Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What book are you currently reading?

Go down 
+95
mikeinfla
brokentulsa
ShadowAngel
Naurbereth
Gryphon-kl
Darkly
Sole Survivor
CRIMSONMASK
Wurthless
martinsane
SpectreFate
bassman
Witchfinder
Lari
shamgar75
mlotek
Motorsud
metalken
rawr!
Shawn Of Fire
TheDoctor'sScarf
stevegarveyfan
Thrasher73
FlyingV
Wargod
Joe
Getizzyback
Starman
Orion Crystal Ice
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
ZetaReticuli
chewie
jstate
T-Roy
iamrockerfun
Ultimate.Nightmare
metalhead777
DallasBlack
powermacho
mr.electric39
ultmetal
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
Ford.Prefect
crazzycat
ryanmetalman
AchrisK
Rogue Angel
SideShowDisaSter
Louder
Olafsto
Eyesore
Shiney
Neuropete
GrandNational
QuothTheRaven
spiritoradio
dirtracin1
exact33
MoonChild
metalheaded
Sutekh
TheGooch
XYZ
Addy
Dave the Boss
the sentinel
thejokeriv
holydiver97595
SlaytanicPOWER
sheets
James B.
scottmitchell74
Zdan
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
sam
RevBilly6207
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
Mglaffas81
EvyMetal
nevermore
Metal Misfit
kmorg
akeldama
rattpoison
SAHB Healer
Stender
Leatherface
manny
Schbopo
Troublezone
99 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:51 pm

I havent read a book in over 10 years. Reading always bored me to the point where I lit the book on fire.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 12:52 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
I havent read a book in over 10 years. Reading always bored me to the point where I lit the book on fire.

That explains your insightful postings Smile
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:13 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

I was like that too... when i was a kid.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:14 pm

Critical Thinking and Writing on Fiction - Glynis T. Hoffman

It's a required text for my Critical Thinking English class written by one of the professors at OCC (Orange Coast College). However, it's a great collection of short stories from authors like O'Conner, Faulkner, Melville, Saunders, etc.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:18 pm

EvyMetal wrote:

It's a required text for my Critical Thinking English class written by one of the professors at OCC (Orange Coast College). However, it's a great collection of short stories from authors like O'Conner, Faulkner, Melville, Saunders, etc.

I like Faulkner, O' Connor but Melville not so much, read 'Moby Dick' and I didnot like it.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Before I wrote that I knew someone would say that. It probably has been longer but the further back I can remember is my last years of school in 9th grade.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:13 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Before I wrote that I knew someone would say that. It probably has been longer but the further back I can remember is my last years of school in 9th grade.

I could not imagine not reading a book, I am always reading a book, also newspaper, magazines, and even comic books/graphic novels, I love reading and the power of the written word, I just could not imagine not reading.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Going to start "The stars my destination" by Albert Bester soon, I have heard its the single greatest SF book of all time and also the precursor to the entire cyberpunk subgenre...written in 1959.

The plot is like Count of monte cristo except in the future, this guy is stranded on a destroyed starliner and a cruiser comes by but dosnt pick him up so he vows to kill everyone on the ship the Vorga...that all happens in ch. 1.

The title comes from the opening dialogue...

Gully Foyle is my name
Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
Deaths my destination

Over the course of the book the last line changes to The stars my destination.

Read this book if you get the chance!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I could not imagine not reading a book, I am always reading a book, also newspaper, magazines, and even comic books/graphic novels, I love reading and the power of the written word, I just could not imagine not reading.

I read a lot online. Magazines get a lotr of attention from me as well.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 5:56 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I read a lot online. Magazines get a lotr of attention from me as well.

Psssh...who you kidding metalrob?....not much reading happens in playboy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Laughing very hard playboy days are over. I just go out now and pick them up and see them in person. lol!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:06 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Laughing very hard playboy days are over. I just go out now and pick them up and see them in person. lol!

Yeah no kidding!....I dont know how you pull it off man!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 6:15 pm

It took a lot of practice and trust me more say no then yes. You just have to start at a friendship then read the vibe they give off after a few days. Those days are over as I think i found my playmate. Very Happy

I used to love reading playboy though, especially their bio.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 7:19 pm

A little known secret is that Playmates like guys who hang out on metal message boards 8 hours a day. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 7:41 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
A little known secret is that Playmates like guys who hang out on metal message boards 8 hours a day. Smile

that is the secret right there
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 8:17 am

"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

I'm sure I will get flamed for this post but I found it an extremely compelling read. Even believers should read it to see how one might perfectly structure a rational argument about religion and faith.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 4:43 pm

manny wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

I like Faulkner, O' Connor but Melville not so much, read 'Moby Dick' and I didnot like it.

I don't know what you're talking about. Moby Dick is one of my favorite reads. I guess I'm just big on description. And you know Melville spends at least 3 pages just talking about Queequeg.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 7:26 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

my brother is the same way, he hate it with a passion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
manny wrote:
EvyMetal wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about. Moby Dick is one of my favorite reads. I guess I'm just big on description. And you know Melville spends at least 3 pages just talking about Queequeg.

I am glad you liked it and Melville certainly didnot rush to tell a story, talented writer but was not cup of tea but I have to admire the fact that 'Moby Dick' is one of your favorites.
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:03 pm

If someone does not like Melville on the value of Moby Dick I always guide that person to read Melville's semi-gothic tale "Benito Cereno". That one shows Melville a very capable and cerebral writer - playing on the convention to the fullest while not embracing it in totality - resulting in a very ominous and atmospheric tale. I truly reccomend that story.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Zdan wrote:
If someone does not like Melville on the value of Moby Dick I always guide that person to read Melville's semi-gothic tale "Benito Cereno". That one shows Melville a very capable and cerebral writer - playing on the convention to the fullest while not embracing it in totality - resulting in a very ominous and atmospheric tale. I truly reccomend that story.

I will give a shot in the future and thanks for the recommendation, as far as 'Moby Dick' maybe I just was not prepared to take in that book at this point in time and in future who knows, I may think it is brillant book after all, certainly I cannot deny that it is a work of art.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 am

Brisingr
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2009 12:24 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Brisingr

That's not even a word, much less a book! Smile

I hope you are limiting your reading as much as you are your CD buying, just to be fair.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 5:01 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:
Brisingr

That's not even a word, much less a book! Smile

I hope you are limiting your reading as much as you are your CD buying, just to be fair.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 5:19 pm

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What book are you currently reading?   What book are you currently reading? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What book are you currently reading?
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next