Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands with misleading names

Go down 
+15
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
stepcousin
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
Metal Misfit
mc666
INVADERS
AchrisK
sovdat
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Required Fields
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Yea, Odin was awful. Though it was kind of funny to hear'em go on and on in the movie about how they just KNEW they were going to be such a huge band, then you heard their music...ugh.

Did anyone ever hear their EP "Don't Take No For An Answer"? That was a killer release. They didn't suck then, assuming it was the same band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 2:35 am

Dammit! I just created a thread about this, posted it, and then went, "Wait a minute...didn't we do this thread before?" Thanks, brain. A bit late, buddy.

Quote :
Anyone else just ignore bands for a long time before realizing they're just not what you thought they were? For some reason, I thought Narnia was a death metal band for ages. I have no idea why. I just assumed, for some weird reason, that Narnia was just the perfect name for a Satanic death metal band. Haha. It never dawned on me that it's a glaringly perfect name for name for a Christian band! Haha. So this instance may not really apply, but I did think they were death metal for a long time.

And until just within the past few months I always thought Gotthard was a death metal band, and I ignored them, never even bothered to check them out. Doesn't Gotthard sound like a death metal band name? Haha. Anyway, I realized recently that they're a band I'd probably really, really like, being a huge rock fan and all. Today I bought Domino Effect, and sure enough, I listened to it all day and it's frickin' killer! Outstanding CD! Too bad I've been a retard, thinking they're a death metal band. Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 2:50 am

Eyesore wrote:
Dammit! I just created a thread about this, posted it, and then went, "Wait a minute...didn't we do this thread before?" Thanks, brain. A bit late, buddy.

Quote :
Anyone else just ignore bands for a long time before realizing they're just not what you thought they were? For some reason, I thought Narnia was a death metal band for ages. I have no idea why. I just assumed, for some weird reason, that Narnia was just the perfect name for a Satanic death metal band. Haha. It never dawned on me that it's a glaringly perfect name for name for a Christian band! Haha. So this instance may not really apply, but I did think they were death metal for a long time.

And until just within the past few months I always thought Gotthard was a death metal band, and I ignored them, never even bothered to check them out. Doesn't Gotthard sound like a death metal band name? Haha. Anyway, I realized recently that they're a band I'd probably really, really like, being a huge rock fan and all. Today I bought Domino Effect, and sure enough, I listened to it all day and it's frickin' killer! Outstanding CD! Too bad I've been a retard, thinking they're a death metal band. Hahaha.
congratulations... you've discovered the search function! humble

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 2:55 am

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Quote :

congratulations... you've discovered the search function! humble
Pffft! Brain fart.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 6:45 am

I would have to say Demon Hunter. Sounded pretty intense to me. Oh boy........

Gay, gay, gay. Smile
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 7:42 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
stepcousin wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

Odin - With a name like that, they should've been opening for Manowar.

oh man, I remember this band from the Decline Of Western Civ:the metal years movie. boy did those guys suck! one of the funniest moments from that movie( and there were many) was when they did their set and there were like 3 people in the audience chanting "Odin! Odin" and one of them was that 85 year old promoter. look up the word "Poser" in the dictionary and Odin would have their picture there.

Yea, Odin was awful. Though it was kind of funny to hear'em go on and on in the movie about how they just KNEW they were going to be such a huge band, then you heard their music...ugh.

I bet that now all of the guys from that band are wearing little paper hats and saying "Would you like fries with that, sir?"

Actually Odin was a pretty good band, All of their recordings are great. The guitarist, Jeff Duncan has been in Armored Saint for many years now.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:07 am

DELIVERANCE - I mean they rule, and we now associate the name with
awesome metal/thrash but c'mon....Deliverance?! I keep seeing that poor
guy acting like a pig, clawing at the ground on all fours for the
hill-billys.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:11 am

I always thought One Bad Pig was a weird name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:25 am

Life of Agony- the band name says death metal but they just aren't. After River Runs Red, that band name is even more misleading.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:31 am

There's a band called Ultimatum. You would think they were a Polish death metal band but they are thrashy-ish positive metal.

Oh wait a sec........

Bands with misleading names - Page 2 795291
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 am

spectrefate wrote:
There's a band called Ultimatum. You would think
they were a Polish death metal band but they are thrashy-ish positive
metal.

Oh wait a sec........

Bands with misleading names - Page 2 795291
fainting
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 10:55 am

Pretty little flower - sounds like some hippy crap jam band, but in fact they are raging full on grindcore

Peter Mangalore - again, full on grindcore

Good clean fun - sounds like a Christian pop band, but in reality is a hardcore band.

Zoe - sounds like it should be the name of some euro-pop singer, but it's full on Japanese crust-core.

Lip Cream - horrible name, but awesome hardcore/thrash from Japan.

Assembly of God - it's a church! No, it's raging political crust-core.

Charles Bronson - not the actor, but blazing fast hardcore/power-violence

Guttermouth - I've always thought this would be a great name for a thrash band, but these guys are goofy poppy punk. Good stuff though.

His Hero is Gone - sounds like some sappy emo crap, but it's ripping hardcore/crust.

Split Lip - sounds like it could be a thrash band, but it's really a whiney emo band.

Youth of today - sounds like a praise and worship band, but it's classic straight edge hardcore.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:05 am

What's crust, exactually?
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:15 am

T-Roy wrote:

It's an extreme form of punk/hardocore, with some extreme metal influences thrown in as well. It's usually pretty fast (extreme noise terror, doom, disrupt), but can also be slow, dark and depressing (amebix, misery, axegrinder). It's almost always either extremely political, or extremely depressing lyrically.

Here' wikipedia's definition of "crust", and it's pretty spot on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crust_punk
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:27 am

So, when I think Punk I think NIN, early Altar Boys, The Cure....so
that somewhat only with a heavy/harder metal twist? And bum-me-out
lyrics. So, am I safe to assume the lyrics have more to do with Crust,
than the music style?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:28 am

outofstep wrote:

There's also a grindcore band out there named "Herman Rarebell", as in the former Scorpions drummer. I always wondered what Herman would think if he heard them, or if people come to the grindcore band's shows expecting to see the Scorpions guy and then are like "WTF?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:36 am

T-Roy wrote:

Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Image1-4

C'mon, you knew it was coming.....
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:54 am

T-Roy wrote:
So, when I think Punk I think NIN, early Altar Boys, The Cure....so
that somewhat only with a heavy/harder metal twist? And bum-me-out
lyrics. So, am I safe to assume the lyrics have more to do with Crust,
than the music style?

Well, I wouldn't consider those bands punk except for the altar boys, but that's a totally different style of punk. Crust has more in common with old napalm death than it does with the altar boys. Lyrics are definately important, but the musical style does have a lot to do with it.

Here's some samples:

disgust
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FroHzQqSoZg

disrupt (playing a conflict cover)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyeNu8nG31k

doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJy0NyrsSw

Total chaos (I'm streching the definition of crust a bit with these guys)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhSRjlOf7qI

Nausea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGYKwEJ0UCs
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 11:57 am

spectrefate wrote:
T-Roy wrote:

Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Image1-4

C'mon, you knew it was coming.....
SMACK! I JUST GOT IT UP SIDE THE HEAD WITH A COMBO!
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
outofstep wrote:

There's also a grindcore band out there named "Herman Rarebell", as in the former Scorpions drummer. I always wondered what Herman would think if he heard them, or if people come to the grindcore band's shows expecting to see the Scorpions guy and then are like "WTF?"

HA! That's awesome! I've never heard them before, I'll have to check them out.

I forgot to mention two other bands named after people, which I would imagine have cause some confusion in the past:

Kent Brockman - fast hardcore/grind
Artimus pyle - doomy hardcore
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:08 pm

outofstep wrote:

Aren't they called Artimus Pyledriver?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:13 pm

APPARENTLY, I've never been a fan of punk! Although Early Altar Boys
remains one of my all-time favorite bands. I'll have to check out those
links at home. You tube and myspace and all that are blocked here at
work.....hmmm, its like they want us to work here or something?!
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:26 pm

spectrefate wrote:
outofstep wrote:

No, that's a separate band. The one I'm talking about is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP0aQjAojIs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 12:30 pm

outofstep wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
outofstep wrote:

No, that's a separate band. The one I'm talking about is this one:

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP0aQjAojIs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP0aQjAojIs[/quote[/url]]

Roger Wilco.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28456

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2007 1:08 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
outofstep wrote:

Yeah, that's really weird.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands with misleading names   Bands with misleading names - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands with misleading names
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next