Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?

Go down 
+42
manny
thejokeriv
novellahub
Rex
Addy
Temple of Blood
sam
Chairman_Smith
Required Fields
Stender
XYZ
Wargod
iamrockerfun
sonofthunder
kmorg
AngelRipper16
Schbopo
DeathCult
Trial by Fire
nevermore
SAHB Healer
exact33
jstate
biddle
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
DallasBlack
rattpoison
arttieTHE1manparty
the sentinel
Metal Misfit
Troublezone
candlemass
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
tohostudios
Orion Crystal Ice
Lurideath
mc666
Thrasher73
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 4:52 pm

O M G ! humble

this albums is F a n t a s t i c ! recommended. :hails:
JEFF LOOMIS's solo work. 🤘

i've never heard any style as this is. i always wanted hear how does it feel to listen only guitars of Metal music wout singing. and that's it !
sound great, this is something new for me.

have you know more this style of music ?

Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 L37913wdee9
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 3:15 pm

Another great Thrash release for 08, Warpath-Damnation.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 6:45 pm

I've spent an absurd amount of time, energy and thought on this list. Here it is:

1)Avantasia - The Scarecrow - It was hard to not make this #1. This is brilliant. So much talent collected and used with skill. Jorn's best vocals ever.

2)Theocracy - Mirror Of Souls - 3rd biggest surprise of 2008. Amazing!! So catchy!! So well done!!

3)Saint Deamon - In Shadows Lost From The Brave - Perfect. Everything about this is perfect. This could have been #1 as well. This is a Pelata suggestion.

4)Crom - Vengeance - 2nd biggest surprise of 2008. Never even heard of them. Haunting Epic/Viking/Pagan stuff.

5)Dreamtide - Dream And Deliver - Super smooth and melodic. Never heard of them either.

6)Falconer - Among Beggars and Thieves - Typically stellar release. They don't disappoint.

7)Rage - Carved In Stone - A big surprise. I liked Speak Of The Dead, I love this.

CoolWhitesnake - Good To Be Bad - Great comeback. So many good songs.

9)Metallica - Death Magnetic - Another great comeback. Surprise #4.

10)Edguy - Tinnitus Sanctus - Very melodic & catchy. Just good, good stuff. Not super fast powermetal of old.

11)Once Dead - Visions Of Hell - Another big surprise. Brutal with a great sound. I like Thrash like this.

12)Sabaton - The Art Of War - Unique and super catchy Powermetal

13)Firewind - The Premonition - They can't make a bad alubm. Melodic and catchy.

14)Testament - The Formation of Damnation - First 6-7 songs amazing. Speedy, melodic and good vocals. Great Thrash!

15)Tesla - Forever More - What a great comeback.

16)Cain's Dinasty - Legacy Of Blood - My #1 Surprise of 2008. Got this in a trade. Never expected such good Powermetal for a first time album.

17)The Sword - Gods Of The Earth - Awesome heavy metal (Stoner?). Nice fat riffs.

18)Templar - Preaching To The Preverted - Very unique. Great sound. A big surprise.

19)Lonewolf - Made In Hell - Surprisingly good rough German Powermetal

20)Pyramaze - Immortal - This could/probably would be higher with more time. Blasphemy alert! Best thing Barlow's ever done.

21)Battlelore - The Last Alliance - Very good female fronted/beauty and the beast vocals Viking/Pagan metal.

22)Pharaoh - Be Gone - One of my recent favorite bands. With time this could rise higher. It's very good traditional heavy metal.

23)Saint - Crime Scene Earth - My first Saint. I was pleasantly surprised. More Kramer!

24)House Of Lords - Come to My Kingdom - Could be higher, but very good & well done. I actually expected this to be higher with the good reviews. Time might tell.

25)Brainstorm - Downburst - So hard to follow one of my favorite metal albums of all time - Liquid Monster - but this is still a good album.

That's always hard. The top-5 could all have been mixed around, but Theocracy made me say "Wow!" the most.

Then the middle area 11-20 is sort of a crap shoot.

These are the rest of my 2008 thoughts:

Martyr's Shrine - S/T - Closest to Top-25 that didn't make it.

Warbringer - War Without End - Next closest to Top-25 that didn't make it.

Dragonforce - Ultra Beatdown - I like it and it's solid, but just not enough wow factor for top-25

Wolf's Moon - Unholy Darkness - This was also hard to leave off the list. This would probably get there in a different year. SO many great albums in 2008. This is very good traditional heavy metal.

Alestorm - Capatain Morgan's Revenge - Great ideas and great music, but the vocals are flat and don't carry their own weight.

Holy Blood - The Patriot - Not a bad album, but not striking.

Becoming The Archetype - Dichotomy - Not enough time to absorb this. Also, hard to match against the brilliant Terminate Damnation.

Stormwarrior - Heading Northe - Some GREAT songs, and then some so-so ones.

Blessed By A Broken Heart - Pedal To The Metal - This belongs to my kiddo - but I like it too. Good, catchy music...but I only like small doses.

Sencirow - The Nightmare Within - Power/Thrash that could have contended with more time OR with a couple songs that get stuck in my head. In any case, very good and speedy metal.

Driver - Sons Of Thunder - This is good, but out of the top-25 based on it just lacking that little something. All of RR's solo, Warrior, his Impellitteri and other stuff are better to me. This is good, but not his best.

Lordi - Deadache - Another one that belongs to my kiddo. Good and catchy, but not up to The Arocalypse.

Dark Empire - Humanity Dethroned - Disappointment #4. Their incredible EP - Distant Tides - had me pumped. This isn't bad, but it's inconsistant and I expected more.

Battleroar - To Death And Beyond - decent Traditional heavy metal.

Evergrey - Torn - My #2 disappointment for 2008. I love MMA so much, I was bummed this didn't stick.

Special category:

Deliverance - Weapons Of Our Warfare (re-issue). Doesn't count for 2008.
Deliverance - Deliverance (same story)

Thrash Clash - Vol 1,2,3,4 - Interesting two band Thrash comps with killer artwork, but not in the running for top-25 consideration. Vol. 4 was my disappointment #4. I'd been loving this series, but the lyrics of Vol. 4 are so pervasively Satan drenched that I can't listen to it. Oh, well.

Iced Earth - Crucible Of Man - Listened twice - SOLD. My #3 disappointment of 2008.

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:17 pm

I gotta agree with your assessment of the new Iced Earth.

I understand now why you sold it to me. Sleep

I'd add the new Lordi to my disappointment list as well. I'm currently spinning Monsterican Dream and the songwriting on this is so much better than Deadache IMO.

And I think the new Edguy sucks! These songs just aren't memorable at all for me. The first couple are decent but after that...more Sleep

That Crom bored me too after 3 or 4 songs.

On the positive side, the new Sabaton is high on my list for 2008 as are Theocracy and Firewind.

I'd also add Lechery and Gemini 5 to my list of Best Ofs for 2008

Last edited by tohostudios on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:21 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I gotta agree with your assessment of the new Iced Earth.

I understand now why you sold it to me. Sleep

I listened to this album twice today as I travelled through Chicago in crap conditions from last night's snowfall, and I must also agree with the two of you, this album just isn't very good. I'm trying to get into it, and I just can't, with the exception of three/four songs.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Quote :
That Crom bored me two after 3 or 4 songs.

Sorry to hear that. I love that album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:31 pm

The new Theocracy seems to be faring well on everyone's lists on all the boards I visit.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Now we have to come up with the best ones from 2008 and do a new post for the albums for 2009 🤘

This year could be better than 2008. So far I know albums from
heaven and hell, saxon, ultimatum, tankard, and kreator.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 pm

2008 got me a huge list of must have.

So far these are the albums that I can mention

Whitesnake - Good To Be Bad
ac/dc - black ice
Theocracy - Mirror Of Souls
Ayreon - 01011001
Driver - Sons Of Thunder
Testament - The Formation of Damnation
motorhead - motorizer
journey - revelation
deliverance re-releases
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Alice Cooper-Along Came A Spider
Judas Priest-Nostradamus
Metallica-Death Magnetic
Jesse James Dupree and Dixie Inc.-Rev It Up And Go Go
Sevendust-Chapter 7: Hope and Sorrow
Motorhead-Motorizer
Whitesnake-Good To Be Bad
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 8:17 pm

what about JOP- Global Warning? I loved it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?   Favorite Release this year so far, 2008? - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Release this year so far, 2008?
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6