Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence

Go down 
+12
biddle
stepcousin
powermacho
MetalFRO
Troublezone
FlyingV
Temple of Blood
stevegarveyfan
Thrasher73
Stender
ultmetal
T-Roy
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Empty
PostSubject: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:02 am

Is this THE greatest Christian thrash album of all time? I'm thinking yes. The only band I can't compare it to is Believer. BUT, I have had all the other great Christian thrash masterpieces.

I have been comparing HOV to the following legendary thrash releases for years now:
Deliverance - Weapons of Our Warfare and Self Titled
Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice
Living Sacrifice - ST
The Crucified - Pillars of Humanity
Tourniquet - Psycho Surgery and POD
Seventh Angel - The Torment
Mortification - Scrolls of The Megillloth

All these are fantastic but the bottom line for me anyway, when any song from HOV comes on my shuffle I am totally consumed by it. I can still listen to the entire album start to finish and be blown away like I just picked it up yesterday. I just love the riffs, guitar tones, song architecture, drums, vocals, everything is so tight and brutal. It's hard to pick a favorite out of any of these, but I think I can finally say Haunts of Violence is my all time favorite thrash album if not album, period.

What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 am

I like it. Always liked Wolfe's shrill vocals on that album. It probably wouldn't top "Human Sacrifice" as my favorite Christian thrash album of all time, but it's a great CD nonetheless.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:07 am

Its good, but not better than VR.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:08 am

ultmetal wrote:
I like it. Always liked Wolfe's shrill vocals on that album. It probably wouldn't top "Human Sacrifice" as my favorite Christian thrash album of all time, but it's a great CD nonetheless.
I think Human Sacrifice would be right there for me too. That was an epic CD for me.

YES, Wolfe's vocals cut to my SOUL! headbanger
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:09 am

What about Believer? Anything they have that could be considered among these other legendary titles?
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:12 am

T-Roy wrote:
What about Believer? Anything they have that could be considered among these other legendary titles?

Both Extraction from mortality and sanity obscure are great. Dimensions went alot more progressive but still was ahead of its time,(with the exception of anacrusis)not my favorate of the 3 but still okay.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 am

I'd have to say its one of THE best thrash albums of all time.Wolfes vocals are great on this.I like this much better than Testimony of Apocalypse.I wish they'd release something new.What ever happened to these guys anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:51 am

Quote :
I like this much better than Testimony of Apocalypse

As do I...
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:54 am

Yes, it is technically sound and VERY tight, and I think it's a GREAT album. The one thing that I don't like, if I can find one thing to gripe about, is the inorganic, almost-too-structured feel of it. Otherwise, it is one fantastic slab of thrash indeed.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:56 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
I like this much better than Testimony of Apocalypse

As do I...
Absolutely. Not even close here. In fact, I've been thinking about starting a thread the last couple weeks called "Surprise Sophomore Releases" or "Sophomore Shockers" or something like that because I know I NEVER saw HOV coming based off of Testimony. I'd of NEVER thought it.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
Yes, it is technically sound and VERY tight, and I think it's a GREAT album. The one thing that I don't like, if I can find one thing to gripe about, is the inorganic, almost-too-structured feel of it. Otherwise, it is one fantastic slab of thrash indeed.
Sort of like Weapons of Our Warfare as well? I think I know what your getting at. You prefer it a little more rough around the edges...like VR or Seventh Angel?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:00 pm

The title track has some really cool riffs in it.

Overall as an album, I don't think it is close to being as good as "Weapons" or "Stop the Bleeding" though.

I wonder what a reunion album from this band would sound like.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
The title track has some really cool riffs in it.

Overall as an album, I don't think it is close to being as good as "Weapons" or "Stop the Bleeding" though.

I've said for over a decade that Weapons was my favorite all time thrash and metal album. It took awhile but I think Haunts finally overtook it for me.....JUST BARELY THOUGH! Still love that one. Funny thing is, I bought HOV as a new release....still have that CD. I don't ever even remember listening to it until I dug it out of my garage about two years ago and went....oh yeah. Ever since then it's just been incredible to me.
Back to top Go down
FlyingV
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
FlyingV

Number of posts : 270

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 pm

I actually like Testimony of Apocalypse better. sigh
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:24 pm

FlyingV wrote:
REBEL! headbanger

**HELICOPTERS.....MARCHING***
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 12:56 pm

FlyingV wrote:

Me too actually.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Haunts is a great album and much better than Testimony. It definately raised the bar in Christian thrash when it came out.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Haunts is a great album and much better than Testimony. It definately raised the bar in Christian thrash when it came out.
FINALLY...someones talking some SENSE around here. cool
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 pm

^^ Agreed. "Haunts of Violence" is a MONSTER album that definitely belongs in the upper echelon of thrash metal, period. Perhaps not the best Christian thrash of all time, but close. Certainly belongs in the top 5 for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:40 am

I don't own it on CD, I only have testimony of apocalypse. I which they re-reissued Haunts of violence to have my change to get it. I actually have it on cassette, but the cassette player from my room doesn't work, so I haven't give it some spins and I would if I had it on cd. I remember that the album sounded very different from TOA, It was slower but heavier, just like Seventh avenue with their 2 albums they had
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 am

I like Believer's debut better, as well as "Weapons" and STB by TQT. HOV would land somewhere in my top 10 of best christian thrash albums, maybe around 7 or 8. I love the album but my only knock on it is it is a bit one-dimensional; mid-tempo/thrash, mid-tempo/thrash, nothing else. Now I'm not saying that is such a bad thing, especially when all you want to do it thrash out. When I was younger all I was into was thrash, more thrash, and total thrash (My favorite phrase back in the day was "Thrash Til Death!!" and "Death To Posers!!" These days, I like a bit more variety, but I still like to RAGE!!
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:39 am

MetalFRO wrote:
^^ Agreed. "Haunts of Violence" is a MONSTER album that definitely belongs in the upper echelon of thrash metal, period. Perhaps not the best Christian thrash of all time, but close. Certainly belongs in the top 5 for me.
COME HERE BIG GUY!!! :glee:
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am

MetalFRO wrote:

Would make my Top 10 but would be under albums like Once Dead, Into the Pit, Sanity Obscure and a few others.
Back to top Go down
steelers
Metal student
Metal student
steelers

Number of posts : 105

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Top 3 easy! Maybe #1.
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 6:04 pm

I wish I still had both of my Testimony of Apocalypse and Haunts of Violence discs...

...but at least I have them in mp3 format, now, and I've burned them onto disc.

Both excellent albums in their own respects. Saw both lineups live, too, which were both real treats.

Quote :

Indeed. Me, too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence   SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SACRAMENT - Haunts of Violence
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next