Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saxon fans lets talk

Go down 
+16
sam
DallasBlack
Wargod
James B.
TheGooch
steel warrior
the sentinel
MetalGuy71
krokus
kmorg
ultmetal
nevermore
manny
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
Glenn Rogers
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:55 pm

Those early Saxon albums are classic plus it was interesting to hear a British Band tackle the subject of JFK's assassination on the song "Dallas 1 PM"
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 5:26 pm

I saw Krokus had " Rock the Nation" as one his favorite Saxon platters, I was very disappointed with this album and consider it the worst Saxon disc in their catalog, but maybe I will revisit the cd and see if I still feel the same way.

I remember thinking at the time that these guys are going for a more Americanized radio sound, and I felt they should have stuck to their guns, but it has been a long time since I have listened to this cd.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 5:59 pm

25-Sep-08Saxon To Release A New Album And Embark On A Major World Tour In Early 2009
Submitted by: DSR

SAXON fans have a lot of things to look forward to in the coming months: to start off with, the British metal legends will release their new download single, "Live To Rock", followed by the arrival at the stores of their current studio album, "Into The Labyrinth", as well as major tours to support both releases. So a hot autumn is about to start in a few days' time!

Saxon's new single, "Live To Rock", will be available as an Internet download from October 17th, and SAXON will present the track live for the first time during the tour which will take Biff Byford and company alongside MOTÖRHEAD and DANKO JONES through England and Germany in November/December 2008. SAXON's new studio album, "Into The Labyrinth", will be out on January 12th, 2009 and in the States on January 13, 2009. In February 2009, the band will embark on another major world tour, only one month after the album release.

Saxon is currently still working on an additional 14th track, which will be available exclusively as a download on iTunes from the release date.

"The new material was written in England and at my house in France," Byford explains. "Stylistically, I would describe the album as an even balance between 'Lionheart' and 'The Inner Sanctum', a mix of powerful, in-your-face rock songs and pure heavy metal tracks. We're very happy with the production and proud of 'Into The Labyrinth'."

"Into The Labyrinth" track listing:
1. Battalions Of Steel
2. Live To Rock
3. Demon Sweeney Todd
4. The Letter
5. Valley Of The Kings
6. Slow Lane Blues
7. Crime Of Passion
8. Premonition in D Minor
9. Voice
10. Protect Yourselves
11. Hellcat
12. Come Rock Of Ages (The Circle Is Complete)
13. Coming Home (Bottleneck Version)
25-Sep-08Saxon To Release A New Album And Embark On A Major World Tour In Early 2009
Submitted by: DSR

SAXON fans have a lot of things to look forward to in the coming months: to start off with, the British metal legends will release their new download single, "Live To Rock", followed by the arrival at the stores of their current studio album, "Into The Labyrinth", as well as major tours to support both releases. So a hot autumn is about to start in a few days' time!

Saxon's new single, "Live To Rock", will be available as an Internet download from October 17th, and SAXON will present the track live for the first time during the tour which will take Biff Byford and company alongside MOTÖRHEAD and DANKO JONES through England and Germany in November/December 2008. SAXON's new studio album, "Into The Labyrinth", will be out on January 12th, 2009 and in the States on January 13, 2009. In February 2009, the band will embark on another major world tour, only one month after the album release.

Saxon is currently still working on an additional 14th track, which will be available exclusively as a download on iTunes from the release date.

"The new material was written in England and at my house in France," Byford explains. "Stylistically, I would describe the album as an even balance between 'Lionheart' and 'The Inner Sanctum', a mix of powerful, in-your-face rock songs and pure heavy metal tracks. We're very happy with the production and proud of 'Into The Labyrinth'."

"Into The Labyrinth" track listing:
1. Battalions Of Steel
2. Live To Rock
3. Demon Sweeney Todd
4. The Letter
5. Valley Of The Kings
6. Slow Lane Blues
7. Crime Of Passion
8. Premonition in D Minor
9. Voice
10. Protect Yourselves
11. Hellcat
12. Come Rock Of Ages (The Circle Is Complete)
13. Coming Home (Bottleneck Version)
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

going to see Saxon in November 🤘
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:28 am

Like others have said...hit and miss with the songs, but not a bad overall lp in the catalog (IMHO) I only saw them once and that was in 83', sandwiched between Fastway and Maiden. great show by the way !
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Can't go wrong with Saxon, period! They are one of those bands that age with each year and get better!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Glenn Rogers wrote:
Get The Best of Saxon 1979-1988 It's a 3 disc set...

That may be my next stop. I have a one disc greatest hits that I enjoy immensely, but still not sure where to start. That three disc set seems ideal for me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 10:30 pm

Dallas Black start with "Wheels of Steel" or " Strong Arm of the Law" those two albums put Saxon on the map and are filled with their classics such as "Dallas 1 p.m." " 747 (Strangers in the Night" and mighty riff rocker " Wheels of Steel".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:50 am

Quote :

SAXON Reissues Coming In February
- Jan. 26, 2009

EMI has set a February 23 release date for the first batch of SAXON reissues covering the albums "Saxon", "Wheels Of Steel" and "Strong Arm Of The Law".

* "Saxon":

Originally released in 1979, SAXON's self-titled debut, widely regarded as the first LP to be issued by a New Wave Of British Heavy Metal band, was first made available in 1979 on the French Carrere label.

Originally forming in Barnsley, South Yorkshire as SON OF A smurfette, the quintet of Biff Byford on vocals, Graham Oliver and Paul Quinn on lead guitars, Steve Dawson on bass and Pete Gill on drums, upon being signed, the band swiftly changed their name to SAXON (which their label thought would be more palatable to U.S. audiences). Produced by John Verity at Livingstone Studios, the album starts with the progressively flavored suite of "Rainbow Theme"/"Frozen Rainbow". The rest of the album is suffused with a punky energy, and features the classics "Stallions Of The Highway", "Still Fit To Boogie" and "Militia Guard".

Bonus tracks: The original album is now supplemented by pre-album demos, recorded when they were still called SON OF A smurfette, their first BBC session, recorded in 1980 for Tommy Vance's Radio 1 "Friday Rock Show", plus live tracks from the inaugural Donington Monsters Of Rock
show, 1980. It also features rare and previously unseen photos courtesy
of the band's personal archives as well as extensive liner notes by Classic Rock and Metal Hammer journalist Jerry Ewing, written in co-operation with lead singer Biff Byford.

Bonus Tracks:

01. Big Teaser (1978 Demo)
02. Stallions Of The Highway (1978 Demo)
03. Backs To The Wall (1978 Demo)
04. Rainbow Theme (Demo)
05. Frozen Rainbow (Demo)
06. Backs to the Wall (BBC Session)
07. Stallions of the Highway (BBC Session)
08. Motorcycle Man (BBC Session)
09. Still Fit to Boogie (BBC Session)
10. 747 (Strangers in the Night) (BBC Session)
11. Judgement Day (Live, b-side of Suzie Hold On)
12. Still Fit To Boogie (Live at Donington 1980)
13. Backs To The Wall (Live at Donington 1980)
14. Stallions Of The Highway (Live at Donington 1980)

* "Wheels Of Steel":

Originally released in 1980, "Wheels Of Steel", SAXON's second LP, was produced by the band in association with Pete Hinton at Ramport Studios. Released in February 1980, and hitting the No. 5 position, it features the original lineup of Biff Byford on vocals, Graham Oliver and Paul Quinn on guitars, Steve Dawson on bass and Pete Gill on drums. "Wheels Of Steel" is crammed with classics, from set opener "Motorcycle Man", through the singles "Suzi Hold On", "747 (Strangers In The Night)" and title track (both of which cracked the UK To 20), finishing off with "Machine Gun".

Bonus
tracks: The album now includes rare b-sides and live tracks recorded in
front of 35,000 metal maniacs at the very first Donington Monsters Of Rock
festival, plus extremely rare and recently discovered, previously
unreleased demos recorded prior to the album. It also features rare and
previously unseen photos courtesy of the band’s personal archives as
well as extensive liner notes by Classic Rock and Metal Hammer scribe Jerry Ewing, written in co-operation with lead singer Biff Byford.

Bonus Tracks:

01. Suzie Hold On (1980 Demo Rehearsal)
02. Wheels Of Steel (1980 Demo Rehearsal)
03. Stallions Of The Highway (Live, b-side of 747 (Strangers In the Night))
04. Motorcycle Man (Live at Donington 1980)
05. Freeway Mad (Live at Donington 1980)
06. Wheels Of Steel (Live at Donington 1980)
07. 747 (Strangers In The Night) (Live at Donington 1980)
08. Machine Gun (Live at Donington 1980)

* "Strong Arm Of The Law"

Originally released in October 1980, SAXON's third album (and second LP of 1980!) was the second to be produced by the band in association with Pete Hinton at Ramport Studios. Opening with the self-explanatory "Heavy Metal Thunder", like its predecessor "Wheels Of Steel", "Strong Arm Of The Law" features many tracks that have remained staples of SAXON's live set to the present day, including "20,000 Ft", "Hungry Years" and "Dallas 1pm", a song about John F Kennedy's assassination, revealing the band's social conscience.

Bonus tracks: "Strong Arm Of The Law" now includes the complete 1982 Kid Jensen B15 session, recorded live in the studio for BBC Radio 1, new mixes taken from the original 24 track tapes of "To Hell And Back Again" (an alternate take from the final LP version), "20,000 Ft" and "Heavy Metal Thunder", remixed at Abbey Road Studios by Pete Mew. It also features a previously unreleased song in "Mandy" (an early working version of "Sixth Form Girls"). It also features rare memorabilia and extensive liner notes by Classic Rock and Metal Hammer writer Jerry Ewing, written in co-operation with lead singer Biff Byford.

Bonus Tracks:

01. 20,000 Ft (BBC Session 1982)
02. Dallas 1 PM (BBC Session 1982)
03. The Eagle Has Landed (BBC Session 1982)
04. 747 (Strangers In The Night) (BBC Session 1982)
05. To Hell And Back Again (Alternate Version)
06. 20,000 Ft (Abbey Road mix 2009)
07. Mandy (Early version of "Sixth Form Girls")
08. Heavy Metal Thunder (Abbey Road mix 2009)

Some of those bonus tracks look really good...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Figures... I just traded for some older CD versions of the debut and "Wheels of Steel" not long ago. I should've waited. Sad

Quote :
Originally forming in Barnsley, South Yorkshire as SON OF A smurfette

Laughing very hard the curse filter strikes again!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:30 pm

My respect towards Saxon has grown tenfold. They are an intricate part of metal history and it is such a shame they really never got the due respect they should have gotten like Priest and Maiden did. I watched "The Saxon Chronicles" on DVD it is monster.

IMO over the last ten years or so they have put out better cds than either of the 2 bands I mentioned and with their newest offering "Into The Labyirinth" they have even made an even stronger impact in the metal world like never before.

Like I said they get better over time and age like fine wine. Over the last month or so I have tried to get all of their releases good or not they deserve to in my cd rack and all their cds should be their as well. I'm missing like 5 to date!

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Cool to hear WG! Although, I am way partial to the NWOBHM stuff they did, I do agree with

Quote :
IMO over the last ten years or so they have put out better cds than either of the 2 bands I mentioned and with their newest offering "Into The Labyirinth" they have even made an even stronger impact in the metal world like never before.

Kinda makes ya wish you checked them out a long time ago, though, huh?
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:16 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Cool to hear WG! Although, I am way partial to the NWOBHM stuff they did, I do agree with

Quote :

Kinda makes ya wish you checked them out a long time ago, though, huh?

Saxon, I actually saw them on the Wheels Of Steel tour in the US way back when. So I am very familiar with them early on had all their albums up to Denim & Leather then I went on a alcohol binge till 91. so my Saxon was non hearing.

So I am actually rebuilding my Saxon catalog again!

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:29 pm

Quote :
Saxon, I actually saw them on the Wheels Of Steel tour in the US way back when

That would have been KILLER!! First time I had a chance was on "Innocence". Got to meet the guys [courtesy of several bits of eye-candy I brought with!] at First Ave. After the show, I went in Musicland [remember when they were on 7th and Henn?], walked over to the window, took down this monster ad-poster, rolled it up, and walked out the door. It was like everyone inside either thought I had permission, worked there, or just could not believe that I was doing it! hahahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:32 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
Saxon, I actually saw them on the Wheels Of Steel tour in the US way back when

That would have been KILLER!! First time I had a chance was on "Innocence". Got to meet the guys [courtesy of several bits of eye-candy I brought with!] at First Ave. After the show, I went in Musicland [remember when they were on 7th and Henn?], walked over to the window, took down this monster ad-poster, rolled it up, and walked out the door. It was like everyone inside either thought I had permission, worked there, or just could not believe that I was doing it! hahahahahahaha

That is killer story Saxon, so do you still have the poster and what were Saxon guys like?
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 3:35 pm

just got into this band, awesome stuff! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 3:24 am

Quote :
That is killer story Saxon, so do you still have the poster and what were Saxon guys like?

Have not seen that poster in decades. I have moved, probably, 30 times since then. Doubt it would have held up this long anyways.

The whole band was great and very appreciative. Biff was super cool and understanding [my lady friends were draped all over him, which made it difficult to hold a conversation]. I spent most of the time during the opening band backstage rappin' with "Dobby" about Spinal Tap, race cars, the best bass makers [he had an old Rickenbacher {sp?} that he only used for practicing - which lead me to talk about Cliff and Metallica.], and his insane wife. Got my "Sailing to America" vinyl single autographed in silver sharpie by everyone including the road manager [whose name escapes me]. Wow - some cool memories coming back!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:18 am

I currently have a best of and Heavy Metal Thunder. I have yet to get a regular Saxon album but they are on my want list (with my budget only allowing cheap used CDs it may be a while unless an ex-Saxon fan sells off their CDs).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Quote :
unless an ex-Saxon fan sells off their CDs

Might be a LONG wait!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 8:37 pm

I have several cds by SAXON and like them all....

I have that SON OF A B!TCH cd as well and dig it.

I know a guy named SAXON whose pretty groovy as well.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 8:38 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
unless an ex-Saxon fan sells off their CDs

Might be a LONG wait!

I know, thats the problem with most of the CDs I want but can only get used. I just have to wait until I get lucky or have more money.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 am

Listening to Saxon track 'Man and Machine' I have to agree these guys have gotten better with age, it is hard to believe this year will be the 30th anniversey of their debut album.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Well I don't care for the latest 2 albums much. The newest one I just don't get at all. I love their early stuff though!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 1:02 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Well I don't care for the latest 2 albums much. The newest one I just don't get at all. I love their early stuff though!

I loved 'Lionheart' and 'The Inner Sanctum' and their earlier releases are all classics, I have not heard their newest release yet so I have no opinion but I think it is great that band 30 years into their career they are playing with this much fire.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 3:17 pm

I too loved their earlier releases, especially 'Wheels of Steel' thru 'Crusader'. Lost interest in the mid to late 80s but love the comeback they have made with 'Unleash the Beast' and everything since. Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saxon fans lets talk   Saxon fans lets talk - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saxon fans lets talk
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next