Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Voivod

Go down 
+27
Boris2008
EmoElmo
adrian
Infinite
Tur-Thalion
Gilbert
jstate
Nico
SpectreFate
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
BuzzPhil
Coma
Leatherface
mc666
Svengo
MetalGuy71
MetalFRO
FlyingV
sam
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
manny
Stender
metalken
Metallic Blaze
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:57 am

"Raw and noisy" definitely sums up their first couple of records. WAR & PAIN especially sounds like Venom and Motorhead's tour buses crashing into each other.

By the time they got to KILLING TECHNOLOGY they were still thrashy but more "refined" sounding.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 1:50 pm

Check out nothingface also Shawn.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Snagged Katorz at lunch...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:03 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Snagged Katorz at lunch...

That was quick. Very Happy

I miss being able to "snag" CDs on my lunch break... since that FYE up the road from my office went belly up I'm in a vast wasteland when it comes to entertainment possibilities....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm with Manny. My favorite albums start with Dimension Hatross and continue through The Outer Limits, I liked each album in this period more than the one before, which doesn't happen often in my experience.

I also like the later material, anything that Piggy plays guitar on is going to hold some interest to me, his use of chord voicing is very unique for metal, he has more in common with Robert Fripp than your standard issue 80's metal guitarist.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah, I'll be spinning Katorz when the Dinosaur Jr is over...

The used place I usually hit is about 20 minutes away...the days I want to go I tack on an extra 20 minutes or so to my hour lunch then make it up later in the week.

There's one closer but I go less often because its a smaller selection and they charge tax...haha! It's owned by a couple of old guys who still chage like $5.98 or $6.98 plus tax wheras the other place I go charges flat dollar amounts with no tax AND has about 20x the amount of stuff.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 4:26 pm

OK, so I have spun Katorz 3 times now and I like it. It has an odd, punk-like vibe but a sort of avant-garde vibe at the same time...can't wait now to dig into the Angel Rat/Nothingface/Outer Limits albums....

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

"Nothingface" is the only one that I have heard that I really love although they have some other songs that I like.
Back to top Go down

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Katorz is actually the weakest of the "posthumous Piggy albums", so if you dig that one, you should also check out the self-titled and Infini.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 pm

Shawn D. wrote:
Katorz is actually the weakest of the "posthumous Piggy albums", so if you dig that one, you should also check out the self-titled and Infini.

Will do...thanks!
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 5:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Raw and noisy" definitely sums up their first couple of records. WAR & PAIN especially sounds like Venom and Motorhead's tour buses crashing into each other.

Hahaha interesting analogy there, Freddy! Laughing Although to be fair, the second album is much noiser and sloppier.

Fat Freddy wrote:
By the time they got to KILLING TECHNOLOGY they were still thrashy but more "refined" sounding.

Yeah, Killing Technology is a really unique album. The title track is pretty much my favorite Voivod song.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 5:18 pm

Though it gets a lot of hate I've actually come to the conclusion Angel Rat is my favorite. It's at least the one I play the most.
Back to top Go down

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 5:31 pm

jstate wrote:
Though it gets a lot of hate I've actually come to the conclusion Angel Rat is my favorite. It's at least the one I play the most.

I fell in love with that album immediately and it still holds up to scrutiny now.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 1:57 am

Shawn D. wrote:
jstate wrote:

I fell in love with that album immediately and it still holds up to scrutiny now.

Very good album indeed.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 am

New album title set as Target Earth, and a new logo has been designed for this album as well.

Voivod - Page 3 Voivodlogo

Live performance of the song "Target Earth" is here:

Quote :
VOIVOD: New Album Title, Band Logo Unveiled - July 4, 2012
Canadian metal innovators VOIVOD have set "Target Earth" as the title of their new album, to be released before the end of the year.

VOIVOD drummer Michel "Away" Langevin has unveiled the band's new logo which will be used on the upcoming CD. Check it out below.

"Target Earth" was recorded in January at Pierre RĂ©millard's (OBLIVEON, CRYPTOPSY, KRISIUN, MISERY INDEX) Wild Studio in a small town called St-ZĂ©non in Quebec, Canada. The follow-up to 2009's "Infini" contain the band's first music to be written with new guitarist Daniel "Chewy" Mongrain (MARTYR) following the passing of original axeman Denis "Piggy" D'Amour in 2005.

Several photos from the recording sessions can be found on the band's Facebook page.

According to a posting on the page, fans can "expect something in the vein of 'Nothingface' with some elements from the other albums. It will be a classic VOIVOD album."

Regarding what the new VOIVOD songs sound like, Mongrain said in a recent interview, "As a VOIVOD fan since I am 12 years old and early rise of VOIVOD in late '80s and everything, I think… I'm in conflict of interest right now. [Laughs] I like the old stuff as much as the new stuff, so I think it's a blend of everything. It's really a team work and Blacky [Jean-Yves Thériault] is back on the 'blower bass' — he's got the original sound — and we're having a blast jamming, improvising and writing. I think it's working pretty good."

On the topic of the lyrical themes covered in the new VOIVOD tracks, singer Denis "Snake" Bélanger said, "The song we played [on the recent European tour] ['Kaleidos'] is about conspiracy involving drugs and the FBI… [Laughs] It's hard to describe because we're kind of early in the process. There's another song called 'Target Earth', which is more like a spacy, conspiracy, controlling the information around the world. The main thing is the 'war' of information. You know, somebody Osama Bin Laden is dead, someone [else] says he's not… It gets to a point where everybody has his own story and nobody is sure what the truth is. There's people above everything controlling the information."

In an interview with Exclaim.ca, Away stated about VOIVOD's forthcoming studio album, "It's more in the progressive metal vein, so it's reminiscent of the 'Dimension Hatröss' era."

VOIVOD debuted the "Target Earth" title track during their April 12 concert at the Roadburn festival at the 013 venue in Tilburg, Holland. You can watch fan-filmed video footage of their performance below.

VOIVOD 2012 is:

Denis "Snake" BĂ©langer - Vocals
Daniel "Chewy" Mongrain - Guitar
Jean-Yves "Blacky" Thériault - Bass
Michel "Away" Langevin - Drums

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176318
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 12:05 pm

The new guy seems to be catching the Piggy vibe pretty well on that new tune. Can't wait to hear the album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
New album title set as Target Earth,

SCREAMER already released an amazing album under that title over 20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 7:30 pm

I only own War and Pain and actually, now that I think about it, I haven't listened to it since I bought it a year ago! Really need to listen again!
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Infinite wrote:
The new guy seems to be catching the Piggy vibe pretty well on that new tune. Can't wait to hear the album.

I only have Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss, but from what I know of those albums I agree, there are some moments in Target Earth that definitely seem to catch Piggy's riffing style quite nicely.

On another topic, I am hoping to fill out my Voivod collection in the coming months and am a bit disheartened at the prices I'm seeing for some of them on Amazon. Some are super expensive even used (Rrroooaaarrr is about 40-50 dollars and Nothingface is 29 dollars). That is going to put a damper on my collection expansion for a while.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Infinite wrote:

I only have Killing Technology and Dimension Hatröss, but from what I know of those albums I agree, there are some moments in Target Earth that definitely seem to catch Piggy's riffing style quite nicely.

On another topic, I am hoping to fill out my Voivod collection in the coming months and am a bit disheartened at the prices I'm seeing for some of them on Amazon. Some are super expensive even used (Rrroooaaarrr is about 40-50 dollars and Nothingface is 29 dollars). That is going to put a damper on my collection expansion for a while.
Man, I just scored Rrroooaaarrr for 6 bucks at the local cd store! I also saw two copies of Nothingface for similar prices, seeing as it's rare I'll have to go back and get those as well!
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Nice man, I have never run into Voivod at a used cd store
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 pm

This is one of those bands (and Mekong Delta) that didn't click on me.
Back to top Go down

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm sure they are heartbroken about that.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 11:07 pm

S.D. wrote:
jstate wrote:

Make that three of us, love that disc
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 2:18 am

EmoElmo wrote:
This is one of those bands (and Mekong Delta) that didn't click on me.

I enjoy MD at times, but I think VOIVOD are MUCH better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Voivod - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voivod   Voivod - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Voivod
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next