Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Anthrax done?

Go down 
+21
metalinmyveins
Svengo
Rex
mc666
powermacho
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
manny
Schbopo
MetalFRO
sheets
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
sam
A Handful of Wayne
akeldama
Fat Freddy
Shiney
thejokeriv
ultmetal
Troublezone
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 pm

I doubt they are making much if any money these days.

They've definitely lost their way though. I think Charlie wrote a lot of guitar riffs back on the early albums too though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 1:28 pm

You think it's for money? Wouldn't you have to sell records to make money on them? They can make money on touring an their back catalog. I actually really like Volume 8, different but still Anthrax.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Quote :
While I do acknowledge that some of those releases are only contractual obligations, I still get the feeling that the band has had something to say about a few of them.

When talking about greatest hits/compilation albums, I think it's fair to say that just about ANY band that has been around 20+ years with varying degrees of success have more than their share of compilation/live albums at this point in their careers, most of them being released by record companies moreso than the band themselves. I don't know that it's fair to single out Anthax for this practice. It's easier to re-package the "hits" than to promote a new album.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 2:22 pm

I have to agree with you Coma, that Anthrax is a different animal than it was during the Joey Belladonna days, but it is still Anthrax. As far as Charlie writing the riffs, I believe ToB is correct, Charlie always wrote the majority of riffs.

As far as album sells go, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe each new release has sold less than the previous release, excluding comp. albums.
Back to top Go down
Coma
Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:36 am

By saying "keeping the band alive for money", I never said they were rich. ;-)

It means that $$$ is more of a motivation now than making music. It's the impression I get, especially after having read an interview with Billy Milano about how Scott & Charlie handled the S.O.D. reunion.

True, at some point, when a band grows bigger, the business aspect becomes a huge factor and sometimes takes over the music side of things. However, I don't think Anthrax ever were in the same category than bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica and the likes. Priest and Maiden both got rid of their singers only to take them back a few years later (probably a business decision more than anything else), and despite this, have still managed to release quality albums and have toured a lot. Can you say the same thing about Anthrax?
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am

Quote :
have still managed to release quality albums and have toured a lot. Can you say the same thing about Anthrax?

That's just a matter of opinion there. I've enjoyed every album Anthrax has put out, no matter what the line-up. I get the point your trying to make, but I'm also an Anthrax fan that loves all of their music so it's hard for me to criticize 'em. And I could make the argument that the last Priest and Maiden discs have been sub-par efforts on their part. I have to make a conscious effort to listen to A Matter of Life & Death and I can't even get through both discs of Nostradomas. But We've Come For You All sounds just as good today as it did when it was released back in 2003.

Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 pm

It's always a matter of opinions and impressions when discussing about heavy metal music, I don't think there are any certitudes except the fact that "Load" and "Reload" are total crap. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 12:48 pm

Quote :
except the fact that "Load" and "Reload" are total crap. :-)

Now there's something I can agree with! lol!

PostSubject: Re: Is Anthrax done?   anthrax - Is Anthrax done? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Anthrax done?
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5