Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's with these back to school supplies?

Go down 
+17
sheets
QuothTheRaven
spiritoradio
tohostudios
Troublezone
Addy
akeldama
Tall Tyrion
sam
DallasBlack
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Stender
stepcousin
scottmitchell74
DeathCult
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

What's with these back to school supplies? Empty
PostSubject: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 pm

The days of some pee-chees, paper and pens are over. My 6th grader needs composition notebooks, a zip up binder to hold them, and about 15 other things. Seriously going to cost at least $200 dollars for the three and that's if I skimp on some things. This is insane.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:18 pm

Now you know why the chinese sell their spawn
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:20 pm

I feel for you Nazgul. Our school has this massive list each child must bring. We notice that the teachers end up with tons of leftovers each year, so we send what we want. It is getting ridiculous what they request.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am

Tell me about it. I have 2 girls going into 7th grade in a couple weeks. Oh, the horror of it all!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:01 am

Being a young person coming out of the public school thing, I will say that out of all the stuff the schools have for supplies requirements on those lists....like a quarter of it is actually used for school stuff..........the rest, various missiles etc. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:11 am

My kids are still a few years off before I need to take out a 2nd mortage to pay for school supplies, but I do get bummed out when I see the back-to-school stuff showing up the day after Independence Day.

I hate that retailers rush the seasons/holidays. By my count, we should start seeing Halloween decorations in about another week or so. Crying or Very sad

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I hate that retailers rush the seasons/holidays. By my count, we should start seeing Halloween decorations in about another week or so. Crying or Very sad

The A&P near me already has a display of Halloween candy out on the shelves. Who the hell buys their Halloween candy in August?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 am

I know what you mean - my son starts first grade this fall and the kindergarden supplies where $$$!!!!! I had to find a single dry erase market and NO ONE HAD ONE - they were ALLL SOLD OUT because every parent in count bought them for their kids!!!!! I ended up buying a box of them and gave them to the teacher in case other kids had the same issue I did....

I guess that shows me for waiting for the last minute to buy supplies!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:47 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

No kidding, Wal-Mart started getting in Back-To-School supplies before school was even out (they were displayed a month into the Summer break).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 11:59 am

Stuff like this is getting way out of hand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 1:40 pm

One class wants 10 red ball point pens. I don't think i've used 10 in my whole life.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 pm

My school buys a pack for each kid, and the cost is rolled into the
tuition. You're still paying for it, but I don't have to go to the
store. Big plus, in my book. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 8:00 pm

I don't have to worry this year, the school my daughter attends is buying the whol student body's school supplies.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:51 pm

Nice.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:24 am

my oldest stepson starts 6th grade next week
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 am

The teachers requesting these odd duck supplies are lame. A notebook, #2 pencil, black pen and backpack is all you should need...
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 am

Remember when we had to make bookcovers as kids?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am

Addy wrote:

Yep, out of brown paper grocery bags or the Sunday comics. Nowadays if your kid went to school sporting those covers on his books, the other kids would think your family is on welfare.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:32 am

Addy wrote:

I remember when Burger King used to give out really cool bookcovers.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:38 am

I remember those
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Addy wrote:

Yep, out of brown paper grocery bags or the Sunday comics. Nowadays if your kid went to school sporting those covers on his books, the other kids would think your family is on welfare.

My wife & I were just talking about that the other night when we went grocery shopping. Those brown paper bags are getting scarce. Everything is in plastic bags now. I said to her "Good thing we don't need 'em to cover text books" Laughing

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 12:08 pm

Quote :

Yes!! Great memory. You would use grocery bags turned inside out and then decorate it yourself. That was a highlight and a ritual of starting a new school year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 pm

And covered in Metal bands using there style of writing? Ahhhh, the good ol' days.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:29 pm

I never had to use half the stuff that my parents "had" to buy for school and when I got to junior high school all I used was 1 notebook, 1 folder and a pen that's it. I feel bad that my parents had to spend all that money. I loved using paper bags as book covers, because as stated earlier you could write your favorite band names and logos all over the front and back. It's the little things that made school tolerable.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 3:34 pm

Some of my current students still make their own out of paper bags! As a teacher, I never really understood the need for a supply list as long as your arm, either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's with these back to school supplies?   What's with these back to school supplies? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's with these back to school supplies?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next