Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands

Go down 
+12
Tall Tyrion
Shiney
Fat Freddy
Invader
tohostudios
XYZ
SAHB Healer
TrogDawn
Troublezone
ultmetal
scottmitchell74
Mattallica667
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 am

spectrefate wrote:

What Ramones have you heard? I have heard like 12.

The Ramones are so much more than the music. The Ramones' sound is like a soft teddy bear on the edge of suicide. The power, the pleasure, the ying and the yang. Joey Ramone's sultry yet tough as nails delivery illustrates powerpop's glory days perfectly. Like a strong gravy, Ramones music sticks with you until the end of eternity. Memories of Machevellian days and wasted nights, the Ramones will remain one of the pantiarch of music perfection. Like the stylings of an angry Elvis Costello or the beauty of the the Gumballs "Dissident" album, the Ramones will forever be at the pinnacle of the proverbial powerpop heap.

Well, sh*t, I can't argue with THAT logic. (Kicks rock, takes ball, goes home)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 am

tohostudios wrote:
"pantiarch"?

I made up a couple words. Doesn't it make me seem smarter? Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:13 am

Quote :
The Ramones' sound is like a soft teddy bear on the edge of suicide.

This is the best analogy of my lifetime. Jeez, I'm moved beyond human expression. My feelings on that singular once-in-a-lifetime sentence trancends time and reality.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:14 am

I just figured out a pantiarch is probably a pantheon of patriarchs.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
The Ramones' sound is like a soft teddy bear on the edge of suicide.

This is the best analogy of my lifetime. Jeez, I'm moved beyond human expression. My feelings on that singular once-in-a-lifetime sentence trancends time and reality.

I didn't know teddy bears contemplated suicide. I thought only Tickle Me Elmo did.

scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:16 am

The wisdom expressed in this thread is startling. I'm starting to feel like that teddy-bear. Better to end my life now at this zenith of learning and expression than to carry on with what can only be a down-hill slide from here.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:16 am

tohostudios wrote:

I didn't know teddy bears contemplated suicide. I thought only Tickle Me Elmo did.

The suicidal one is actually called "Tickle Me EMO"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:17 am

lol!

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:49 am

ALICE COOPER
ROLLING STONES
HANOI ROCKS
MANIC STREET PREACHERS
DRIVIN' N' CRYIN'

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 am

When I saw Drivin n Cryin in CT, they actually sounded more like a metal band. Much heavier than their studio sound. This was on the Smoke tour.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 9:55 am

Never saw them live...but they have been a fave HR band of mine since I first heard their 'Scarred But Smarter" tape a zillion years ago....A sadly overlooked rock band there....

KEVN KINNEY's solo forays are great as well....

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:01 am

I don't like his solo stuff; too countrified.

But I have all the DnC albums. I got started with the songs Honeysuckle Blue, Whisper Tames The Lion and Scarred But Smarter when I lived in TN and listened to Vanderbilt's radio station. They played DnC all the time.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:31 am

tohostudios wrote:

No, that makes OTHER people contemplate suicide while Elmo just cackles evilly. Twisted Evil

Nice alliteration there, Spec. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mattallica667
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mattallica667

Number of posts : 89

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:55 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
No, everything is hard rock to you. Poseur. 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

311 = Metal

Burzum = Metal

Slayer = Inventors Of Metal

Don't speak to me of anyone else.

Whoa man, Slayer? Inventors of metal? No freakin' way. Don't you mean SABBATH - Inventors of metal?
Slayer's maybe the inventors of DEATH metal. Because I'm pretty sure it was Metallica who invented Thrash.

Anyway, here are my 5:

Zeppelin
AC/DC
Hendrix
The Who
Van Halen
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:56 am

Spec's been eating his smart pills this morning,oh wait those arent pills
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am

Mattallica667 wrote:

Don't you mean SABBATH - Inventors of metal?
Slayer's maybe the inventors of DEATH metal. Because I'm pretty sure it was Metallica who invented Thrash.

Who's been feeding you these lies?
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 am

Top 5

1. Led Zeppelin
>
>
>
>
2. Scorpions (70's)
>
>
3. Rainbow
4. Deep Purple
5. UFO
Back to top Go down
Mattallica667
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mattallica667

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Artists   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:50 am

spectrefate wrote:
Mattallica667 wrote:

Don't you mean SABBATH - Inventors of metal?

Who's been feeding you these lies?
Well who's been feeding YOU the idea that Slayer invented metal. Metal had been going on for about 13 years before Slayer. I like Slayer man, but they didn't invent metal and they'll never be as good as Sabbath.

R.I.P. Ozzy's Dignity

5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 927150
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 11:53 am

Mattallica667 wrote:

Well who's been feeding YOU the idea that Slayer invented metal. Metal had been going on for about 13 years before Slayer. I like Slayer man, but they didn't invent metal and they'll never be as good as Sabbath.

I never said Slayer invented metal.

13 years? Are you gonna stick with that?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm

It's interesting Slayer invented Death when they played thrash. Was that a side thing I missed?
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:32 pm

emptytomb1 wrote:
It's interesting Slayer invented Death when they played thrash. Was that a side thing I missed?

No, they just helped develop the extremely heavy, fast music that many death metal bands play. It's the same with Cream. They were a blues band that played with a heavy feeling in their music that eventually evolved into heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
Mattallica667
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mattallica667

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 6:33 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Mattallica667 wrote:

I never said Slayer invented metal.

13 years? Are you gonna stick with that?
Oh sorry man. Someone else said that. His name also starts with an S so I got you mixed up. And ya, I am gonna stick with that, because Slayer was around '82, and Zeppelin and Sabbath started in '69. :worthless:

cheers :dnd: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 543534 :montypython: spam grim reaper butt dance Twisted Evil crazy happy
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
scottmitchell74

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 pm

Quote :
Whoa man, Slayer? Inventors of metal? No freakin' way. Don't you mean SABBATH - Inventors of metal?

Rolling Eyes

Slayer = Fathers

311 = Zenith

All else = lame :defleppard:
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 am

KISS
Van Halen
Aerosmith
Def Leppard
Led Zeppelin
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 8:52 am

Aerosmith
Scorpions
Kiss
Alice Cooper
AC/DC
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands   5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5 Greatest Hard Rock Bands
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2