Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard's decline

Go down 
+14
MetalFRO
metalinmyveins
Temple of Blood
manny
A Handful of Wayne
thejokeriv
Smindas
MetalGuy71
mc666
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
ultmetal
fingers
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:01 am

Quote :
Cliff was the least Metal guy in the band...he was all about Skynyrd and Pink Floyd and 70s bands...

But, whatever...we're talking about Classic Pop Rockers DEF LEPPARD here...

True but he knew how to write those killer classical influenced passages that Metallica forgot after his demise. And you would be surprised how many of metals elite don't even listen to the style they perform on the free time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:02 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Right, but Metal wasn't the only crowd they were exposed to...I think a lot of that was a result of how they were labeled as opposed to who they were targeting...they were taking what they could get early on...then when Pyromania made them millionaires, they spoke their mind a bit more...

True. That Circus article I mentioned a few posts back was conducted while they were out on tour opening for Billy Squier. He wasn't metal by a long shot. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:02 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Don't remember hearing that but some primitive metalheads considered them metal in the 70's.

Compared to most of what was out there in the 70s, AC/DC were pretty damn metal for the time.

...but I don't wanna start the "what band is/was or isn't/wasn't metal" Chinese fire drill all over again....

I WILL NOT BOW DOWN!!! angry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:03 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Right, but Metal wasn't the only crowd they were exposed to...I think a lot of that was a result of how they were labeled as opposed to who they were targeting...they were taking what they could get early on...then when Pyromania made them millionaires, they spoke their mind a bit more...

True. That Circus article I mentioned a few posts back was conducted while they were out on tour opening for Billy Squier. He wasn't metal by a long shot. Laughing

Yup...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:04 am

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
Cliff was the least Metal guy in the band...he was all about Skynyrd and Pink Floyd and 70s bands...

But, whatever...we're talking about Classic Pop Rockers DEF LEPPARD here...

True but he knew how to write those killer classical influenced passages that Metallica forgot after his demise. And you would be surprised how many of metals elite don't even listen to the style they perform on the free time.

Oh, I know that...they get enough of thier band's style by playing it (except for Ult...he's a maniac! 🤘 )
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:06 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Don't remember hearing that but some primitive metalheads considered them metal in the 70's.

Compared to most of what was out there in the 70s, AC/DC were pretty damn metal for the time.

...but I don't wanna start the "what band is/was or isn't/wasn't metal" Chinese fire drill all over again....

I WILL NOT BOW DOWN!!! angry

Me either! I respect ult's opinions but i have to draw the line sometimes. Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 505193
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:13 am

OTTN was produced by Tom Allom, a producer with a history of producing metal albums, so that album definitely has a metallic feel to it, IMO.

However, I think it was a conscious effort either by the band or the label to get Mutt Lange for the next 3 releases because the band was to go in a "poppier" direction. Whether this was the band's intention from jump street is unknown by me because there are still very metallic elements on HND, but from the time "Bringin On The Heartbreak" was recorded, the band were more "Duran Duran than Black Sabbath" as Phil Collen has been quoted as saying. So in my opinion, OTTN was a metal record. HND and Pyromania were hard rock albums. Hysteria was a pop album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 am

Quote :
OTTN was a metal record

Even then, the chorus to "Hello America" was very poppy...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :
OTTN was a metal record

Even then, the chorus to "Hello America" was very poppy...

Agreed 100%. I had that in my mind when I was writing my statement. "Hello America" def. shows a T-Rex influence, and T-Rex sure ain't metal. But the kind of "epic" (probably a bad word to use) feel of tracks like Overture and Walls... are undeniably metallic.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 10:54 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I say they're loud rock 'n roll. Smile

Yeah, like Deep Purple, Ted Nugent, and Thin Lizzy. Loud Rock N Roll. Right, ult? :eyesore:

Indeed. Heavy Metal didn't exist until the 1980s with bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica and Slayer. Before that it was all just Loud Rock and Roll. All those confused magazines and fans from the 70's don't have a clue. Morons!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:27 am

Quote :
the band was to go in a "poppier" direction

I think you meant "poopier" here. Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 337331

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:30 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
the band was to go in a "poppier" direction

I think you meant "poopier" here. Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 337331

lol! So true!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 am

Is it sacrilege that my favourite Def Leppard album is Hysteria? I also enjoy a fair amount of their post-Hysteria stuff, as ridiculously cheesy and poppy as it is. Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (which, admittedly, is the worst album name ever) has some really great cuts on it.

As an aside, I saw Def Leppard live for the first time on Sunday. At Donington's Download festival, right at the front of the crowd, after having been in the same position for ZZ Top and Whitesnake. Best day ever!

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Smindas wrote:
Is it sacrilege that my favourite Def Leppard album is Hysteria? I also enjoy a fair amount of their post-Hysteria stuff, as ridiculously cheesy and poppy as it is. Songs From The Sparkle Lounge (which, admittedly, is the worst album name ever) has some really great cuts on it.

As an aside, I saw Def Leppard live for the first time on Sunday. At Donington's Download festival, right at the front of the crowd, after having been in the same position for ZZ Top and Whitesnake. Best day ever!

Nothing at all with liking Hysteria. Listen to what you like, ignore the rest! 🤘

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:21 pm

Smindas wrote:

Nothing wrong with that all!!!!!! That is my favorite Def Lep album too!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:24 pm

Get rid of Pour Some Sugar and it's a good pop metal album. Play Run Riot really loud while driving and try to not speed.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 12:43 pm

I didn't say metal didn't exist in the 70's... I know Sabbath invented metal. I just think certain bands blur the line between metal and hard rock like AC/DC. The band themselves do not call themselves metal, they say they're rock. Take it up with them! Some people get a little nutty on this subject...

insane
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 1:53 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I didn't say metal didn't exist in the 70's... I know Sabbath invented metal. I just think certain bands blur the line between metal and hard rock like AC/DC. The band themselves do not call themselves metal, they say they're rock. Take it up with them! Some people get a little nutty on this subject...

insane

The sarcasm wasn't really directed at you. We've had this discussion before and it was directed at the argument I got into last time with someone claiming that heavy metal didn't exist until the 80's. I'll bet that old thread still exists around here somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it. It's pretty amusing.

In 1978 I was listening to hard rock and heavy metal. My favorite bands at the time, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Queen and UFO. Back then the terms were pretty much interchangeable. Hard rock was heavy metal, heavy metal was hard rock. It wasn't until the late 80s/early 90's that people started making this distinction between the two. UFO aren't "heavy metal" they are just "hard rock".

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:01 pm

I always keep hearing people say how the new album is good and its the best they have done in a while but why is it that I just dont hear that? This used to be my favorite band of all time but after Adrenalize it just kept going down and down. I liked X even though it was one of the better albums they had done in a while but still nothing like the leppard we all want back again but will never hear. Oh well i'll just listen to the other hundreds of bands that I like.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:01 pm

Don't forget that Judas Priest aren't heavy metal, they're hard rock. And the Beatles were the first punk rock band. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Don't forget that Judas Priest aren't heavy metal, they're hard rock. And the Beatles were the first punk rock band. Laughing very hard

Did someone actually post on HoM that the Beatles were the first punk rock band? affraid
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:06 pm

manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Did someone actually post on HoM that the Beatles were the first punk rock band? affraid

I believe that was an e-mail to Ult's site that he posted in his "Hall of Shame"

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:07 pm

I do remember reading that on his site and God I donot know how ULT has the patience to read thru alot of those emails.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:08 pm

I can see why THE BEATLES would get that...is you listen to "Helter Skelter", "Revolution #9" and large chunks of The Beatles (white album), it's loud, abraisive and noisy...like proto-Punk...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 2:16 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I can see why THE BEATLES would get that...is you listen to "Helter Skelter", "Revolution #9" and large chunks of The Beatles (white album), it's loud, abraisive and noisy...like proto-Punk...

No this cat didn't suggest The Beatles were an influence to punk, he said "The Beatles was just a happy happy joy joy punk rock band..."

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard's decline   Def Leppard's decline - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard's decline
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next