Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Back to old school

Go down 
+10
stepcousin
scottmitchell74
Stender
Lari
jstate
Addy
Metallic Blaze
Orion Crystal Ice
Temple of Blood
Gilbert
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm

I've been listening to nothing but old school metal for the last six months: black sabbath, deep purple, AC/DC, accept, nazareth...

I don't think it's a nostalgia issue. It's just that this music is so good that new releases can barely compete with it. Back to old school 11840

Don't you agree?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:02 pm

For the most part. But there are some great worthy releases in the underground that get ignored because of all the major label metal releases that have more hype and crowd out the better stuff.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:05 pm

No. But it could be that what you refer to as good in an objective sense is just a lot of aspects that bands from a certain period shared, from production values to the influences they had as they came up..things that are mostly exclusive to bands of that ilk. Which.. it's your preference, and there is nothing wrong with it. But it is subjective.

By comparison of decade, I tend to find about as much crap as I do good music in each - relative to what's put out, of course. There are many more bands now then there used to be and that will have an influence when someone looks and compares. Overall, I have an equal use for all music that I find to be enjoyable, regardless of origin.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:08 pm

I do agree that the "modern era" has its amazing moments too. I enjoy some of the new bands, mainly Cauldron.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:34 am

I like both eras almost equally. They both have a large amount to offer.

For old school:

Manowar
Virgin Steele
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath
Rush
Venom

new school:

Therion
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Iron Fire
Power Quest
Nightwish
In This Moment

they both have some of my favorite bands.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 2:18 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I've been listening to nothing but old school metal for the last six months: black sabbath, deep purple, AC/DC, accept, nazareth...

I don't think it's a nostalgia issue. It's just that this music is so good that new releases can barely compete with it. Back to old school 11840

Don't you agree?

I can agree on that not just metal wise but all of Rock N Roll personally I think the 70s was a great time for Rock
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 5:20 pm

I sometimes wonder if the old school stuff I love is because I really love it or has nostalgia caused me to love it (or is it the crazy price I paid to get it?). Doesn't matter either way, but I do think it would be interesting what my reaction to some of these favorites would be if I hadn't been living with them for so long.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Nostalgia really does make older albums feel better than they actually are. Hard to be objective when it comes to "OMG the first metal album I ever owned!".
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Lari wrote:
Nostalgia really does make older albums feel better than they actually are. Hard to be objective when it comes to "OMG the first metal album I ever owned!".

Exactly.

That is why I try to treat newer bands with the mentality of 'would this have the same power of nostalgia my 80s stuff does given the time?'.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:45 pm

I dont even have enough time to check the new stuff coming out, too much really really great metal I need to get from before I was born. Back to old school 11840
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Stender wrote:
I dont even have enough time to check the new stuff coming out, too much really really great metal I need to get from before I was born. Back to old school 11840

I kinda feel that way too. Of course, I'm even older than you.

But I try to buy half and half. Half new and half old. That way I am catching up on stuff I missed out on - while furthering my collection of newer bands (so I'm not out of touch with the current scene).
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:29 pm

The high-water old(er) stuff is incredible, but I really love where Metal has gone the last 10-15 years.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSat Mar 13, 2010 8:49 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
The high-water old(er) stuff is incredible, but I really love where Metal has gone the last 10-15 years.

Same here. Some of my favorites are all newer bands.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 1:23 am

I could live off of 1965-1985 music (all kinds of genres) for the rest of my life if I had to. However, I'm glad I dont have to.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 am

What made me conclude that old school is very good, is the fact that i have been enjoying a lot getting into some old bands recently, just like NAZARETH. The first time i heard them, i fell in love with their music and ended up going for their whole catalogue within a few days.

Almost none of the new bands have had such an impact on me.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 3:16 pm

There are plenty of great new bands out there. I just don't think you are looking that close.

Nazareth METAL? WHAT? I don't think they are even close.

I love old metal too and an older metalhead will always listen to it.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:18 am

In the old vs. new comparison, one thing I find with myself is that bad production from the 80's actually gives those records a certain charm that I love. While I would never find the same to be true for newer material. The older stuff I love and accept for it's limitations while holding the newer stuff to much higher standards. And I also tend to hate re-recordings updating the production.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 10:21 am

Most of my playlist is 70s or 80s stuff anyway, although there are definitely exceptions (for example Warning, The Lamp of Thoth, Tales of Medusa, Solstice etc.).
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Lurideath wrote:
There are plenty of great new bands out there. I just don't think you are looking that close.

Nazareth METAL? WHAT? I don't think they are even close.

I love old metal too and an older metalhead will always listen to it.

They're not metal. They're heavy rock, and loud enough for their era. Back to old school 11840
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 5:10 pm

I love those old bands but i also like many of the 90s and the new millenium. Of the newer heavy metal bands i love;
CAULDRON
STRIKER(CAN)
ENFORCER(SWE)
METAL INQUISITOR (not so new anymore)
WITCHUNTER
WITCHCURSE
BUD TRIBE
STEEL HORSE
WILD
OKER
and a long etc...
All this bands are keeping the flag of heavy metal high.
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Metal Inquisitor is awesome. I love their second LP. Cauldron is pretty boring imo though. Striker and Enforcer are great too.
Back to top Go down
JDC
Metal novice
Metal novice
JDC

Number of posts : 74

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 12:32 pm

I love Cauldron. Just seen them open for Municipal Waste a few months back and they were great live. I prefer their EP over the "Chained To The Nite" album. Thier previous band Goat Horn had some good songs, they were a little more doomy than Cauldron
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Back to old school Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back to old school   Back to old school Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Back to old school
Page 1 of 1