Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The next Slayer album

Go down 
+14
James B.
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Leatherface
sam
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
SlaytanicPOWER
INVADERS
Required Fields
mc666
Stender
Troublezone
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The next Slayer album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 pm

sam wrote:
detuned wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
SLAYER doesn't have to break any new ground...they only have to be SLAYER...

headbanger

Exactly.

just how is should be!

headbanger

Sometimes staying the same like AC/DC is the right thing to do and what the fans want. Slayer isn't a prog rock band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 6:18 am

Troublezone wrote:
sam wrote:
detuned wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
SLAYER doesn't have to break any new ground...they only have to be SLAYER...

headbanger

Exactly.

just how is should be!

headbanger

Sometimes staying the same like AC/DC is the right thing to do and what the fans want. Slayer isn't a prog rock band.

My point...and sometimes when a band stays the same, ie "do what they do", they sound "generic" or "stale" because we simply know what to expect already...it's not the band in this case, it's the listener...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 8:27 am

Uh ... no. That is not what makes a band "generic" and "stale" in my estimation. Case in point, I don't feel that way at all about the new MEGADETH song and it really doesn't break any new ground. It's about the quality of the writing.

I don't expect metal bands to create brand new genres with every album they release.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:47 am

Quote :
in my estimation

Everything hinges on personal taste...my statement is just my opinion...

Quote :
It's about the quality of the writing.

Which is judged by individual listeners and their personal tastes...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 10:36 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

So are you this relativistic about every aspect of art? Acting, musical performance, etc .... there is no objective measure of quality in these areas?

I wonder why anyone bothers to take music or acting lessons in that case.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 am

The next Slayer album - Page 2 12087

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
Uh ... no. That is not what makes a band "generic" and "stale" in my estimation. Case in point, I don't feel that way at all about the new MEGADETH song and it really doesn't break any new ground. It's about the quality of the writing.
i find latter day Megadeth totally boring & Slayer still interesting. which really proves Shawn's point. good/bad song writing is a matter of personal opinion.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am

Some people consider Michael Bay to be a great film maker too. And they are wrong. Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

So are you this relativistic about every aspect of art? Acting, musical performance, etc .... there is no objective measure of quality in these areas?

I wonder why anyone bothers to take music or acting lessons in that case.

People take lessons to either A- acheive a self-imposed level of quality or B- acheive a level of quality dictated by someone else.

I mean, there is plenty of stuff I find boring and useless...and other people find the same stuff enjoyable and important...I learned a long time ago to not pretend that there is some invisible standard by which to separate good & bad.

Now, that said, technical proficiency can be scaled...it's obvious when someone is not quite as skillful in thier execution as someone else may be on drums/guitar/whatever...these kinds of things come with time and practice...but the results of the output is still up to the listener to deem "enjoyable" or "boring"..."good" or "bad". Which is one reason when I give something a poor review, I'll say something like "I can hear that the band is full of good musicians, it just comes across boring to me..." as opposed to "the songwriting is just plain bad"...

For people like you and me (who actually do write songs), the temptation is there to judge other bands' output not only by what we already like to listen to, but also by our own definition of "quality"...I've done it plenty of times..."if I don't like it, then it must be of low quality"...I just learned, for myself, that this is not always the case. It bugs me even more when music fans who've never picked up an instrument suddenly become "armchair songwriters" making comments like "the songwriting is bad" or "the don't have quality songs" or other some such nonsense when in reality the most they can realistically say is "I don't like the songwriting" or "it's boring to me". People pretending to be privvy to some "ultimate standard of musical quality" really bug me, personally...especially when there is not a musical bone in their body. Ultimately, it's all a simple case of "I like it" or "I don't like it".

There are local bands around here that get hyped and built up as "awesome" and whatever, but when I hear them I'm like "meh"...doesn't mean they suck...it just means I don't like it...now the reason I don't like it may be that I think they don't play/execute very well (sloppy, inexperienced), and maybe they don't, or it may be that they play well and I just don't like the songs they wrote...either way, I just don't like it.

Ultimately, the older I get, I fall deeply into the "you either like it or you don't" camp...
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks for elaborating on your position. I respectfully disagree however and don't really have time to type out a ton of stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Thanks for elaborating on your position. I respectfully disagree however and don't really have time to type out a ton of stuff.

Fair enough. I do have a question, though...

Suppose someone reviewed TEMPLE OF BLOOD and said "This band does not write good songs...they are generic and boring..."...what would you say to them?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 pm

I've had reviews like that.

The first thing I'd say would be, "Tell me what you think the 10 of the best metal songs are." I wanna see where they're coming from first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I've had reviews like that.

The first thing I'd say would be, "Tell me what you think the 10 of the best metal songs are." I wanna see where they're coming from first.

You're thinking too hard...haha! You don't need to know a reviewers musical history to properly judge whether they gave you a correct or incorrect review...reviews are only opinions.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 2:28 pm

The next Slayer album - Page 2 Bear-sitting-picnic-table

"About the new Slayer album, I was just gonna say...Ok, nevermind. I can wait till you guys are done here."

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Some people consider Michael Bay to be a great film maker too. And they are wrong. Razz

Holy smurf poo, I actually agree with you. For once.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Dream Theater are top notch musicians but overall i find them super boring. I think the new Megadeth song is mediocre. Being good musicians doesn't always translate to good music...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Okay, at some point this thread was actually about:

The next Slayer album - Page 2 Slayer_logo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Dream Theater are top notch musicians but overall i find them super boring. I think the new Megadeth song is mediocre. Being good musicians doesn't always translate to good music...

The bold parts illustrate my point...personal taste.

"Good music" is in the ear of the listener...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:49 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

The bold parts illustrate my point...personal taste.

"Good music" is in the ear of the listener...

I agree with you, but since opinions are running rampant... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 pm

I think you're all wrong.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:06 pm

SpectreFate wrote:

Care to elaborate? The next Slayer album - Page 2 309780
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Troublezone wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Care to elaborate? The next Slayer album - Page 2 309780

You're all not wrong on this subject SPECifically, just in general. I am always right. About everything. 'cept complete sentences.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

You sure have aged a lot since last year. Happy early 70th b-day!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 7:06 pm

something to add to the equation...

one of the first "christian" bands I was in had this bass player who mostly rode the top open E string and on occasion would follow the guitar players at the end of a progression. Really basic, simple, borong type stuff. Anyways, onstage the guy was all over the place. Jumping, spinning, the whole circus acrobat routine. Well... he went off to college and we got this dude with more degrees than a thermometer. He was like
an octopuss playing the bass. But once he posted up onstage, He was there like feet in cement shoes. My point is this... After one show at The Waters Club, a person comes up to me and says " what happened to your old bass player? He was awesome. I liked him better than the new guy"

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 9:33 pm

James B. wrote:
something to add to the equation...

one of the first "christian" bands I was in had this bass player who mostly rode the top open E string and on occasion would follow the guitar players at the end of a progression. Really basic, simple, borong type stuff. Anyways, onstage the guy was all over the place. Jumping, spinning, the whole circus acrobat routine. Well... he went off to college and we got this dude with more degrees than a thermometer. He was like
an octopuss playing the bass. But once he posted up onstage, He was there like feet in cement shoes. My point is this... After one show at The Waters Club, a person comes up to me and says " what happened to your old bass player? He was awesome. I liked him better than the new guy"

I hear ya man. If a band still has loads of heart, I probably wouldnt care all that much if the next album turns out moderately sketchy musically. I think Slayer still has heart, and for that I know as long as that is true their albums will rule.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The next Slayer album   The next Slayer album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The next Slayer album
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next