Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?

Go down 
+16
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
kmorg
metalken
fishingd
opengraverecords
sam
biddle
candlemass
nevermore
Troublezone
Lurideath
Rex
Glenn Rogers
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 5:05 pm

After 3-4 spins I really like it. I repeat that I just don't get all the negativity. It's good Thrash. I don't have any complaints at all, really. (except I'd love for the vocals to be Ult's...but the guy who did them did fine)
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm

I spun it again today, this time on a better system while I was working out. Production issues aside, sounds like old school bay area thrash to me, and top shelf at that! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:20 am

Played it in Rob's (brontotex) car on the way to band practice last night. Music is indeed old school thrash. Vocals reminded him of Lamb of God, and I can agree with that comparison.

I think many of the production issues could have been fixed with proper mastering. Unfortunately, I don't think Visions was mastered at all.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Sha-Zam! I got a Money Order today! I have finally been paid for the artwork.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Rex wrote:

As they say in Monty Python, "and there was much rejoicing."

(Applause, whistles, cheers)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:58 pm

affraid fainting birthday very happy 🤘 cool Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 56834 santa Happy Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 25679 drunk :glee: happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Rex wrote:

Awesome.Glad to hear it Rex. cheers
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:05 pm

Rex wrote:

Ohhhh, I knew that a couple days ago. I spoke to Doug and he told me he paid you, but I figured you already knew. Very Happy

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Well, I knew a few days ago that it was supposed to be in the mail.......but I had been being told for 2.5 years that I'd be paid time after time.......so until it was actually in my hands, I dare not put any faith in it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:47 pm

Rex wrote:

Outstanding!!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:49 pm

It's about time !!!! Glad to hear that they did the right thing, now go cash that money order right away.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 pm

I really like the vocals, truly brutal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 4:05 pm

Oh for the artwork, what did that run the boyz, 'bout 5 bucks?! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:30 pm

Just took a chance and ordered a copy since it was on sale. I hope i can tolerate the sound quality because other than that the music sounds good.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 7:34 pm

sam wrote:

Are you a fan of Lamb of God style vocals?

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 8:04 pm

candlemass wrote:

angry ....such blasphemy!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Stender wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Candy is probably getting Rex's artwork confused with some found on a Doors album. Razz
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
Stender wrote:
candlemass wrote:

Candy is probably getting Rex's artwork confused with some found on a Doors album. Razz

Hey hey, watch it I am huge Doors fan, anyway must of the Doors " artwork" consisted of a photograph of Jim Morrison.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:50 pm

manny wrote:

Hey hey, watch it I am huge Doors fan, anyway must of the Doors " artwork" consisted of a photograph of Jim Morrison.

Yeah,I know Smile
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 11:36 pm

ultmetal wrote:
sam wrote:

Are you a fan of Lamb of God style vocals?

oh yeah, Lamb of god is a great band. Randy Blythe is an awesome vocalist and lyricist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 6:46 am

Listening for the 3rd time...some quick assessments:

- riffs kick 4ss!!! Great job on the riffs & songwriting...love the solos too...

- vocals are indeed LAMB OF GOD style...almost "core"...

- tones are raw & overall vibe is energetic...nice old school atmosphere...

- the mix is the downfall...uneven, jumbled, inconsistent and muddy...comes off noisy in places...lows too "boomy" and highs too "tinny"...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 8:56 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Listening for the 3rd time...some quick assessments:

- riffs kick 4ss!!! Great job on the riffs & songwriting...love the solos too...

- vocals are indeed LAMB OF GOD style...almost "core"...

- tones are raw & overall vibe is energetic...nice old school atmosphere...

- the mix is the downfall...uneven, jumbled, inconsistent and muddy...comes off noisy in places...lows too "boomy" and highs too "tinny"...

Point 1. Glenn Rogers wrote the lion's share of the riffs.

Point 2. Agree. At times he also reminds me of Steve Rowe, especially when he does some of the more grunt type vocals.

Point 3. Also agree. People will immediately compare this to Vengeance, but I think these guys sound like a young, new band. Very energetic.

Point 4. Yup. Bummer.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 10:29 am

The mix really doesn't bother me, and I'm a bit surprised it bothers some of you, considering you don't have an issue w/the mix on Sabbath's "Born Again" wich was awful!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:20 am

Rawness and volume are no big deal...its when there's inconsistency in levels and EQ from song to song...the drum sound changes, sometimes the snare is louder than others, sometimes the guitars are louder than other times...then when it's so boomy in places that it all runs together...it's very uneven...I think if it was the same all the way through, even if it was like Born Again, it would be tolerable...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:24 am

Maybe our friend detuned could touch up the audio like he did with Death Magnetic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?   Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Once Dead - Visions of Hell CD?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next