Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lets talk about NWOBHM...

Go down 
+7
sam
manny
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
James B.
Pontus
steel warrior
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

Number of posts : 133

Lets talk about NWOBHM... Empty
PostSubject: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:00 pm

... instead of wasting time with new ex-Korn geigh output Smile

Well, I'm a sucker for NWOBHM and get ahold anything I can from it. I think I must have around 75% of all NWOBHM stuff that was released until 1986 or so. Anybody else who enjoys it? Besides the most well known bands, there were a lot of true gems like:

100% Proof
A II Z
After Dark
Battleaxe
Bitches Sin
Blade Runner
Buffalo
Centurion
Cynic (UK)
Chinawhite
Dark Heart
Dark Star
Deep Switch
Desolation Angels
Dragonslayer
EF Band
Elixir
Fist
Gaskin
Geddes Axe
Genghis Khan (pre Tokyo Blade)
Hammerhead
Hell
Heretic
Legend
Lone Wolf
Marquis De Sade
Mendes Prey
Mythra
Quartz
Rage (UK)
Sabre
Satan (specially the demo stuff)
Satanic Rites
Sledgehammer
Shiva
Stormtrooper
Sweet Savage
Trespass
Vardis
White Spirit

etc...
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:10 pm

The NWOBHM moment is a favorite for me too. Raven, Tokyo Blade, Tygers of Pan Tang, Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Iron Maiden are just some of the greatest!

Other bands like Anvil, Pretty Maids, Accept, Riot (even if they are older than most NWOBHM bands) and so on would have the label if they were English bands.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:13 pm

Pontus wrote:
The NWOBHM moment is a favorite for me too. Raven, Tokyo Blade, Tygers of Pan Tang, Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head, Iron Maiden are just some of the greatest!

Other bands like Anvil, Pretty Maids, Accept, Riot (even if they are older than most NWOBHM bands) and so on would have the label if they were English bands.

In fact late 70's and early 80's Riot was highly regarded in Sounds magazine (NWOBHM holy mag)

Last edited by steel warrior on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pontus
Metal student
Metal student

Number of posts : 132

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 2:18 pm

steel warrior wrote:
Pontus wrote:

In fact late 70's and eraly 80's Riot was highly regarded in Sounds magazine (NWOBHM holy mag)

Ah, can imagine that.

I've read that many considered Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell NWOBHM when it was realesed even though American Dio was the singer. But hm, maybe they were right, a high budget NWOBHM production, like Iron Maiden's and Judas Priest's albums as well.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:08 pm

Damn, not enough love for my fave genre together with doom Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:11 pm

I love Doom...I'm not versed enough in NWOBHM aside from the big names....
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:17 pm

The majority of those bands you listed are very difficult to procure anymore and I am guessing that they are easier to find overseas ?

Not to mention, those are some pretty obscure bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:17 pm

Witchfinder General!!!!!

By an odd coincidence I just saw a Tokyo Blade album on vinyl this evening, but they wanted too much for it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12611

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Hey Steel Warrior

Is the Sweet Savage you mentioned Vivian Cambell's old band ?
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:40 pm

James B. wrote:
Hey Steel Warrior

Is the Sweet Savage you mentioned Vivian Cambell's old band ?

That's correct sir, and the Take No Prisoners 7in and their BBC session demo from 1981 kick some serious ass. I am able to upload all this stuff when I get a decent internet conection again.
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:41 pm

detuned wrote:
Witchfinder General!!!!!

By an odd coincidence I just saw a Tokyo Blade album on vinyl this evening, but they wanted too much for it.

Witchfinder General is one of my fave bands ever as they combine NWOBHM and doom
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2008 11:45 pm

James B. wrote:
The majority of those bands you listed are very difficult to procure anymore and I am guessing that they are easier to find overseas ?

Not to mention, those are some pretty obscure bands.

Well getting the 7in and demos, etc is almost impossible nowadays even at Ebay. I have many since the mid 80's from a big batch I got from a cousin that quit metal and gave them to me. And I bought several or got trades through the years but I stopped getting vinyl since the postage costs raised (5 or 6 years ago). I got some of the stuff too trough mp3 trades worlwide.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 9:32 am

Although I'm far from an authority on the subject, I will say that I've never heard a NWOBHM band I didn't like. The only problem I have with some bands is that as they went on, especially into the 80's, they lost their direction, musically speaking, and got caught up in label pressure to become more main-stream, changing thier sound, adding keyboards, or trying to compete with Def Leppard.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 10:32 am

I like Diamond Head, Iron Maiden and Def Leppard the most from the NWOBHM.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 11:53 am

Most of the bands mentioned by Steel Warrior are very hard to find a used or even new cd from, and if I had not purchased the cd completion "New Wave of British Metal '79 Revisted" that was put together by Lars Ulrich for Metal Blade I would have never would have heard most of these bands music.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 12:07 pm

manny wrote:
Most of the bands mentioned by Steel Warrior are very hard to find a used or even new cd from, and if I had not purchased the cd completion "New Wave of British Metal '79 Revisted" that was put together by Lars Ulrich for Metal Blade I would have never would have heard most of these bands music.

That's an awesome comp! That's where I got my start too. I remember gettng that on cassette tape at Tower Records for the old "five-finger discount".
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 7:52 pm

manny wrote:

will have to find this
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Pulled out the GASKIN 2-on-1 CD today! 🤘

Raven is and will always be my favorite NWOBHM band, even over Maiden, Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head...

Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 7:57 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Raven is and will always be my favorite NWOBHM band, even over Maiden, Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head...

yeah, first 3 Raven albums are top material
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 8:09 pm

steel warrior wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

yeah, first 3 Raven albums are top material

All Raven rules!

(OK, a couple of the Atlantic records were lame, but the rest is 🤘 )

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Most people remember the NWOBHM for it's rough & ready DIY ethiic; but a couple of my best aging gems from that era are melodic bands, White Spirit and a few years later Tobruk. Those are two fun bands!

ps.-my favorite "tough" sounding band was another late comer, Tyson Dog.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25855

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:06 pm

Savage is one of my favorites from the NWOBHM.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:10 pm

Tokyo Blade is one my faves
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:12 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Most people remember the NWOBHM for it's rough & ready DIY ethiic; but a couple of my best aging gems from that era are melodic bands, White Spirit and a few years later Tobruk. Those are two fun bands!

ps.-my favorite "tough" sounding band was another late comer, Tyson Dog.

I dont consider Tobruk to be NWOBHM, they were pure AOR. Anyway Wild On The Run kick ass as well as Tysondog
Back to top Go down
steel warrior
Metal student
Metal student
steel warrior

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 29, 2008 9:13 pm

nevermore wrote:
Savage is one of my favorites from the NWOBHM.

Oh yeah, Loose 'n' Lethal is top stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lets talk about NWOBHM...   Lets talk about NWOBHM... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lets talk about NWOBHM...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next