Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?

Go down 
+21
DeathCult
HamburgerBoy
nevermore
vanillaviking
tul
Leatherface
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Troublezone
MetalRob331
metalinmyveins
plinioguitar
mc666
Required Fields
MetalH
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Fat Freddy
manny
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 2:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I liked KILLING KIND a lot ... the band has said they're not crazy about it in interviews as it was a new lineup at the time (guitarists Sebastian Marino and Joe Comeau had just joined) and Blitz has said they hadn't quite "gelled" yet. There is some real good stuff on that album though, especially the instrumental track "Feeding Frenzy" (DD Verni is ON FIRE on that track!)

However, BLOODLETTING sounds a bit too "all over the place" for me. Again, lineup turmoil had taken place before they did that record (Marino and Comeau were out so new boy Dave Lynsk performed all the guitars on that album, both rhythm and lead) so it sounds a bit choppy at times. The live versions of the BLOODLETTING tracks on the WRECKING EVERYTHING live CD/DVD sound better than the album versions.

Thank you for the reviews. Based on that, I think I will look to get "Killing Kind" first. I'll be interested to hear the trasition from W.F.O. which I really like (w/the exception of the production, which is bad), and that of "F.T.U.A.B." (which is post Horrorscope my fav).
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:10 pm

Newer Overkill all the way. From I Hear Black to Immortalis is Overkill's best years imo. My favorite cd from them is From The Underground and Below and that is up there high on my list of best cds ever. Long Time Dyin', It Lives, Rip n Tear, I'm Alright, all killer.

1. FTUAB
2. Necroshine
3. I hear Black
4. Relix
5. Immortalis
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:44 pm

old
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 5:46 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I have to disagree. I think Overkill is one of the very few, if not the only big thrash band from the 80's that have continued to either get better or maintain a standard of excellence without having a break up at some point. Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, even Slayer have all become progressively worse over the years.

I would second this opinion, also one of the successful metal bands of 90's, Pantera also owe a great deal of debt to Overkill for pioneering the groove oriented riffs that later day Overkill began incorporating. A criminally overlooked band who should be included along with other big 4.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:42 pm

I dont really have a preference when it comes to them.I dont think they have any bad albums some I just prefer over the other.My favorite would be Under The Influence but then again Horrorscope,Killbox 13 and RelixIV are favorites as well.It just depends on what day it is.I agree Spec that Testament has been consistent over the years as well.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Don't really know old Overkill well enough to say (I just recently got my first classic album-Under The Influence). The only stuff I'm real familiar with are I Hear Black (my first from them), W.F.O. through Coverkill, and Immortalis. I quite like what I've heard. UTI, was not bad, but I need to listen to it outside of work to get a better idea of what I think of it (couldn't hear it as well as I needed to to get into it).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18937

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:09 pm

I'll have to say old. That period of Overkill is just so special to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: older   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 4:59 am

I prefer old Overkill. I won´t say that the albums they released after Horrorscope sucks but they are missing something.
I saw Overkill three times at that time. They moved from a 1200 place to a 300 place in just three years or so.
Back to top Go down
plinioguitar
Metal novice
Metal novice
plinioguitar

Number of posts : 23

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:22 pm

i´m prefer the new days of them...still....

and...Dave Links is one of my favorite guitar players...
he´s a master of Thrash Metal riffs...

AWESOME 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/plinio1983
plinioguitar
Metal novice
Metal novice
plinioguitar

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 1:23 pm

i´m prefer the new days of them...still....

and...Dave Links is one of my favorite guitar players...
he´s a master of Thrash Metal riffs...

AWESOME 🤘
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 3:42 pm

was taking over..then i grew up & now it's killbox; underground is brilliant too! new all the way!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 4:50 pm

I prefer the older stuff. I think Bobby Gustafson was an integral part to their early sound. But, I don't think their stuff after Horrorscope has sucked at all.
Back to top Go down
HamburgerBoy
Metal novice
Metal novice
HamburgerBoy

Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 11:03 pm

I love the first two and Horrorscope, but not anything else. Old Overkill.
Back to top Go down
plinioguitar
Metal novice
Metal novice
plinioguitar

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 am

...the neweerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stilll
cool
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 am

I prefer Old, just because thats what my ears are more attuned to. But they have made some awesome newer albums which rank among my favorites. Necroshine, FTUAB, Immortalis.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:12 am

Old OVERKILL 1000 times more then newer OVERKILL.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 pm

All I presently own from Overkill is Feel the Fire, The Years of Decay and Immortalis. I used to have I Hear Black as well but somehow lost that one over the years. I like the older style stuff better, but both are good.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 9:13 am

I love everything Overkill has ever done.
Awesome band.
Back to top Go down
Sons-Of-Vengeance
Metal novice
Metal novice
Sons-Of-Vengeance

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 1:05 pm

I've always loved Overkill through the bands entire career but I tend to favor the Gustafson era more than anything. The Years Of Decay is easliy in my top 10 favorite thrash records of all time. To my ears that release is a true master piece and was a gate way in my early years to more bands of that genre.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 9:09 am

I finally got a good listen of Under The Influence and my impression at first was not bad but not great until End Of The Line and the last two songs. End Of The Line is probably the best Overkill song I've heard yet. I still need to get some of the more classic ones but if they're up to par with that song then I would say I am a fan of the older Overkill (but I'm jumping the gun here).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?   Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old Overkill vs. Newer Overkill?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2