Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Led Zeppelin Discography

Go down 
+22
Svengo
Troublezone
sam
SAHB Healer
scottmitchell74
journeyman
kmorg
sheets
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
rattpoison
DeathCult
EvyMetal
candlemass
James B.
stepcousin
Lari
Schbopo
iamrockerfun
manny
XYZ
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Led Zeppelin Discography Empty
PostSubject: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Figured I might as well start one if no one else would.

Led Zeppelin - s/t
Led Zeppelin Discography Led_zeppelin_i

This is one of the greatest early metal debuts ever. It ranks right up there with Black Sabbath's self-titled effort and Jeff Beck's debut, Truth. This album mates the late 60's rock with heavy blues riffs and attitude creating on of the heaviest records to come out of the sixties. Songs like "Good Times, Bad Times", "Communication Breakdown", and "Dazed and Confused" had the youth in a frenzy and parents wishing they would turn that noise off. Led Zeppelin also showed off the bands' blues sensibility with numbers such as "You Shook Me", "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "How Many More Times."

The band also shows off that they are very talented musicians. Jimmy Page lays down some great riffs and solos, Bonzo goes crazy at times (but never overdoes it), Jones keeps the songs grounded with a nice solid base (no pun intended), and Plant soars above it all with on of the greatest voices in rock/metal.

It is truly one of the greatest metal albums ever.

My Rating:

9/10

Last edited by xyz on Thu May 14, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added my rating.)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:46 pm

I 100% agree with xyz, their debut album is spectular from beginning to end. Critics hated but the fans loved it and along with Black Sabbath and Deep Purple would help birth the genre known as heavy metal.

Jimmy Page also was an excellent producer, using the art of mic placing to make John Bonham sound even heavier, a true powerhouse of a drummer.

Most of these songs were covers or based on blues numbers with the band throwing in their own twist and turns. 'Dazed and Confused' had previously been Jimmy Page's live showcase piece during his Yardbirds days. In the 80's bands would use this album along with the rest of the Zep discography as a blueprint their own soung and image.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 1:10 pm

led zepp no.1 to no.4 best albums ever released. but especially no.1 is unbelieveable listenable blues.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Great album! I like the mix of heavy and fast stuff with the slow, bluesy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Led Zep is one of my favourites, but oddly enough I don't really like the debut that much when compared to the later albums. I mean, the songs are good, but somehow they ain't as heavy or hard just yet. It's not until II the band really starts being awesome. They are not that focused just yet. Half the time Led Zep I sounds like a band practise. Still you cannot deny the classic tracks - though a lot of them not real Jimmy Page originals (more like public domain songs he decided to perform with a heavier band). It's a good album, I guess.

Favourites: Communication Breakdown, Dazed and Confused

iamrockerfun wrote:
led zepp no.1 to no.4 best albums ever released. but especially no.1 is unbelieveable listenable blues.
I rank Physical Graffiti higher than the first four (apart from maybe II).
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Wow, what a phenominal album! This album reminds me of when I was 8 years old back in '75 playing my sister's rock albums. I had no idea how big Zeppelin was but I knew this album was special. As I got older I would realize just how huge this band was as I heard their music everywhere I went.
This album was one a small handful of albums that was a bridge between the blues of the 60's and hard rock/heavy metal of the future. I just wish I'd had been around when this first came out. How cool would that have been?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39465

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 7:09 pm

This is indeed a great album/debut. Some really good tracks on here. My faves are Good Times Bad Times,Dazed And Confused,Communication Breakdown,and How Many More Times.My least faves are the Willie Dixon's tunes. I used to work with a guy older than me (by about 15 years) didn't like Zeppelin and called them rip-off artists because of the cover tunes (on a side note my best friend who's also into metal can't stand Zeppelin and thought Jimmy Page was a mediocre guitarist Laughing )
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:16 pm

For those folks who say Bonham is over-rated, try playing
"good times, bad times" with a single late 60's era bass drum pedal.

Page's guitar tone is well, monstorous 🤘
Soft, medium, hard... the lp has it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:26 pm

As perfect of a debut album as you can have. The first time I heard that organ intro to "Your Time Is Gonna Come" I was hooked...still one of my favorite Zeppelin tunes. Pretty much every song is a classic (whether borrowed from Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker or whoever). Zeppelin turned the blues into bludgeon.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Rip off artists? He's an idiot! The Doors, The Stones, Cream and many other early hard rock bands covered old blues tunes. That was their inspiration that would be the foundation of all HR/HM!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 12:11 am

Yep and the blues guys often took street songs and made them their own so it just sort of came around.
In 5th grade all the kids in the neighborhood were into diso except this one kid who, now as I look back, was kind of a strange dude but he listened to rock and I first hear this album through him. Some pretty epic stuff.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 1:41 am

I like this one a lot. One the first albums I listened to that would open the gates to many more bands.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 8:57 am

I figured a song by song overview could either be boring, interesting or just a way to take up the time sitting in front of the computer.

Led Zeppelin s/t

"good times bad times"

a bit of crunchy guitar at the begining, with Bonham showing some "amazing" footwork after the second verse and repeating before going back to what he played on the first. Bonham does some syncopated fills in the next verses before the solo to change the dynamic of the song without messing with the groove . The break with the lil bass line between verses is a nice touch, especially when the arrangement comes back around and there is nothing there untill the guitar solo starts.
using the chorus as a bridge is interesting before going back to the lil bass fill and some more tasty guitar work from Page. The song ends with Plant doing a lil run of one liners with Page and Bonham trading off lil things. a fun lil song that gives the listener a glimpse of what the record has in store.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 9:17 am

"babe I'm gonna leave you"

the acoustic guitar intro has a great melody that allows Plant to come in and add another flavor to it. The first lil build has a feel of somebody running toward something. The lil acoustic lead fill in the next set of verses yet adds another flavor to the melody. The second build up has the running away from something vibe, especially accented with the pause and the music taking on "the something is catching up".... Seems a solo would of made the dynamic powerful, but they go back into the chorus. The next build up has them running back to something, the acoustic guitar layers of the original chord progression and lil lead fills add to Plant stating "never gonna leave" . Page and Plant trade off adding lil things to the flow off the song.... The last build up plainly says they are splitting but not running to or away from anything. Often I wonder if Plant is singing this to two seperate women ? The acoustic outro/ending goes back to a variation on the orignal melody.
The last lil notes of the song have a lil humorous vibe. Plant again reveals more of what he can do in the vocal department.
A beautiful melody, and interesting arrangement.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:26 am

One of the best debut albums ever, and one of my personal favorite Zeppelin albums. Every song is just excellent, and the multilayered sound really packs a punch.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 5:11 pm

NEXT!!!!

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin Discography Led-zeppelin-II

There are many albums that fall into the category of the "sophomore slump". This isn't one of them. Led Zeppelin II is one of the greatest sophomore efforts ever. The songs moved away from a lot of the blues influence that was present on their prior album and went for a more of a heavier rock sound. Page again writes some monster guitar riffs (a la "Whole Lotta Love", "Heartbreaker"). His solos were pushed to the next level. His "Heartbreaker" solo is recognized as one of his best (it also inspired a young Eddie Van Halen to change guitar playing). Bonzo lets loose on "Moby Dick," an attempt to best Ginger Baker's "Toad." "The Lemon Song" cements John Paul Jones as one of the great bass players in rock, and Plant again proves his greatness.

My Rating:

9.5/10

(I didn't do a rating for Led Zeppelin, so I'll edit my previous post.)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 6:00 pm

Another excellent album, and was one of the first albums to be slapped with the new label "Heavy Metal" thanks to those hippies at rolling Stone, they did not mean this as a term of endearment but more as a slam, the morons.

Excellent album and also released in 1969, and contains classic riff monsters, and Robert Plant's own take on J.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings mythology with the song 'Ramble On' . Also contians one of Led Zeppelin's greatest songs "What it is and What Should Never Be'
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 6:43 pm

My favorite Led Zeppelin album! Every song is awesome.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 9:50 pm

Led Zeppelin II is their best, not a bad song on it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 10:07 pm

My favourite!

Led Zep II is a monster. Bam-bam-bam awesome songs one after another! It's heavier, harder, louder and catchier than the debut. What Is And What Should Never Be is awesome. Whole Lotta Love is overplayed, but still kicks all kinds of ass. Plant does an insane performance on vocals, sometimes bordering on ridiculous. Bonham's drumming quite possibly makes this the first real heavy metal album ever.

Favourites: Heartbreaker, Ramble On
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Of course you guys know I'll go slightly against the grain on this one (it's part of my charm).

Led Zeppelin II is indeed a great album, not just the songs themselves but the sequencing of the record is perfect. Bands would be copying the "heavy-mellow-heavy-mellow" track layout throughout the 70's. By the time Zep II came out "album rock" was a new viable genre and these guys set the pace for the next 5 years or so.

Anyway, quite a few favorites here, particularly some of the mellower songs like "Thank You" and "What Is And What Should Never Be". I'm such a huge fan of the debut album...and we'll be talking about one of my favorite Zep records next...so Zep II isn't quite at the top of my list.

It's worth mentioning that this album was recorded at various studios while they were on tour, leaving not much time for extensive overdubs, so it's mostly live in the studio.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 12:19 am

Lari wrote:
Whole Lotta Love is overplayed, but still kicks all kinds of ass. Plant does an insane performance on vocals, sometimes bordering on ridiculous.

They are crazy, although old Planty was doing his best Marriott impersonation.........

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 7:30 am

Like 'em both a lot!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 9:14 am

yea as was said, every song is platinum memorabilia.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 10:08 am

I remember hanging out at my buddies house when I was in high school and he'd play LZ II over and over and over again on his turntable. When the bass klicked in on 'Whole Lotta Love', the speakers would vibrate so much, anything sitting on top would slowly creep off and fall to the floor. And his mom would yell down to us, "Bobby, turn that down!! You want to wake the neighbors?!?"

I'm not positive, but II was probably my introduction into Led Zeppelin. Sure, I knew the "hits", but never heard an entire album. It was either this one or LZ IV (Zoso).

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin Discography   Led Zeppelin Discography Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Led Zeppelin Discography
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next