Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it

Go down 
+5
corplhicks
brokentulsa
Fat Freddy
candlemass
Chrome Locust
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrome Locust
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Empty
PostSubject: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Some very funny anecdotes. I wouldn't waste money buying it though unless you're a serious Sabbath collector. I got it from the library and quite enjoyed it; but it really is just a bunch of cobbled together anecdotes, that deals with, but skips over very rapidly Sabbath's early years, and uses anecdotes to fill in the cracks.

Worth a read, but again, either from a second hand book store or the library. Its better than Ozzy's one though. My first book review (woo) Yes, I'll keep my day job.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 9:25 pm

"Never Say Die" was a great book on the post Ozzy era, read it several times!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:25 pm

Iommi's book was good but for an insanely in-depth Sabbath history, check out "Doom Let Loose" by Martin Popoff.

Not only is it a great read, but it's lavishly illustrated with tons of live shots, vintage gig posters, weird foreign singles, and other cool stuff to geek out on.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:36 am

Quote :
"Never Say Die" was a great book on the post Ozzy era, read it several times!

cool..I will look for this. Post era Ozzy is my favorite Sabbath era. I did read Tonys Book and thought it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Iommi's book was good but for an insanely in-depth Sabbath history, check out "Doom Let Loose" by Martin Popoff.

Not only is it a great read, but it's lavishly illustrated with tons of live shots, vintage gig posters, weird foreign singles, and other cool stuff to geek out on.

Iron Man was a tough read for me, all due respect to the author. I'm not a fan of rock/metal autobiographies; for whatever reason rockers never make for very good writers and come off a bit tired, like they're really trying hard to get the damn book finished lol (I suppose Zakk Wylde is an exception with his hyperbolic style). But bios such as Popoff's work is brilliant, especially the way he illustrates his work. It's eye candy and informative with a keen sense of how to keep a reader involved. My favorite was his book on Dio.

A good idea is to still read the autobiographies parallel to any third-person account to avoid any issues related to hearsay.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:34 am

I have not read his bio yet, surprisingly since I am a huge Black Sabbath fan.

I am with FF, that Marin Popoff book is excellent, I have that Sabbath book, along with his bio's on Rainbow, Dio and a couple of non bio books by the man
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:46 am

Quote :
check out "Doom Let Loose" by Martin Popoff.

Without question my favorite music book. Has everything.

The little bit I've read in the bookstore of Iron Man didn't make me want to buy it. As Chrome said, it just seemed too ancedotal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 11:49 am

I enjoyed it and devoured it in a few days.

Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:26 pm

I've just finished reading this book myself. Bought it last year but only just got round to it.

To be honest I was a little disappointed. The first 30ish pages were ok but after that it just turned into a cycle of wrote album, went on tour, got drunk, wrote another album, got drunk went on tour again......oh and set fire to bill ward. Then wrote another album, got drunk again and did another tour, rinse and repeat till the end of the book.

It felt like Tony was trying to be the nice guy and not offend anyone. I was hoping for some deeper insight into the bands relationship with each other and why it went wrong with Ozzy towards the end. I wanted more info about the tony Martin years. Just felt like a load of cobbled together magazine interviews with no personal touch at all.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:31 am

Wayne wrote:
I've just finished reading this book myself. Bought it last year but only just got round to it.

To be honest I was a little disappointed. The first 30ish pages were ok but after that it just turned into a cycle of wrote album, went on tour, got drunk, wrote another album, got drunk went on tour again......oh and set fire to bill ward. Then wrote another album, got drunk again and did another tour, rinse and repeat till the end of the book.

It felt like Tony was trying to be the nice guy and not offend anyone. I was hoping for some deeper insight into the bands relationship with each other and why it went wrong with Ozzy towards the end. I wanted more info about the tony Martin years. Just felt like a load of cobbled together magazine interviews with no personal touch at all.

This. It just didn't make it engaging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it   'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'IRON MAN' Tony Iomi's Book - just finished reading it
Page 1 of 1