Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

LIFE, SEX & DEATH

Go down 
+9
A Handful of Wayne
sam
tohostudios
TrogDawn
manny
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
7thSaviour
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:32 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
Somebody show me where the band admits it was all just a gimmick, please. My understanding was that Stanley suffered a psychotic break after his father died...
Just doing the standard googling, there is very little info on Stanley, other than his real name is Chris Stann. Most people tend to agree that it was a gimmick of sorts, but there is no information that it is true, nor did I find anything that backs up your claim Trog. I suppose it's possible, but I'm coming up with nothing to suppport either theory. Where did you hear that about him having a breakdown?
7thSaviour wrote:
That may also be part of the equation, for all I know.
7thSaviour wrote:
Interesting indeed. He had to get rich somehow. Was he left a large sum of cash by his presumably wealthy father? Will we ever discover the truth?
If I remember correctly, I got that from an interview with the band back in 1990-ish in Kerrrang! magazine. His lyrical content really seems to back up the claim of some kind of mental illness, although I admit I was probably looking for it based on the above info.

His reported mental health status is what got me really interested in the band after I heard their song "Telephone Call" from The Silent Majority. If it was a gimmick, he played it off VERY well...but almost TOO well for it to be fake, IMO. Maybe his status was their "gimmick" but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't really suffering mentally at that time and living on the street because of a temporary psychosis.

Or maybe I just don't want to believe that they would've faked something like that because it's an issue that's near and dear to my heart and I always thought it was incredible that the band stood by him when he was going through that.

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Ive always wanted to get a hold of this cd but I either cant ever find it or someone wants to sell it for some rediculous price. If anyone finds a copy let me know!

I remember Tank being played on Headbangers ball all the time when they came out. I thought they were so odd but the music was cool. I was just searching stuff up on you tube after TZ put up that video of Stanley before LSD and I found a bunch of other stuff that was interesting. One day i'll get to hear this cd.
"Tank" is an AWESOME tune, I've always loved that one! It's one of those PUMP YOU UP songs! 🤘

I might have a second copy of the disc somewhere, because I usually grab it when I find it used. If I still have it, it's yours man. I may have given it to ult at some point too though, I'm not sure. I can also burn you a copy too if you like, lemme know. LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 309780

Last edited by TrogDawn on Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:39 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
If I remember correctly, I got that from an interview with the band back in 1990-ish in Kerrrang! magazine. His lyrical content really seems to back up the claim of some kind of mental illness, although I admit I was probably looking for it based on the above info.

His reported mental health status is what got me really interested in the band after I heard their song "Telephone Call" from The Silent Majority. If it was a gimmick, he played it off VERY well...but almost TOO well for it to be fake, IMO. Maybe his status was their "gimmick" but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't really suffering mentally at that time and living on the street because of a temporary psychosis.

Or maybe I just don't want to believe that they would've faked something like that because it's an issue that's near and dear to my heart.

Ive always wanted to get a hold of this cd but I either cant ever find it or someone wants to sell it for some rediculous price. If anyone finds a copy let me know!

I remember Tank being played on Headbangers ball all the time when they came out. I thought they were so odd but the music was cool. I was just searching stuff up on you tube after TZ put up that video of Stanley before LSD and I found a bunch of other stuff that was interesting. One day i'll get to hear this cd.
"Tank" is an AWESOME tune, I've always loved that one! It's one of those PUMP YOU UP songs! 🤘

I might have a second copy of the disc somewhere, because I usually grab it when I find it used. If I still have it, it's yours man. I may have given it to ult at some point too though, I'm not sure. I can also burn you a copy too if you like, lemme know. LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 309780

Eh, that could very well be. I couldn't find anything to back that up, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe I need to google harder. I'm just afraid I'll go blind. Cool

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:41 pm

That being said i think it would be funnier if it was real.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:43 pm

If it's not real, then the band means nothing to me because that's the whole premise I based my interest on from the start. Sure the songs are cool on their own, but nowhere near as cool to me if Stanley was just a fake. I dunno, it being fake just doesn't ring true to me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:48 pm

The whole premise of a homeless guy fronting the band is hilarious. His strange voice and stage moves are great. Comedy and real hard rock together.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 2:54 pm

True and I agree with that much of it knowing nothing else. Very Happy

But the mental illness behind what drove the guy to be homeless and yet still be able to create and perform because his bandmates stood by him isn't funny at all to me...it's incredibly endearing and worthy of my attention. Sad
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Troublezone wrote:
The whole premise of a homeless guy fronting the band is hilarious. His strange voice and stage moves are great. Comedy and real hard rock together.
That's always what I thought, too!

Last edited by 7thSaviour on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 4:38 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Here is Stanley before the homeless gimmick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UKekmRM1g&feature=related

That song rules! 🤘 Funnily enough, right at the end when they're name-checking cities, they mention Toronto.

I assume it was a demo only?
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28455

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 04, 2009 10:15 pm

manny wrote:
I saw them live in the early 90's in a theatre that is now closed, very entertaining live but the sole CD I ever heard was nowhere near as good as their live performance.

After the performance I met the vocalist and his very HOT girlfriend, and I could not believe this guy had such a hot girlfriend, because the dude smelled like urine, cheap beer, and stale cigarettes.

Yeah, but he was a musician in a band that only released one album, although it was somewhat successful, from what I've read. I doubt he'd have had any hot chicks if he worked at a post office.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Required Fields wrote:
manny wrote:
I saw them live in the early 90's in a theatre that is now closed, very entertaining live but the sole CD I ever heard was nowhere near as good as their live performance.

After the performance I met the vocalist and his very HOT girlfriend, and I could not believe this guy had such a hot girlfriend, because the dude smelled like urine, cheap beer, and stale cigarettes.

Yeah, but he was a musician in a band that only released one album, although it was somewhat successful, from what I've read. I doubt he'd have had any hot chicks if he worked at a post office.
Agreed! LOVE your avatar, BTW!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Required Fields wrote:
manny wrote:

whoa whoa whoa...... i work at the post office and my gf is pretty hot, so what are you saying? lol!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 7:23 am

Quote :
whoa whoa whoa...... i work at the post office and my gf is pretty hot, so what are you saying

Do you deliver the goods? Laughing
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 8:54 am

When I met the guy he didnot seem to have mental issues just an aversion to bathing.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 1:45 pm

manny wrote:
When I met the guy he didnot seem to have mental issues just an aversion to bathing.
I still think it's cool as heck that you got to meet Stanley! LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
whoa whoa whoa...... i work at the post office and my gf is pretty hot, so what are you saying

Do you deliver the goods? Laughing

Yea and you better watch out and hold on tight Were heading your way like dynamite.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18960

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:15 pm

I do remember them from back in the day. Thought they where strange.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 12:28 am

Everything else aside, I thought it was a really entertaining album. I like it a lot. However I get their name confused with the band Sex Love and Money, who had an EP around the same time that (if you could stomach post-grunge) was even better. I don't get the bands confused, because they both had excellent and distinct styles. But I do get their names confused.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 08, 2009 7:44 am

Leatherface wrote:
I do remember them from back in the day. Thought they where strange.
So did Kik Tracee. just kidding
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Finally got this album last week. Its pretty good and also a little odd. I was expecting something a little different. I don't know what though but I do like it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 2:27 pm

Finally got this album last week. Its pretty good and also a little odd. I was expecting something a little different. I don't know what though but I do like it.
It kicks ass, doesn't it?! LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 11840
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Yea its ok. It didnt blow my mind or anything but I do like it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: LIFE, SEX & DEATH   LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Yea its ok. It didnt blow my mind or anything but I do like it.
I LOVE IT! Drugs rule! LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 201269 LIFE, SEX & DEATH - Page 3 84826
Back to top Go down

LIFE, SEX & DEATH
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3