Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Five Albums That Changed Your Life

Go down 
+51
Rami Airola
Gilbert
muztaine
DeathCult
Svengo
Cliffy
Wargod
Jedilink
krokus
juanmiguel
DallasBlack
spiritoradio
Ben Grimm
stevegarveyfan
QuothTheRaven
XYZ
sam
powermacho
ultmetal
Glenn Rogers
MetalGuy71
SlaytanicPOWER
Getizzyback
INVADERS
Leatherface
mez
jstate
James B.
sheets
candlemass
Stender
7thSecond
T-Roy
iamrockerfun
kmorg
akeldama
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Dave the Boss
stepcousin
Troublezone
Thrasher73
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
manny
Smindas
ghost
Lari
mc666
Schbopo
55 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:48 pm

T-Roy wrote:
Desctruction Comes and RUTE WHERE AWESEOME and VERY underrated still even to this day IMO. Killer killer stuff especially considering all the line up changes and RM constantly getting hosed.

Hosed? By who?

Released and Destruction were essentially Roger solo albums. He wrote the songs, played the rhythm tracks and did all the vocals. He brought in guest musicians for the rest. He never really had a solid line-up after the original line-up split in 1991.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 1:37 pm

During my paper route as a kid I would listen to my dad's cassettes and I would switch between these albums:

Aerosmith - Draw the Line

Queen - News of the World

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Santana - Greatest Hits

AC/DC - Who Made Who
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:05 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
During my paper route as a kid I would listen to my dad's cassettes and I would switch between these albums:

Santana - Greatest Hits

AC/DC - Who Made Who

Your dad has excellent taste.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
T-Roy wrote:
Desctruction Comes and RUTE WHERE AWESEOME and VERY underrated still even to this day IMO. Killer killer stuff especially considering all the line up changes and RM constantly getting hosed.

Hosed? By who?

Released and Destruction were essentially Roger solo albums. He wrote the songs, played the rhythm tracks and did all the vocals. He brought in guest musicians for the rest. He never really had a solid line-up after the original line-up split in 1991.
yeah...what I said! Laughing
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:36 pm

Hard to pick just 5 but:

Metallica-The Black Album (simply put, if this album wasn't released, I'd probably be a rap, country, or alternative fan)

Iron Maiden-Fear Of The Dark (started my love affair with a band that is my utmost favorite)

Savatage-Edge Of Thorns (same thing here)

Dream Theater-Awake (started my love affair with prog metal-although my first intro to them was Pull Me Under, my first album was Awake several years later).

King Diamond-Abigail (the spookiest thing I had ever heard at the time-simply one of the best metal albums EVER!!!!)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
juanmiguel
Metal student
Metal student
juanmiguel

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Hey guys!!!!!!!!! Long time no post, eh?
Here are mine:

Metallica-s/t
Guns n Roses- Appetite for Destruction
Scar Symmetry- Pitch Black Progress
Symphony X- The Oddysey
Allen/Lande- The Battle and The Revenge
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 5:23 pm

All this albums done something to me in the past, to my life:
Records released in the 80s:
SCORPIONS:WORLD WIDE LIVE
THOR:ONLY THE STRONG
VENOM:WELCOME TO HELL
KISS:CREATURES OF THE NIGHT
METALLICA:KILL EM ALL
Records released in the 90s:
ALICE COOPER:HEY STOOPID
HAMMEFALL:GLORY TO THE BRAVE
IRON MAIDEN:FEAR OF THE DARK
WASP:THE CRIMSON IDOL
MEGADETH:COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:35 pm

manny wrote:
spiritoradio wrote:

Santana - Greatest Hits

AC/DC - Who Made Who

Your dad has excellent taste.

Thanks Very Happy He taught me well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 1:45 am

1) Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind - The first IM video I've ever saw: Flight of Icarus, just blowed my mind!!!

2) Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - When I relized Paganini, Vivaldi and other baroque masters could merge with metal on an amazing, well created harmony.

3) Yngwie's Trilogy- You don't remember I'll never forget

4) Yngwie Malmsteen - Seventh Sign - Just because it is one of the best albums ever.

5) Yngwie Malmsteen - Facing the animal - It made me feel great. That is my "feeling good" cd.
Back to top Go down
Jedilink
Metal student
Metal student
Jedilink

Number of posts : 136

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 4:02 am

Tourniquet - Microscopic View Of A Telescopic Realm.

This was literally THE album that first introduced me to metal at all. I'd heard metal, but never this awesome. I bought this, and haven't looked back.

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville.

Laugh all you want but this album makes me happy every time I hear it. No matter what, I love Liz Phair. If I could I would marry Liz Phair just because of this album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jedilink
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Hey dude I am Liz Phair, fan, at least of her first two albums.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 6:42 pm

BOC - Tyranny & Mutations
Scorpions - Blackout
Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather
Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
Rush - S/T

Wargod50
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
BOC - Tyranny & Mutations
Scorpions - Blackout
Judas Priest - Hell Bent for Leather
Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
Rush - S/T

Wargod50

That's a truly awesome list...nice to see someone give props to the debut Rush album!
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Stryper - The Yellow And Black Attack
The Lifesavors - Dream Life
Kiss - Destroyer
Ramones - Ramones
Kix - Blow My Fuse

But there are many more than five...AC/DC, Dokken, Keel, Saint, Messiah Prophet...the list of uber important releases for me during my teenage years is just so long!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 10:38 pm

The five I picked above where albums that changed my life in my early years of metal. I'm going for albums that made an impact later in my life:

Nightwish-Century Child: I have always loved the combination of symphonic and metal but never quite the way Nightwish does it. The operatic element is one that has been copied by many bands but none have been able to match the quality of NIghtwish.

Rhapsody-Dawn Of Victory: Also around the time of Nightwish I discovered the masters of Epic Hollywood Metal. This time the symphonic metal had the epic feel of a movie soundtrack (I've always loved soundtracks to movies like LOTR, Willow, Secret Of NIMH, etc. and combined with my love of metal this was quite a discovery). Being a fantasy buff this music was the perfect soundtrack to all the stories I've read.

Narnia-Long Live The King: While not my first Narnia album (that'd be Desert Land), I was exposed to the Living Water and the title track from a comp. At the time I was a brand new Christian and convinced I could'nt listen to most secular bands. The only Christian bands I knew of were thrash, death, black, and metalcore and I had no idea there were Christians that played the more melodic genres of metal. Narnia gave me hope to continue my love of metal with my newfound faith.

Saviour Machine-Legend I: Also during my new Christian years I heard a demo CD at a Christian bookstore and I heard dark goth psedo-metal. While not quite up to what I loved before my conversion it was something different from all the other Christian music (extreme forms mentioned above) I was listening to at the time. Unfortunatly, they didn't have any in stock and I walked away saddened. Later at a Christian bookstore in Flordia, the manager had Legend II (w/out a case or booklet) and gave it to me for no charge.

Lost Dogs-Greenroom Serenade: This band has to be my all time favorite non-metal Christian band (at least for the first 3 albums). The great combination of classic country, rock, rockabilly, blues, and alternative moves me every time I listen to them. They moved toward a more country sound on later albums which lost me but I'll always have these and this album remains my first and favorite. When I want to feel the presence of God throuh music, there is no other band that can bring it quite like these guys.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:33 pm

The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed

Thelonius Monk - Underground

King's X - Out Of The Silent Planet

Rush - Signals (I could substitute several Rush discs here but this is where I started with them)

Clutch - S/T

It's of course hard to keep it to just five, but these albums just stick out for me right now. Next week who knows?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2009 11:52 pm

Mott The Hoople- Mott/Mott- Drive On (tie) I got both of these at the same time and even though they are completely different albums from each other, its equally important to mention both due to the differences in style between the two albums.

Iron Maiden- Killers

Black Sabbath- Born Again

Coroner- Death Cult

Death- Scream Bloody Gore

Megadeth- Peace Sells....But Who's Buying/Frank Zappa- Apostrophe (tie) it's hard as hell to pick 5, and despite these being two different albums they both threw me into two seperate artists that I love above most others.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:01 am

You don't really need to do just five, people. It's more of a guideline. In fact, I think I'll do some more.

KISS-Destroyer
For years I regarded KISS as makeup-clad old dudes who sang "Rock and Roll all Nite"....and then I heard "Destroyer".

It's a great album, and it still holds up today. You've got one of the best and most famous rock anthems of all time in "Detroit Rock City", a sappy but enjoyable ballad in "Beth", a heavy-as-hell demonic metal number in "God of Thunder" and a slew of other sing-along rock n' roll tunes. It's just a great album and one that defines what rock should be.

Devo-Q:Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

If you only know Devo as a weird 80's novelty act, then prepare to be kicked in the ass by this album. One listen to it will tell you that Devo are FREAKING MUSICAL GODS..okay, that might be a bit of hyperbole, but it's just great. Never before had I heard an album so diverse, yet so consistent. So intelligent, yet so stupid. I guess what I'm saying is that this got me interested in a lot of other genres and forced me to be more open-minded about music and life in general.

Pink Floyd-The Wall
I bought this on a whim at Target a few years back. Instantly, I was transported to some bizzare realm of musical nirvana I had never dreamt of...and I'm pretty sure I wasn't high at the time. Everything was perfect on this album. The musicianship, the storyline, the atmosphere, the songwriting...I loved everything about it, and I still do. Oh, and the movie was pretty darn cool also.

Steve Miller Band-Greatest Hits 74-78

Well, okay, maybe not life-changing, but this album is pretty much my anti-depressant. Even at my most emo moments, "Swingtown" would come on the stereo and I'd feel better. Every song is just catchy and happy. Best $6 purchase of my life.

Jethro Tull-Thick as a Brick

This is either the most brilliant idea anyone has ever had or the stupidest thing in human history. A concept album with only one 43 minute song...hmm. Well, either way, it kicks ass. The musical arrangements are nothing short of genius, and the lyrics are fantastic. Just by making it through the whole song, you get a little bit smarter. I still love the newspaper packaging.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 am

I could easily do 5 more too, so I will.

AC/DC-Let There Be Rock
Motley Crue-S/T (aka Motley Crab)
Jimi Hendrix-First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
Black Sabbath-Dehumanizer
Kiss-Rock And Roll Over
Captain Beyond-S/T
Ultra-S/T
Chase-Ennea

ok, so I didn't stop at 5.
Back to top Go down
muztaine
Metal novice
Metal novice
muztaine

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:56 am

Rhapsody - "Dawn of Victory"
First album I ever bought, got me into Power Metal and just started it all.

Megadeth -"The System Has Failed"
First Megadeth album I heard, opened up the Thrash can.

Exodus - "Bonded by Blood"
Perhaps my favourite Thrash album after Peace Sells.

Marduk - "Heaven Shall Burn... When We Are Gathered"
First Black Metal experience apart from my older brother's band.

Judas Priest - "Painkiller"
First real inspiration to become a drummer.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:37 am

Judas priest- Painkiller
Megadeth- Rust in Peace
Helloween- Dark Ride
Iron Maiden- Powerslave
Metallica- Master of Puppets
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 11:18 am

Schbopo wrote:

Jethro Tull-Thick as a Brick

This is either the most brilliant idea anyone has ever had or the stupidest thing in human history. A concept album with only one 43 minute song...hmm. Well, either way, it kicks ass. The musical arrangements are nothing short of genius, and the lyrics are fantastic. Just by making it through the whole song, you get a little bit smarter. I still love the newspaper packaging.

Great album, not my favorite Tull record but definitely one of the most conceptually interesting. A Passion Play is also in the same vein and is worth investigating (especially the new remaster which sounds great).
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, Volume XVIII - Hold on I'm Coming
http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Roll-Hall-Fame-Vol/dp/B000637WUW
This was my first music album I bought with my own money. I was about 7 years old and had got a few coins from my mother. I was in vacation and shopping with my parents. I saw there were some cassettes on sale. I picked up this one and ended up loving those songs and those sounds to the fullest!

Michael Jackson - Dangerous
I've been a big Michael Jackson fan ever since I saw the music video of Thriller when I was about 4 years old. It made me love music and movies (and zombies). I had heard songs from Off the Wall, Thriller and Bad quite often but Dangerous was the first Michael Jackson album I bought. And oh dear, how I loved it. And still love. I'm quite sad that he's gone now.

Manowar - Kings of Metal
This one was the album that finally made me love heavy metal. The exact song to blow my mind was Blood of the Kings.

Tourniquet - Psycho Surgery
It made me a huge Tourniquet fan which I am still today. It also was the record that finally defined what kind of metal music I was going to love the most for the rest of my life.

Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying

I had heard some Megadeth tunes before. I liked Holy Wars a lot and I actually owned So Far, So Good... So What! and liked Mary Jane a lot. But I lost that album and wasn't able to really find out what Megadeth was all about. Years and years passed. Every now and then I heard some Megadeth songs but I just wasn't too interested in it. Then I got this weird feeling that I should buy one of their records. So I walked to the store and grabbed Peace Sells from the shelf. I listened to it and noticed some really cool things in the first song, Wake Up Dead. After that it kinda went unnoticed until it was Bad Omen's turn. Oh man, the main riff took me by surprise. I thought that I hadn't hear this great riff in ages! Then came that short pause and the solo began! I hadn't ever heard one note played that effectively. I was so amazed I couldn't even move. After the album was over I just had to listen to it again but now with different ears. This was the moment I became a Megadeth fan.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 9:19 am

Queen s/t - early rock album I listened to as a child.
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Megadeth - Rust In Piece: first secular thrash cd
Mortification - Scrolls of the Megiloth: First death Metal
Horde -Hellig Usvart: First extreme metal
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Def Leppard: Pyromania...A cover band had come to our school at the the end of my 6th grade year (1983). We had like an hour of convocation one day The band performed some radio friendly songs. They encouraged the students to come to the show the following day after school. I can't remember if there was a fee or not, but I remember that they rocked a lot louder. They ended up playing a lot of Def Leppard, and because of that show, it was the first metal/rock album that I owned. This remains one of only three albums that I ever got on vinyl, the other being a Metallica bootleg from 1986 and one of my other choices on my list.

Metallica: Ride The Lightning....I already did a write up regarding this album and its history with me in another thread. What can I say, it opened my ears to a whole new genre when I first heard it in late 1985.

Bryan Adams: Reckless....I'm a pretty big fan of most pop music up until or around 1986/1987. This album pretty much defines what I desired in a pop/rock record. It certainly didn't hurt to have 6 of the ten songs enter the top 20. The song "Heaven" was the theme song for my 8th grade dance in the spring of 1985. The icing on the cake was, I had the gumption to ask one of the prettiest/most popular girls in the school to the dance...and she said YES.

The 5th Dimension: The Age of Aquarius...My father was/is a huge R&B fan. He had a ton of 45's, and quite a few L.P's. It's tough to narrow it down to just one album, but I think this just might be it. On Saturday/Sunday mornings, I could find my dad just lying down on the living room floor listening to the songs he grew up with, or others that had been hits not to long before this time in 1976. As a 5 year old, I would either nestle up along side of him and listen, or sit on the floor as he would sing many along to many of his favorite songs. He was always a pretty good singer, and I guess one can attribute that to his days in the Glee club. Regarding the album, I don't know that there were any better vocal harmonies than that of The 5th Dimension. Marilyn McCoo's voice was simply angelic.

John Williams: Star Wars...I can't say that I've listened to the score in a long time, but I acknowledge this album as being the first movie to appreciate a film's score. As much I appreciate the triumphant sounds of the main title of the film, my favorite piece of score is probably "The Hologram/Binary Sunset" (where Luke is standing watching the two suns set in the movie). Every time I listen to this part of the score, it sends shivers up and down my spine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Five Albums That Changed Your Life   Five Albums That Changed Your Life - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Five Albums That Changed Your Life
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next