Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

All things Metallica - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 pm

Ok well to bring the topic back on a slight curve while maintaining an appropriate segue, Death Magnetic was an enjoyable album that sounds and punches much better on LP, although it's not perfect.

And I'm looking forward to this movie but certainly can wait for the Blu Ray.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 am

I've got plenty to say about the last page of this thread, but in the interests of not wanting a flame war I'll keep it polite. Within the bounds of the forum rules, I'll discuss whatever I like with people who have an interest in that subject. If you are not interested or the subject annoys you, please feel free to not read it.

I have also noticed that Shawn made a very simple comment about the sound quality of the film. The only reason that the discussion went any further was because someone asked him to explain what DR was.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 4:49 am

Blame me lol...I asked what DR is...I'll take full responsibility for the resurrection of it Razz
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 am

I plan on seeing the movie. I really like Metallica and haven't listened to them in years. Just got burned out on them, hope this movie will rekindle that magic.

I like reading all the technical stuff about recording and would like to know more. I usually don't chime in because I'm learning still.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I only read the posts that interest me. I'm sorry but when that topic has come up so many damn times around here lately it just gets annoying. Why not centralize it in its own topic? Talk about it all you want I really don't care but put it where everyone can see it and join in a conversation about that topic. It's been repeated and repeated in so many threads. People that haven't seen it in the other threads ask about it and then it just starts all over again and ends up in every topic.

People flip a shit in here if there's more than 1 thread on a band. This is kind of the same thing. How do I avoid reading this if it's being brought up ALL THE TIME?! I don't want to leave because I like this place and the people. I've learned a lot about music that I never heard of and even about brick walling, DR etc. it should just have its own thread for the people who get it already, and for the people who don't. It's very simple.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 1:22 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Blame me lol...I asked what DR is...I'll take full responsibility for the resurrection of it Razz
You dick lol! just kidding 

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:20 pm

All things Metallica - Page 38 PostalWorker

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
You dick lol! just kidding 
HAHAHA, well like you I kept seeing it so I asked LOL... I guess maybe I shouldn't of hahahah!!!!Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 3:28 pm

S.D. wrote:
All things Metallica - Page 38 PostalWorker

Very cute.... But I don't wear a uniform.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12653

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Wait a minute PRD...ya still have the maids outfit don't you ?

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 11:32 pm

James B. wrote:
Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 6:56 pm

James B. wrote:
No I sent it to you months ago. You said you needed it because you met some new friends at a truck stop. Either that or you wanted to show DB a day in the life of a trucker. I forget.

Metal student
Metal student
cruedevil71

Number of posts : 104

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 12:00 am

I've been to quite a few Metallica shows in my life. Starting with AJfA back in 88'/89' where this whole concept started,really. Most recently in Mexico city in 12',end of July or the beginning of August, can't remember tbh. Great show both times but I think I'll pass on this since its just a movie version of what I've already seen. Also, the promo for this movie is to the point of exhaustion. If I see one more interview of them promoting this with a gusto media blitz, I just might purchase LULU and listen to it to get the taste out of my mouth. Stoptheinsanity! It's as if they fancy themselves the new king of all media and that throne is already taken guys, sorry.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Either that or you wanted to show DB a day in the life of a trucker. I forget.
lol! Laughing very hard 
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 4:36 pm

So the movie bombed internationally. The article I've linked to below has some decent theories, but here's a TL DR:

1. The Marketing Campaign - lack of clarity as to whether it's a concert film or narrative (obviously to us seasoned folk it's both)

2. The Director - While other popular concert films have had household names such as Scorcese or Demme, here we have someone with a short resume that no one knows.

3. Timing - Released as IMAX 3D picture one week before Gravity hit, which already had a lot of buzz.

I'd still like to see it, but one thing I found out that even the band's official Facebook stupidly ruined was that the whole 'what's in the bag' deal was just a McGuffin, like the suitcase in Pulp Fiction. So that makes the narrative a bit less of a draw for me. Not that I was ever expecting much anyway.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/10/14/metallicas-never-failed-box-office/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:06 pm

It will probably sell quite well on DVD & blu-ray to Metallica fans. It seemed like an oddball concept to try and market to a mainstream audience so I'm not all that surprised that it didn't perform well at the box office.

Most of the reviews I read indicated that the concert footage was so well done that it was a disappointment whenever the movie switched to the conceptual sections.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 5:33 pm

S.D. wrote:

Most of the reviews I read indicated that the concert footage was so well done that it was a disappointment whenever the movie switched to the conceptual sections.
That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I've also heard that the narrative portion is underwhelming and uninteresting. It'd be smart to separate the two for home video.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2013 9:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
It will probably sell quite well on DVD & blu-ray to Metallica fans.  It seemed like an oddball concept to try and market to a mainstream audience so I'm not all that surprised that it didn't perform well at the box office.
Bingo - that's the issue. Metallica isn't going to release a concert flick (with story) and have it be a $100 million blockbuster. They also don't have a built in audience of pre-teens that will make their parents take them to the theater to see it multiple times (see Justin Beiber, Hanna Montana) Even if it was just a concert film direct by Martin Scorsese, it wouldn't have done much better - the Stones (a bigger band worldwide than Metallica and more "mainstream") flick he did grossed 5 million.

I agree with SD - it will probably sell well on DVD/Blu-Ray. I am sure it will take them a LONG time before they make the production cost ($18 Million - not including marketing costs) back.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2013 4:13 pm

I actually went to see this last week. The concert stuff was really good, the story was bad. I read that Cliff's soul was in the bag, hence them playing the song Orion at the end. Believe me, if you didn't see it, I didn't spoil the end because the whole movie thing was stupid. The only thing that kind of ruined the concert part was when they integrated it with what was going on with the movie part. otherwise it wasn't bad.

I wish I had seen it for $9 instead of paying the $15 at Loews because they apparently don't do half price movies on Tuesdays! Either way it was a guys night I haven't done in a long time so whaaaaaaaatever.

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Can't say I've ever had any interest in concert films, even of bands I like, unless the "movie" really is just a well-filmed and edited concert. Just let me watch the band play, no side stories are necessary.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 1:24 pm

My favorite will always be The Last Waltz, but Stop Making Sense has the best direction.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39838

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 pm

sheets wrote:
Can't say I've ever had any interest in concert films, even of bands I like, unless the "movie" really is just a well-filmed and edited concert. Just let me watch the band play, no side stories are necessary.

I'm pretty much the same way as well. I'd much rather watch the band play and that's it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 3:19 pm

Just got Kirk Hammet's Too Much Horror Business book in the mail. Looks like a fun read.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 12:56 pm

James has some interesting comments on the Orion Festival and the state of metal in the US...

Quote :
Asked when METALLICA fans in the United States can expect to see the band on the road here again, Hetfield said: "You know what? We keep going back to Europe for summer festivals. People keep offering us headline spots over there. [We're going to] South America this year."

He continued: "I don't know what's happening the States.

"The States has gotta step up and want their music.

"I'm not sure what's going on in the States as far as rock and metal goes and concert-wise, but there's not really any willingness to get a big show out there and make it worthwhile to actually get out there and play. You see other bands gathering up six different bands just to go out and play.

"It's pretty tough in North America."

He added: "Right now, it seems like metal is struggling a little bit in the States. Obviously, the Orion [Music + More] festival that we had tried to do the last couple of years has really not been… Gosh, it's been a disaster financially, and it's not able to happen again because of that. So it's a bummer. So, you know, we're doing what we can to keep being alive here. And I hope to get out and play in the States. It seems like forever since we've been out and about. You know, we've hit the coasts and we've done TV stuff and things like that. But it will happen again. So hopefully, to get your fix, you're able to get the ['Metallica Through The Never'] DVD and sit there and headbang with your friends."

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 6:01 pm

When will Metallica realise that they have had the peak of their careers, stop doing ridiculous overblown bullshit that cost them millions and proves just how out of touch they are with their fanbase and just go back to being a band, record a good album and if people don't have the cash to spend ridiculous money on an enormotour, scale it back, play smaller venues and cut out the poncey crap!

"Not trying to be something big and fancy, it's just us doing what we do. Let's keep it that way" - Cliff Burton 1986

Just make some good music!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 38 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next