Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam

Go down 
+16
jstate
Fat Freddy
Addy
metalinmyveins
the sentinel
sam
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
Mglaffas81
mc666
manny
EvyMetal
Schbopo
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
XYZ
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Empty
PostSubject: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 10:23 am

I'll start:

Recently, there have been a few music artists that have demanded that John McCain stop playing their songs at his political rallies. Who cares!! If you don't want someone to use a song that you wrote, don't write it! Ok, you don't like the Republican Party platform, that's fine. There are some issues that I don't agree with them on. But just because you're a rich and powerful celebrity doesn't make you an enlightened individual, vastly more capable than us "small-minded" individuals to be able to make sound judgments on sociological and political decisions. Come on, celebrities are doing idiotic stuff every day. What with all the actors in rehab, the one's found guilty of drug use and DUI, and those sleeping around like nobody's business. You celebrities are NO BETTER than the rest of us! Take that "holier than thou (great song, btw)" attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine. Don't think that since you've been elevated in terms of celebrity makes you able to restrict the rights of people to play the songs that they think fit there message. What's next? Dave Grohl doesn't want the San Diego Chargers to play any Foo Fighters songs because he is a fan of the 49ers. Give me a break!

angry angry

I'll give this thread a day until someone gets offended and someone shuts it down. Oh well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:06 am

Artists SHOULD have the rights to decide how their music is used. If you play a song at a political rally it seems as if the ARTIST themselves is supporting the candidate, if they don't agree with the views of the politicians they should have the right to request not to be associated with them.

It's no different than music being used for advertising or movies. I doubt very seriously that Slayer would like it if someone decided to use "Mandatory Suicide" to sell female deodorant products....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:36 am

I both agree and disagree with the original post. I'm with Detuned in saying that an artist should be able to say whether their music can be used in a political rally.

But agree with the rest of XYZ's post. I'm sick and tired of celebrity types who talk down their noses to us "common folk". People like George Clooney who think people who disagree with his left wing views simply lack the intelligence to understand. Just because someone has had the fortune to rise to the status of "star" does not make him or her anymore enlightened than the rest of us.

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:08 pm

SPAM™️ spam brand meat product. I hate it when the pull tab breaks off as you are opening the can. That really grinds my gears. I feel better without that on my chest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:33 pm

I don't consider myself "common folk"...the "common folk" that I grew up around were mostly racist rednecks with IQ's in the double digits.

I'd rather hang out with George Clooney.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:37 pm

You know what I mean. I mean the 9-5er; people who've never been celebrities.

And if my choices are hanging with rednecks or hanging with Clooney, I'm gonna be by myself thanks.

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:
You know what I mean. I mean the 9-5er; people who've never been celebrities.

And if my choices are hanging with rednecks or hanging with Clooney, I'm gonna be by myself thanks.

Laughing very hard

I was joking, just forgot the smiley.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Here's one that never fails to raise my blood pressure to dangerous levels.

I call them "Space Waiters" or "Parking Lot Vultures"; people who will wait in a lane on a parking lot so their fat asses can be 5 feet closer to the door while the little old lady loads her groceries into the car one item at a time. I see this around here all the time but it's especially prevalent around the holidays.

This scenario has been known to make The Bird take wing from my car window.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 1:19 pm

I
Quote :
call them "Space Waiters" or "Parking Lot
Vultures"; people who will wait in a lane on a parking lot so their fat
asses can be 5 feet closer to the door while the little old lady loads
her groceries into the car one item at a time. I see this around here
all the time but it's especially prevalent around the holidays.

This is one of my all-time pet-peeves as well. I can't stand it. If they're waiting on me....I slow down. Unload my groceries slow, comb my hair, adjust my radio or put in a new cd....anything. I especially like taking a long slow stroll as I return my cart to the cart holder place.

If I get stuck behind in the line one of those people make, I usually go around and freak them out because they think I'm gonna take their spot. All's I want is to move on!!!! What I don't like about these people is that they don't care that they're making all the people behind them wait. These people are probably jerks in all areas.
angry angry
Fire-lane parkers are even worse. I can't stand them. Usually healthy and often wealthy jerks. Often they're young punks (or little divas) who think the world revolves around them.
angry angry
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 2:00 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I
Quote :
call them "Space Waiters" or "Parking Lot
Vultures"; people who will wait in a lane on a parking lot so their fat
asses can be 5 feet closer to the door while the little old lady loads
her groceries into the car one item at a time. I see this around here
all the time but it's especially prevalent around the holidays.

This is one of my all-time pet-peeves as well. I can't stand it. If they're waiting on me....I slow down. Unload my groceries slow, comb my hair, adjust my radio or put in a new cd....anything. I especially like taking a long slow stroll as I return my cart to the cart holder place.

If I get stuck behind in the line one of those people make, I usually go around and freak them out because they think I'm gonna take their spot. All's I want is to move on!!!! What I don't like about these people is that they don't care that they're making all the people behind them wait. These people are probably jerks in all areas.
angry angry
Fire-lane parkers are even worse. I can't stand them. Usually healthy and often wealthy jerks. Often they're young punks (or little divas) who think the world revolves around them.
angry angry

I couldn't agree with you guys more.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 3:03 pm

I hate when people refer to a Black Sabbath song as an Ozzy Osbourne song and I say "that's a Sabbath song" and they go
"Same thing".

angry
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 4:17 pm

tohostudios wrote:

But agree with the rest of XYZ's post. I'm sick and tired of celebrity types who talk down their noses to us "common folk". People like George Clooney who think people who disagree with his left wing views simply lack the intelligence to understand. Just because someone has had the fortune to rise to the status of "star" does not make him or her anymore enlightened than the rest of us.

I always thought it was retarded that if there's a fight between me and just some other guy, it's nothing. But when it's a celebrity, all hell breaks loose and I'm on the cover of The National Enquirer. There's much more interesting people than celebreties, that the world never touches upon.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 4:43 pm

[quote="xyz"]I'll start:

Recently,
there have been a few music artists that have demanded that John McCain
stop playing their songs at his political rallies. Who cares!! If you
don't want someone to use a song that you wrote, don't write it! Ok,
you don't like the Republican Party platform, that's fine. There are
some issues that I don't agree with them on. But just because you're a
rich and powerful celebrity doesn't make you an enlightened individual,
vastly more capable than us "small-minded" individuals to be able to
make sound judgments on sociological and political decisions. Come on,
celebrities are doing idiotic stuff every day. What with all the actors
in rehab, the one's found guilty of drug use and DUI, and those
sleeping around like nobody's business. You celebrities are NO BETTER
than the rest of us! Take that "holier than thou (great song, btw)"
attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine. Don't think that since
you've been elevated in terms of celebrity makes you able to restrict
the rights of people to play the songs that they think fit there
message. What's next? Dave Grohl doesn't want the San Diego Chargers to
play any Foo Fighters songs because he is a fan of the 49ers. Give me a
break!

angry angry

First
off I wanted to start that I am not offended by your comments, but I
feel that is an artist does not want their music used by a politican or
corporation or whoever, they reserve the right to not have their music
used. Maybe Van Halen for example donot people to assiociate 'Right
Now" with politics in general, to quote are good friend Dallas Black
"Politics is a dirty business" and who wants their art linked with that?
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 4:45 pm

Like how Heart didn't want Palin playing Barracuda.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 4:57 pm

Schbopo wrote:
I hate when people refer to a Black Sabbath song as an Ozzy Osbourne song and I say "that's a Sabbath song" and they go
"Same thing".

angry

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Schbopo wrote:
"Same thing".

angry
I hate when people refer to a Ripper era Priest song as a Judas Priest song and I say "that's not Halford singing" and they go
"Same thing".

angry

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 5:17 pm

I hate the fact that Black Sabbath calls themselves Heaven and Hell !!! angry
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 5:26 pm

I am annoyed that Eyesore's S-shaped dickhole hasn't started to talk
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I am annoyed that Eyesore's S-shaped dickhole hasn't started to talk

You're obviously not listening.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 6:26 pm

manny wrote:
I hate the fact that Black Sabbath calls themselves Heaven and Hell !!! angry

That's funny, I hadn't really thought of that one. Although, in a way it kind of makes sense...it enables them to continue on making music with Dio, not be confused with the Ozzy era band...and they also don't have to play any of that material live. Iommi said that after 10 years of playing Paranoid and Iron Man with the re-united lineup during Ozzfest that he REALLY needed a change of pace.

Since they're back in the studio recording new material I'll let them have their new name.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 9:00 pm

What really ticks me off is that if you want to put the blame on one person for the current economic problems, it's Barney Frank and he's getting away with it!!!!!!! He is the one that loosened the rules that allowed Freddie and Fannie to make risky loans, then sell them to Lehman Bro's (etc) - then he was standing next to the worst speaker of the house we have had in our lifetime, Nancy Polosi and acting like hero saving the economy!!!!!!!!!! HE started the rules, Clinton initially signed off on them. And the news media will not go after Frank because they love a ghey liberal from Mass.! They won't go after Bill Clinton because they love him too!!!!!!! They want Obama to win so bad, they not report anything but good news on him!!!!!!! What ever happened to REPORTING the news and not trying to tell people what to think!!!!!! People may complain the Fox News is too conservative, but the libers have MSNBC, CNN, CBS, NBC, ABC. Don't whine about it!!!! It's a FREE country where we have FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!!!!!!! Saying Fox News needs to go off the air is not FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!! If you don't like it, watch ANOTHER CHANNEL!!!!! I am sick of people standing up for free speech, but if it's only their viewpoint!!!!!!!!! Or people than want women to break through the glass ceiling, but only if it is someone that LOOKS AND THINKS exactly like them!!!!!!! And I am worried that Obama , if he wins, will take start taking away our freedoms!!!!!!!!!!!! And Voter fraud is on the rise!!!! How the HELL can Tony Romo registetr to vote in a state he doesn't live in! He showed up as a "new voter" in MO!!!!!!! Rest assured, just like in the 1960 election, dead people will be voting in Chicago again!!!!! Someone should tape George Clooney's mouth shut!!!!!! And get Cybil Sheppard while they are at it!!!!! John McCain seems to have had his BA**S removed recently!!! He needs to grow a new set!!!

Ok, enough of my stream of conscieness rant. I did hear on the radio that early voting ballots in upstate new york, misspelled Obama's name as Osama!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 12:55 pm

I hate politics.I'm tired of the Republican vs Democrat bull.I wish we could go back to the way things were when they founded this country.Why not do whats best for America instead of worrying about whether you're left or right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 1:25 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
And I am worried that Obama , if he wins, will take start taking away our freedoms!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess you haven't been paying attention to all the freedoms that the Bush administration has been taking away from us for the past 8 years. "The Patriot Act" = "Big Brother". Let's turn America into a police state run by a redneck dictator.

No thanks, let me off this bus please...I've had enough. The "Moral Majority" is an oxymoron...time to do some ass-kickin' to the curb.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 1:59 pm

detuned wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
And I am worried that Obama , if he wins, will take start taking away our freedoms!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess you haven't been paying attention to all the freedoms that the Bush administration has been taking away from us for the past 8 years. "The Patriot Act" = "Big Brother". Let's turn America into a police state run by a redneck dictator.

No thanks, let me off this bus please...I've had enough. The "Moral Majority" is an oxymoron...time to do some ass-kickin' to the curb.

I agree with you on the "moral majority" - not my cup of tea. the "take away out rights and freedom minority". I've never been a fan of jerry falwell's org (or jerry for that matter) - they really tick me off too. I knew people that went to jerry's college, liberty university. Jeery had people, during the school year, go to the local theater parking lots and if a car with a liberty u parking sticker was in the lot, the owner of that car would be punished. Takled about taking away liberty!!!!! The extreme right and the far left both worry me that they will take away our freedoms.

Speaking of big brother, traffic light cams that are designed to catch people running a red light, now that's big brother!!!!!!! Talk about expanding government and taking away our freedoms!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 2:19 pm

The traffic cameras are a good point...read a really interesting article on China recently, where they are basically installing thousands and thousands of security cameras EVERYWHERE...so they can spy on citizens and catch "rebels" when they initially gather, etc. They are using state of the art digital identification technology for this...supplied partially by the U.S. military.

Ever heard the phrase "hell in a handbasket"? That's where we're headed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam   Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sound Off Thread: A Place to Blow off Some Steam
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next