Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Surprise Sophomore Releases

Go down 
+9
Lari
mc666
akeldama
MetalGuy71
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
T-Roy
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

Surprise Sophomore Releases Empty
PostSubject: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:09 pm

This was brought up in the Sacrament thread about what a shocker Sacrament's sophomore release, Haunts of Violence, was compared to their first full length Testimony of Apocalypse. Truly HOV was a major shocker and huge jump from muddy, ground together production and musicianship to insane riffage and super tight pummeling thrash. I think Wolfe helped that jump in the vocal change but good grief, the band sounds completely different to me.

What other sophomore surprises left you totally blindsided?
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Vengeance Rising - Once Dead

Their first album is pretty horrible. Extreme metal for the sake of being extreme. The second release was stellar, IMO.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Vengeance Rising - Once Dead

Their first album is pretty horrible. Extreme metal for the sake of being extreme. The second release was stellar, IMO.
Are you referring to Human Sacrifice?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Anthrax's SPREADING THE DISEASE. While I got nuthin' against FISTFUL OF METAL (their debut), it was pretty basic, NWOBHM-on-speed kinda stuff. On SPREADING THE DISEASE they kicked up the intensity a few notches and sounded like a whole different animal.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Sacrament-Haunts of Violence
Vengeance Rising-Once Dead
Deliverance-Weapons of Our Warfare
Tourniquet-Psychosurgery
Hyades-And the Worst is Yet to Come
Exodus-Pleasures of the Flesh
Theocracy-Mirror of Souls
Artillery-By Inheritance

And probably THE Best surprise ever-Forbidden-Twisted Into Form
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:46 pm

T-Roy wrote:

Yep.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm

I'll have to go with Exhorder, Slaughter was full on speed, & The Law was way more groove oreinted.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

Yep.
I don't even KNOW you anymore. Suspect
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Anthrax's SPREADING THE DISEASE. While I got nuthin' against FISTFUL OF METAL (their debut), it was pretty basic, NWOBHM-on-speed kinda stuff. On SPREADING THE DISEASE they kicked up the intensity a few notches and sounded like a whole different animal.

Ya know, I never thought of it that way, but you make a good point there, Frodrick.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Living Sacrifice-Nonexistent Totally different from the debut both musically and vocally, the vox on this one ruined the album IMO.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:18 pm

akeldama wrote:
Living Sacrifice-Nonexistent Totally different from the debut both musically and vocally, the vox on this one ruined the album IMO.
Yeah...this would be on the all-time "bad" sophomore releases. Just awful. Little better on the next one Inhabit. When Truby left....they tanked big time.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

T-Roy wrote:
akeldama wrote:
Yeah...this would be on the all-time "bad" sophomore releases. Just awful. Little better on the next one Inhabit. When Truby left....they tanked big time.

I've always liked the direction they took with Bruce Fitzhugh on vox/guitar and Rocky Gray on guitar, he's far better than Truby IMO.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Danzig II: Lucifuge
Stuck Mojo - Pigwalk
Tiamat - Clouds

T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:30 pm

akeldama wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
akeldama wrote:

I've always liked the direction they took with Bruce Fitzhugh on vox/guitar and Rocky Gray on guitar, he's far better than Truby IMO.
Oh I love modern day Living Sacrifice allot! Reborn and Conceived in Fire are two of my favorite CD's. I'm talking about the original line up only.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 2:39 pm

T-Roy wrote:
akeldama wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Oh I love modern day Living Sacrifice allot! Reborn and Conceived in Fire are two of my favorite CD's. I'm talking about the original line up only.

T-Roy do you like Soul Embraced?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:12 pm

LOVE 'EM!!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Another sophomore surprise, SACRIFICIUM - Escaping the Stupor.

Cold Black Piece of Flesh is a brutal, crunchy and raw script of death metal. But Escaping the Stupor is this relentless, refined, blistering progressive death metal release that really sounds like a totally different band. But awesome.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 4:11 pm

I know it was way before I was even born, but I can imagine hearing Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny after their debut Rocka Rolla really surprised a lot people.

From my own experiences, the Nightwish debut Angels Fall First was quite bad in pretty much every way. Bad production, performance, vocals and the songs were atmospheric, almost ambient. Well, maybe some of them had a bit of a rock'n'roll kick in them, but still not something I would really call 'metal'. Or good music, for that matter.

But then they came up with Oceanborn which is just pure euro-power/speed metal goodness.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
Sure, Rocka Rolla was good, but "Sad Wings of Destiny" began a whole new era of heavy metal!

Aerosmith - Get Your Wings
Once again, the s/t debut was good, but Get Your Wings was outstanding!

Anvil - Metal on Metal
I've yet to meet a metal fan that didn't think Metal on Metal was one of the band's greatest records!

Exodus - Pleasures of the Flesh
Some may disagree with me on this one, but enter Steve Souza and enter a new era of thrash metal!

Saxon - Wheels of Steel
Light years ahead of the debut IMO!

Narnia - Long Live the King
Lost the Yngwie clone stats and gained an identity of their own. Great CD!

Ultimatum - Puppet of Destruction
Well, IMO it's a big step up.

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Quote :
Saxon - Wheels of Steel
Light years ahead of the debut IMO!

Not even in the same universe.

Blind Guardian-Follow The Blind
Battalions is good but this is starting to show some of the neo-classical stuff I really like that they do.

Guardian-Fire And Love
With Rowe they became awesome.

Dokken-Tooth and Nail
Vies to be my favorite Dokken.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4602

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 9:59 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Sacrament-Haunts of Violence
Vengeance Rising-Once Dead
Deliverance-Weapons of Our Warfare
Tourniquet-Psychosurgery
Hyades-And the Worst is Yet to Come
Exodus-Pleasures of the Flesh
Theocracy-Mirror of Souls
Artillery-By Inheritance

And probably THE Best surprise ever-Forbidden-Twisted Into Form

One problem with that, skippy. That was their 3rd album. Razz

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:10 pm

David Lee Roth-Eat Em' and Smile

It's still the best Van Halen album that Van Halen never made.

Last edited by Schbopo on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 pm

King Kobra - Thrill of a Lifetime.

I was surprised how much it sucked after a masterpiece of a debut!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:30 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Totally agree with you! Other suprise releases that were so much better:

Barren Cross - Atomic Arena
Bloodgood - Detonation
Dokken - Tooth & Nail (I HATED breaking the chains!)
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Bride - Live To Die (Wow, talk about a HUGE improvement! Plus, one of the most kick a** albums in Christian Metal!)
King's X - Gretchen Goes To Nebraska
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Surprise Sophomore Releases   Surprise Sophomore Releases Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Surprise Sophomore Releases
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next