'll have something quite similar to Sacrilege's opus
"Within The Prophecy". The atmosphere on this album is monumental
(IMO). "Tam" Simpson's vocals take a bit to get used to, but Damian
Thompson's monster riffs overshadow everything else on the record and
are the star of the show. This is just a perfect mix of influences for me.
It's not for everyone (in fact, not for most), but I love, love, love this album!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Peace+Sells...+But+Who%27s+Buying

4. Megadeth - Peace Sells....But Who's Buying

When everyone was going gaga over “Master of Puppets”,
I had a stiffy for “Peace Sells…But Who’s Buying”. Sure,
MOP is a great album, undeniably. However, Peace Sells is THE EPITOME
of thrash metal if you ask me. This is when Megadeth were hungry and
had style and power. The lyrics are typical metal lyrics of the
time, but they were more poetic than the band’s later stuff. I don’t know,
this is the only Megadeth album that I think that EVERY metal fan
should own. All the others have huge faults in my eyes. But for one
moment of time, Dave Mustaine and crew had everything right, and
created a genius album. This still sounds as fresh to me as it did back in 1986.
Just listen to “The Conjuring” and tell me that isn’t the textbook definition of metal.
This album is GLORIOUS!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Trouble
3. Trouble - S/T

When I first heard “Assassin” on a compilation tape in the late 80’s, I
became obsessed with finding anything by this band called “Trouble”.
This was before the interwebs and rare cassettes weren’t
something that my local record store in West Virginia kept in stock. So
I waited. 1990 comes around and I see Trouble on Headbanger’s Ball with
“At The End of my Daze” and freaked. YES! This is that band I have been
looking for! The song sounded different than “Assassin”, but I still loved it.
That year for my birthday, I received this cassette. I didn’t stop playing it for a full
year. The album is a perfect blend of 60’s psychedelics and doom metal.
Songs like “R.I.P.”, “All Is Forgiven”, and “A Sinner’s Fame” still
give me goose bumps to this day. This was the soundtrack of my high
school years, and because of its awesomeness, it is my third favorite
album of all time.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) In+Rock
2. Deep Purple - In Rock

This album (IMO) heralded the beginning of heavy metal. Ritchie Blackmore
and Jon Lord decided to try to be a heavier band after their failure in
orchestral rock. They created what is simply one heavy freaking album.
In 1970, who else was making songs like "Speed King" or "Bloodsucker"?
Wow! I didn't hear this album until the late 80's and I was shocked at
the sheer emotion oozing from the speakers then....I can imagine what
the average rock fan thought in 1970. The production is horrible for
the most part on this, but somehow it accentuates the emotion of the
record. Get this, you'll love it!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Welcome+to+My+Nightmare

1. Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
In my opinion, this is the quintessential Alice album. His entire image
was solidified with this album and tour. Sure there are those that
think the only TRUE Alice Cooper is the "Alice Cooper band", but those
people are just trying to be rock "purists". It wasn't until this album
that Alice and Bob Ezrin mixed hard rock with other forms of music to
make what I think is the best rock album of all time. Just listen to
the second side of this album and tell me you don't agree....at least a
little.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:34 am

We have one in common Spec.Megadeths Peace Sells is still my favorite album of theirs to this day.

Stryper-Soldiers Under Command-I never get tired of listening to this.The dual harmonizing leads and melodic metal makes this a classic in my book

Forbidden-Twisted Into Form-One of the Greatest Melodic thrash albums of all time.This is one of the few albums that I listen to every song without hitting the skip button.Every song is gold.

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind-A NWOBHM classic.Still Life is my favorite Maiden song.

Fates Warning-Awaken the Guardian-A Great slab of progressive metal that is a timeless classic
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 11:05 am

I always enjoy the diversity of your taste, Spec. I can never do a list like this, becasue that means leaving out TONS of great stuff. But sentimental reasoning might produce a list like this, in no particular order:

Kiss - Destroyer: Without KISS, no kmorg! This band ignited my love for hard rock and heavy metal. So they will always have a place in my heart. Larger then life, and every mothers nightmare. It doesn't take anything away from them that they delivered some killer music to boot either!

Metallica - Master Of Puppets: Maybe the most perfect metal album ever recorded. Metallica also created a hunger for faster, harder. Many came close, but noone did it better than what the boys did on "Master..."

Stryper - Soldiers Under Command: Not only did they deliver one of the finest melodic metal albums ever, but they had the message that was so close to my heart also. In many ways this album changed my life, and made my "evil" music acceptable.

Savatage - Gutter Ballet: Started a lifelong fascination with my all time favorite band, and it stil ranks so high in best metal performance ever. To this day I still find new stuff on the album to appreciate, thanks to the unique combo of the Oliva-brothers. No one played/plays like Criss! NO ONE! And Jon has the perfect metal voice.

Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice: Another life altering moment for me. Not only could Christians deliver quality metal, they could create extreme music on par, if not better than their secular counterparts. The album has a unique sound, thanks to Roger's voice, and the blues approach of the band in general.

This is leaving monumental albums like Queensrÿche - 'Operation: Mindcrime', Believer - 'Extraction From Mortality', Lethal - 'Programmed', Ozzy Osbourne - 'Blizzard Of Ozz', Crimson Gory - 'Transcendence' etc., etc.

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Off the top of my head:

1. KING'S X - Dogman - Quite possibly the best KING'S X album ever...although barely edging out Gretchen Goes To Nebraska. This album has it all...soulful vocals, excellent harmonies, groove for days and a HEAVY tone/mix. All hail!

2. QUEENSRYHE - Rage For Order - Arguably QUEENSRYCHE's weirdest album. It's dark, moody, atypical of the times and to this day sound like a new band...timeless and genre-defying, IMO.

3. TROUBLE - The Skull - The first TROUBLE album I ever owned and still my favorite. "The Wish" is an amazing song! This album never gets old no matter how many times you listen to it.

4. DEF LEPPARD - Pyromania - It was 1983 and I was 12 years old and this album ruled! Not a bad song to be found and I know every one of them like the back of my hand. DEF LEPPARD's finest hour, IMO.

5. IRON MAIDEN - Somewhere In Time - Probably IRON MAIDEN's most "commercial" album in terms of melodies and hooks. "Wasted Years" is one of the best Heavy Metal songs ever, let alone one of the band's best. The Murray-Smith harmonies rule this album and, despite people hating the guitar synths at the time, I love the mix/sound of this album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:44 pm

1.) Judas Priest - Sin After Sin: greatest album ever made. every song on it is pure magic. it's like the soundtrack to my life in that so many memories are tied to it. i found the record in my dads collection as a kid, & hearing it reminds me of him, my first car, my wedding... just alot of good memories.

2.) Napalm Death - Scum: the ultimate wall of noise. i used to spend hours skateboarding to this album. the speed, aggression, attitude, & sonic chaos that came from those speakers drowned out everything around me. it's still a great album to work out to.

3.) Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath: this album creeped me out the first time i heard it. it was actually evil sounding. real evil, not the posing that other bands were doing. it's like a good horror movie that still leaves you with an eerie chill after it's over.

4.) Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick: this album is just both beautiful & ugly at the same time. it made death metal an art form.

5.) Misfits - Earth A.D.: campy good fun wrapped in aggressive punk fury. the Misfits were a unique original (in their time), & legends where i grew up. this album was them at their most furious. the fact that it was their last made the impact even greater.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:14 pm

This is almost asking the impossible:

1) The Doors-s/t- This was not just music but something that had a profound effect on my life. Thanks to the Doors it opened many musical doors ( bad pun I know ) for me, introducing me to jazz, blues, poetry and Jack Kerouac. Also IMO the 2nd greatest debut album in rock history.

2) AC/DC-Highway To Hell- The very first rock band I had ever heard, and it features my first rock hero, Bon Scott. This to me represented everything that is good about rock music, fun, loud, killer riffs and 100% attitude.

3) Deep Purple-In Rock- You can hear the birth pangs of heavy metal, features one of my favorite guitartist Ritchie Blackmore and vocalist Ian Gillan. This album served as Deep Purple's mission statement.

4) Alice Cooper-Alice Cooper Goes to Hell- I have to agree with Spec, that 'Welcome' is a better album, but this was the second Alice album I owned, so many memories associated with it. IMO it features great songwriting from Alice and songwriting partner Dick Wagner and it is an underrated Cooper classic.

5) Jimi Hendrix Experience- Electric Ladyland-In three short years Hendrix changed rock music then he was gone, he recorded the greatest debut album in rock history (IMO) and released this masterpiece in 1968, his greatest work. Not much I can say about this album that has not been said , but this is audio evidence that God exists as I stated before on another thread.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 pm

In no particular order, because that is too hard for me to do.

Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
The perfect metal album!!!! My first Iron Maiden album and their best (I had heard the "singles" before, but didn't own any of their albums). All killer, no filler!!!!!

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
What more can I saw about this one? I bought it the day it came out and upon first listen blew me away. I still remember thinking "wow, Metallica got even better than they were!!!"

Def Leppard - Hysteria
I just love this album! When it first came out, I though it was an "ok" follow up to Pryomania. The more I listened to it, the more I loved it!!! I still love it to this day. Yes, it;s not NWOBHM, but I don't care!!! The songs are great and this is an awesome listen!!!!

KISS - Destroyer
Here because this is the first rock record I ever owned all by myself. Still, an awesome release!!!!! A couple other KISS records may be better, but this one holds nostaligia factor for me.

Queensryche - Operation:Mindcrime
Another favorite! One I can listen to over and over. This one has to be listened to as a whole experience. I just love it.

I left out so many other albums and bands I could have added. If I did this list tomorrow, my list might change.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:24 pm

5. King's X - Gretchen GTNB - I never get tired of this one. KX have never put out a dud IMO, This one is the best in a great lot though.

4. Faith No More - Introduce Yourself - Still one of the most original albums ever made, & heavy to boot. I like there whole catalog but this one was something special.

3. Down 2 - A Bustle In Your Hedgerow - This is not most people's favorite Down album, but to me there is not a turd on it, I have probably listened to it more than any album I own. The other two are masterpieces as well.

2. Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun - Once again Kyuss never put out a bad album but BFTRS in my favorite. Stoner Metal/ Desert Roock at it's finest

1. Clutch - S/T - The opus of all opuses, Anybody that thinks clutch is not heavy is missing the boat, absolutely not a bad song on this album. Props also go out to Speedway League , Binge & Purge is my favorite song of all time. If it does'nt get your blood pumping you must be dead already!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:40 pm

1. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

Love the songs... The guitar tone is crushing for 1971.

2. Trouble - 1990 s/t

Masterful mix of doom and bluesy rock. Trouble rules!

3. Whitesnake - 1987 s/t

John Sykes at his best with a song for any mood.

4. Overkill - The Years of Decay

I love the variety this album has. There is the heavy thrashers (Elimination) to the plodding doom of (Skullcrusher). It also has the excellent ballad like songs (Who Tends the Fire and The Years of Decay). Terry Date did a fantastic production.

5. Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

From start to finish i enjoy this album. Dimebag mixed southern rock and thrash together making him a unique player in a sea of sameness. Phil had a great voice on the album going from southern crooning to metal wails.

I need to give an honorable mention to Ozzy's "Diary of a Madman" and Van Halen's "Fair Warning"

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm

1. Megadeth-RIP I still get chills to this day listening to this. The perfect blend of speed, aggression and melody.

2. Tourniquet-POD Tourniquet did some amazingly complex music that still seems accessible. To me at least.

3. Iron Maiden-SIT & Piece Of Mind Like how I cheated here. How many bands were inspired by this stuff?

4. Metal Church-Hanging In The Balance End Of The Age might be the perfect power metal song.

5. Savatage-Hall Of The Mountain King The one that started it for me with Sava, great riffs.

Ahhhhh, I left out Saxon, 'Ryche, Priest and oh so many others.
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Judas+Priest-+Painkiller+%28Front%29

The badassness of this album justifies me picking it.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Vulgar-Display-Of-Power2

(Same as #5)

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Brainstorm-1

Pure awesome sauce.

#2.
Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Album-Kiss-Rock-and-Roll-Over

Classic awesome KISS.

#1.
Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Slayer-seasons

I can listen to this album, start to end, without skipping over a track.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 3:05 pm

This is very very hard.
THOR:ONLY THE STRONG I love every song on this album, it realy take you back to the mid 80s. Underrated.
KISS:CREATURES OF THE NIGHT. So HEAVY METAL and so cool.
OZZY OSBOURNE:BARK AT THE MOON. Killer songs, killer voice etc...a classic.
TWISTED SISTER:STAY HUNGRY This album gives me good memories and its just a fun album to play.
SAXON:DENIM&LEATHER A nwobhm classic. One of my first SAXON albums ever and still my fave.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Well, I'm a power metal guy, so my list will reflect that. I am leaving off soo much stuff I love though, but that is obvious ...

1. Pagan's Mind ~ Celestial Entrance

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 1542_large

Dio ~ Holy Diver

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Holydiver

Manowar ~ Kings of Metal

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Kings_of_metal

Riot ~ Thundersteel

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Riot+-+thundersteel+(1988)

Virgin Steele ~ Age of Consent

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) VS

Stratovarius ~ Elements Pt. 2

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Stratovarius-2

Therion ~ Sirius B

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Cover_181115962009

Chastain ~ The 7th of Never

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 7th270

Candlemass ~ Ancient Dreams

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 1988

Avantasia ~ The Scarecrow

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) AVANTASIA%20-%20The%20Scarecrow

Okay ... I could not just think of 5!!! I had to post all 10 of these albums.

These albums are my all time favorites, and I would give them each an 11/10 rating. They are sheer masterpieces.

Last edited by Metallic Blaze on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:30 pm

1. Pagan's Mind ~ Celestial Entrance

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 1542_large

Dio ~ Holy Diver

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Holydiver

Manowar ~ Kings of Metal

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Kings_of_metal

Riot ~ Thundersteel

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Riot+-+thundersteel+(1988)

Virgin Steele ~ Age of Consent

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) VS

Fixed! There's 5... Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:34 pm

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Lol

I know I know ... but it is SOOO fackin' hard for me to do that. 10 is hard enough!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Skull
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:40 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Lol

I know I know ... but it is SOOO fackin' hard for me to do that. 10 is hard enough!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Skull

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Lol I know... but that's what makes it challenging.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:40 pm

True
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Destroyer
#5-KISS-Destroyer

This album proved to me that KISS were more than makeup wearing old dudes who sang "Rock and Roll all Nite". Destroyer is, in my mind, the most defining rock n' roll record ever made.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Que-aNatO
#4-Queen-A Night At The Opera

This album proved that Queen could play lots of different styles of music...and kick ass at all of them! Metal, Blues, Prog, Opera...you name it, it's on this album.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Primus---Tales-From-The-Punch-Bowl
#3-Primus-Tales From the Punchbowl

Primus venture into heavy, psychedelic, and very bizarre progressive rock territory here. It's like the heaviest acid trip ever.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Saxon_Wheels_of_Steel
#2-Saxon-Wheels of Steel

For justification, I direct you to the title track of this album. Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Headbang

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 322
#1-Megadeth-Countdown to Extinction

Some people accused the Deth boys of losing their 'thrash' sound on this album. If that's true, then I say good riddance! "Countdown" might not be exactly thrash, but it's still damn heavy! It takes the classic Megadeth sound and puts it in a new formula that was more accessible, and the result is one of my favorite albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm

1. GnR - Appetite For Destruction
This album introduced me to "heavy" music. Until then, I was listening to Huey Lewis & the News & Weird Al. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

2. Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
I heard Permanent Vacation as a new release and a guy in high school said "Yea, this albums ok, but check out their older stuff. It's wayyyyy better." So I did. And he was right. This album (and their s/t debut) started my love affair with Aerosmith.

3. Ozzy - The Blizzard of Oz
One of the first real "heavy metal" albums I bought in the "new" cd format back in the early 90's and one that my parents hated, which meant it must be good, right?

4. Motorhead - No Remorse
My introduction to the Greatest Rock n' Roll Band on Earth. Sorry Mick.

5. Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What?
My favorite, bar none from Megadeth. Played this tape about a billion times till I got it on cd. Then played it a billion more.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm

At first I was thinking of naming a combination of the usual candidates, ie. the albums I always name when people ask me for my favourites. But then I started thinking it over. I always name "Wake of Magellan" and "Holy Diver", or "Imaginations from the Other Side" as my favourites, but I didn't really give any one of them a listen the past few months (year?). So instead I'll go in a completely different direction and name my top 5 albums I'm into right now:

1. Axxis - Back to the Kingdom
I'm getting more and more into Axxis. Just an amazing group they are - and this was my introduction to them. Still my favourite, and totally among my favourite albums ever. Difficult to place it #1 with all the other favourites, but I think it's the over-the-top super-infectious songs like Flashback Radio, Heaven in Black, Sea of Love and White Lights that makes this my favourite album. Add to that the fast, power metal tracks and you have a great metal record. Maybe they shouldn't have included a cover of Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye, but my digipak has a bonus track which rocks, so I can always pretend it replaces the cover song.

2. Testament - The New Order
I've been on a huge Testament high lately, and this has just got to be the best thrash metal record of all time. Testament has recorded a good amount of technical thrash, but this is my favourite. The usual (unbelievable) guitar work, something you'd expect from the band, and just an insane collection of songs. The production is not too clear, but what it means is it leaves the band more space to kick your teeth in with their songs and tight playing. And Chuck sings like he means everything he says. 'Disciples of the Watch', 'the Preacher', 'Trial by Fire', just naming some of these tracks make my head bang.

3. Impellitteri - Screaming Symphony
If you're into shredding, this is the most intense 40 minutes you'll ever experience. A monster album. I don't have all Impellitteri albums yet (I'm missing Answer to the Master and Grin & Bear It), but I'm dying to complete my collection. Usually I can name at least a few favourites off a record, but this one only has highlights, so I'd be better off listing all the tracks. I love that guitar, I love the vocals - Rob Rock has amazing lungs, for sure. The infectious melodies are all over the place. 'Rat Race', 'I'll Be With You', 'You Are the Fire', 'Walk Away' all kick my ass. The lyrics work real well, too. A total package. If the album was longer, it'd easily be #1.

4. Saxon - Unleash the Beast
The Saxon discography thread made me listen to this again, and again it made me think how, if at all possible, would it be to record a better classic, straight-up heavy metal album. Well, I don't think you can. Everything is perfect here and Saxon just get it all right this time - the title track is pure energy. And it just keeps on getting better from there on. A real important album for me. It somewhat defines what I like about music.

5. Skyclad - A Semblance of Normality
I'm sure this is a surprise inclusion to many who listen to Skyclad. But I find this album to be a masterpiece. No Martin Walkyier, but a new, different (better?) Skyclad. I've been listening to Walkyier era Skyclad a lot lately, but anytime I return to 'Normality', it just keeps getting better. 'Parliament of Fools' is a perfect pop-metal song, 'Ten Little Kingdoms' with its thrashy riff is awesome in a completely different way. Even the most 'weird' song 'Hybrid Blues' absolutely rules! A masterpiece, as is the whole album. I'm seriously getting to be a huge Skyclad fan - I don't own all the records (I have eight), but I've seen them live twice, and I really like the new era that started with this album. Really good stuff. The orchestra adds to it (certainly not overdone), and even the lyrics are great, no matter what the Walkyier fanboys say.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:01 pm

Quote :
It's like the heaviest acid trip ever.

So you've taken acid? Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 9:37 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Well, I'm a power metal guy, so my list will reflect that. I am leaving off soo much stuff I love though, but that is obvious ...

I'm curious, why this? I always thought Visions was clearly 'the' masterpiece album of Stratovarius. That single album they managed to get everything right. I'm not a huge Stratovarius fan, but I still cannot deny the awesomeness of Visions. Ever since, they've just been trying to duplicate it.

While Visions will always have a place among my top ten power metal albums, Elements... I don't know. Especially part 1, it seemed a bit tired. I think they did the almost-progressive metal better on Infinite. The second one, I cannot even remember tracks off it. I thought they were on a slump...
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 pm

This was really hard but here it is:

1. Dio Holy Diver

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 11210867

The debut from Dio is full-steam ahead metal. All the songs on here are great and there is not one ounce of filler.

2. Grave Digger Tunes of War

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 1468

Perhaps Grave Digger's finest hour. These songs have it all - speed, melody, and of course - bagpipes!

3. Bloodbound Nosferatu

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Bloodbound-Nosferatu

This is one melodic metal masterpiece! The songs are fast, the vocals are awesome and I always find myself humming the songs long after listening to them!

4. Sonata Arctica Ecliptica

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 2536

The debut from Sonata Arctica is a piece of power metal history. The vocals are fantastic and the music is outstanding! If one were to ever give a definition of power metal - Ecliptica would be it!

5. Pride of Lions The Roaring of Dreams 2007 Frontiers Records

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 730972

This is a great AOR/melodic rock cd from Jim Peterik/Toby Hitchcock. The vocals are soaring, there are anthemic choruses, the songs are well written and the rockers are infectious.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 12:40 am

Lari wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

I'm curious, why this? I always thought Visions was clearly 'the' masterpiece album of Stratovarius. That single album they managed to get everything right. I'm not a huge Stratovarius fan, but I still cannot deny the awesomeness of Visions. Ever since, they've just been trying to duplicate it.

While Visions will always have a place among my top ten power metal albums, Elements... I don't know. Especially part 1, it seemed a bit tired. I think they did the almost-progressive metal better on Infinite. The second one, I cannot even remember tracks off it. I thought they were on a slump...

Yeah, I've always thought of this album as quite underrated. A lot of people tended to slam on this one and it's predecessor for some reason. I think it might have to do with nostalgia. Many fans were on board with this band when "Visions" came out, and granted - it's a great album. But many times nostalgia clouds the judgement when dealing with a bands newer works. I came on board with Stratovarius with this album, so perhaps nostalgia is clouding my judgement as well. It's all opinion anyway.

however, I know I'm not alone in my love for this album. I've met many a fan who says they love this one. I've also met many who have expressed views similar to your own.

"Visions" is a great album though ... it's one of my top faves from them for sure.

But there is something special and magical about this album to me. Perhaps it's just that I see something in it that others overlook. I don't know. But it's just like power metal magic to my ears.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:10 am

#5:

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 51LUvYb86BL._SL500_AA240_

Life of Agony - River Runs Red - This album basically saved my life. I had a very hard upbringing and this deals album has songs about some of what I went through.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 2457

Grim Reaper - Rock You To Hell
This album is among one of the many masterpieces of metal! Not one bad song on it.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Slayer%20-%20reign%20in%20blood

Slayer - Reign In Blood - This opened up a whole new set of doors for me. This was as fast and aggressive as it could get to me when it came out. Plus this sounded pretty evil when listening. Still gets regular spins and never gets old.

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) 0006553,stained-class

Judas Priest - Stained Class - This just happens to be my favorite Judas Priest album. I think Les Binks was their best drummer in my opinion, and this shows a lot of what Priest could do at the time. Every song on this is awesome!

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Black_sabbath_sabotage_51r8d9r6xxl

Black Sabbath - Sabotage - Been a Sabbath freak for years and to me this was their heaviest. I like every song, the drums are awesome, the guitar tone, everything about this rules. Not too keen on the cover but the songs are great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)   Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Top 5 Hard Rock/Metal albums (And Why)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next