Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Songs that sound out of place on albums?

Go down 
+30
MEGATRON
ProgDoom
HamburgerBoy
jettafiend
Wayne
Nico
kmorg
metalinmyveins
shamgar75
arachnoplasma
Required Fields
exact33
metalhead777
Vexer6
Temple of Blood
GrandNational
thejokeriv
jstate
mlotek
MetalGuy71
manny
ultmetal
Leatherface
INVADERS
Tur-Thalion
Approval Guy
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
chewie
Hadley
34 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Songs that sound out of place on albums? Empty
PostSubject: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 12:58 am

Have you ever heard a song that sounds out-of-place on an album? I was just looking at my copy of W.A.S.P.'s "Unholy Terror", and IMO, the song "Wasted White Boys" doesnt fit with the rest of the songs on the album at all (it sounds more like a leftover from helldorado if anything)
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 1:59 am

I always thought Money felt out of place on Dark Side Of The Moon. It doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere as the rest of the songs.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37673

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 7:19 am

The ballad "Promises" on Overkill's FROM THE UNDERGROUND AND BELOW sticks out like a turd in the middle of a birthday cake.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:13 am

"Tears" on 2112 by Rush. That album just rocks along and then this piece of crap brings everything to a screeching and screech-y halt.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 8:59 am

chewie wrote:
I always thought Money felt out of place on Dark Side Of The Moon. It doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere as the rest of the songs.

I disagree. I think that Money is a song that perfectly breaks up the melancholic atmosphere of the album before it gets stale while still fitting in perfectly.

For me Skullkrusher off The Years of Decay really stuck out. I don't know what they were thinking putting this in the middle of the album, it would have been a great closer but in the middle it realy breaks the flow of the music.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 9:08 am

tohostudios wrote:
"Tears" on 2112 by Rush. That album just rocks along and then this piece of crap brings everything to a screeching and screech-y halt.

I feel that way about most of Rush's ballads. They just aren't that good.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 9:10 am

Wasting Love from Maiden's Fear of the Dark
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 9:49 am

Tur-Thalion wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I feel that way about most of Rush's ballads. They just aren't that good.

Good point. "Rivendell" does the same thing on Fly By Night.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:33 am

Approval Guy wrote:
chewie wrote:

I disagree. I think that Money is a song that perfectly breaks up the melancholic atmosphere of the album before it gets stale while still fitting in perfectly.

I guess your right in that regard, but that melancholic atmosphere is what I like about that album.

Unlike The Final Cut, where it's just overpowering. Of course it's just downright depressing. Come to mind, Not Now John sounds like it should have been on the second Gilmour solo album.

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18993

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:38 am

Flotsam and Jetsam's cover of "Saturday Nights' Alright for Fighting" on No Place For Disgrace" is probably one. But, I still think the cover is decent, even if the mood of the song doesn't really fit with the rest of the record that well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 am

The remixed "Weapons of our Warfare" on Deliverance's Stay of Execution. It was the record company trying to keep the video on MTV alive, as it was getting some air time back then. However, it just doesn't fit the overall feel of the album.

Leatherface wrote:
Flotsam and Jetsam's cover of "Saturday Nights' Alright for Fighting" on No Place For Disgrace" is probably one. But, I still think the cover is decent, even if the mood of the song doesn't really fit with the rest of the record that well.

Agreed

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:18 am

Leatherface wrote:

Yeah, It should have just been released as a single.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:43 am

chewie wrote:
Approval Guy wrote:
chewie wrote:

I guess your right in that regard, but that melancholic atmosphere is what I like about that album.

Unlike The Final Cut, where it's just overpowering. Of course it's just downright depressing. Come to mind, Not Now John sounds like it should have been on the second Gilmour solo album.

Really? About Face? Or do you mean the second Waters solo album (which I haven't heard)?

chewie wrote:
Leatherface wrote:

Yeah, It should have just been released as a single.

Hmm...I might have to relisten to No Place For Disgrace...because I've never noticed anything too odd about Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting. I suppose the tone is a bit out of place, but the tempo fits well. What I think is out of place is the instrumental at the end, "The Jones." I always just skip it because it's so boring.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:56 am

chewie wrote:
Approval Guy wrote:
chewie wrote:

That is true but I believe Waters wrote that song on his own and is the one song he let Gilmour had any say what so ever.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 11:57 am

'He's Back (The Man behind the Mask' belonged on the cutting room floor not as the last song on 'Constrictor' by Alice.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm

[quote="Tur-Thalion"]
chewie wrote:
Approval Guy wrote:
chewie wrote:

Really? About Face? Or do you mean the second Waters solo album (which I haven't heard)?

For some reason I thought Gilmour wrote that song...... The Wall and The Final Cut albums I can no longer sit thru(haven't been able to for years now), but there are individual songs that I do like.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 12:09 pm

Speaking of Coop, that "bonus" track with Xhibit that they tacked on to the end of the Dirty Diamonds album is terrible and doesn't fit in with the rest of the album at all.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 12:12 pm

Well, Not Now John definitely does have a different feel to it than the rest of The Final Cut.

I listen to The Wall and The Final Cut less frequently than other Floyd, but I still enjoy them both and can listen through them all the way. And actually listening to them less frequently helps me to appreciate them more, in a way. I listened through The Wall a couple months ago and thought to myself how great it is. But I think if I listened to it too frequently, I'd get sick of it.

Waters failed to realized that Pink Floyd is best when everyone contributes. Although as I write that...I think that Waters wrote pretty much all of Animals, which is one of my favorite Floyd albums.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 12:27 pm

manny wrote:
That is true but I believe Waters wrote that song on his own and is the one song he let Gilmour had any say what so ever.

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Well, Not Now John definitely does have a different feel to it than the rest of The Final Cut.

That's probably why I thought that Gilmour wrote it. It's seems that it's closer sounding to All Lovers Are Deranged and Murder than stuff off of Pros and Cons.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Speaking of Coop, that "bonus" track with Xhibit that they tacked on to the end of the Dirty Diamonds album is terrible and doesn't fit in with the rest of the album at all.

Totally agree!
Alice should NEVER have been part of it in the first place, horrible horrible horrible track...I hate that damn song
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Even though I always sorta dug the song "Nice Dreams" by Powermad, it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of Absolute Power.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I always thought "Spineless" stuck out like a sore thumb on Tourniquet's Psycho Surgery. I actually like the song, but it's weird having a rap/metal song right in the middle of a thrash album.

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 6:43 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I always thought "Spineless" stuck out like a sore thumb on Tourniquet's Psycho Surgery. I actually liker the song, but it's weird having a rap/metal song right in the middle of a thrash album.

Agree - I have this on CD and back in the day I would make tapes of all my CD's for the car and purposely skipped that song and didn't record it to tape
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 6:50 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I always thought "Spineless" stuck out like a sore thumb on Tourniquet's Psycho Surgery. I actually liker the song, but it's weird having a rap/metal song right in the middle of a thrash album.

Agree - I have this on CD and back in the day I would make tapes of all my CD's for the car and purposely skipped that song and didn't record it to tape

My CD is scratched on that song and skips half way in-between so I have to skip it each time because as annoying as the rap part is, the scratch and skip is worse Smile
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 7:14 pm

manny wrote:
'He's Back (The Man behind the Mask' belonged on the cutting room floor not as the last song on 'Constrictor' by Alice.

Yeah, that song is horrible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Songs that sound out of place on albums?   Songs that sound out of place on albums? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Songs that sound out of place on albums?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next