Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?

Go down 
+5
Temple of Blood
UltraMagnus007
ThrashedOutCobra33
Tall Tyrion
powermacho
9 posters
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Empty
PostSubject: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 4:03 pm

oK, You see old school metal bands going modern all the time, and every time they do it they loose most of their loyal fans, But at the same time they get the opportunity to grab some young kids to be their new fans; Which are plenty of them

There are many things to discus, and I would like to talk about everything.

ALBUM SALES: As we know we the ones that are considered the Old school guys buy the records from bands, but the young kids instead prefer on downloading the hits from the bands or just a song or 2 they like from the band. So the bands may sell less buy get more downloads from ITUNES!

GIGS:Whell this may be where these bands have their advantage, since they can have their concerts pack with young kids wanting to listen to the bands hit they heard on myspace or on TV

FAN LOYALTY If the band remains true to their sound, and do their best to have the most unique songs and to please their old school fans, they will also get other metalheads and new kids into it

Rather if they go POP, they will loose their loyal fans, and will only get the PoP Kids on their side. Even if the quantities of those kids are big it wont last, since a new style of music will be the new "what is hot on MTV"

Life from the band Could a band have a shorter life if they go POP? It would probably happen, since they would have to change style every 5 years, and all the FUN would get lost over the time. Rather if the band does what they like without pressure of what is popular at the moment, they will enjoy themselves and its FUN will remain for another couple of years.

SO WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT IT. WHY BANDS DARE TO DO IT IF THEY KNOW IN THE END THEIR MUSIC WILL SUCK? SALES ARE NOT LIKE THEY WHERE ON THE 90'S WHEN A FEW BANDS WHERE TRUE TO THEIR MUSIC
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm not as hung up as some on changing for the sake of change. If
you've got a sound that works for you, then go with it, but at the same
time, you wouldn't want to sound like you're parodying yourself either.

I like it when a band modernizes to a certain extent, but if they
completely change their sound, why not just start over with a new band
name? To me, a lot of bands that chase the modern trends to pick up
younger fans shoot themselves in the foot, because they lose a lot more
of the older fans.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 4:22 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
I'm not as hung up as some on changing for the sake of change. If
you've got a sound that works for you, then go with it, but at the same
time, you wouldn't want to sound like you're parodying yourself either.

of the older fans.

Couldnt of said it better
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 4:49 pm

of the older fans.[/quote]

I agree with this. If a band changes their style dramatically then I would rather they just change the band name and start again. This won't happen though as the band name will already be recognised and guarantee a few album sales.

This is a topic that can go either way. On the one hand I can completely understand when bands have been going for a long time that over time their style and sound will change. This is could be due to a number of things such as their own taste in music changing, becoming better musicians and better song writers and also the general change in the musical climate of the time. Hell when I started my metal journey I wouldn't listen to anything other than death/balck metal and my tastes have changed a lot over the years so I can understand bands whose taste changes. Also, and I know this comment will divide people, but bands will chase money and this is not always a bad thing. The more successful a band becomes and the more time and money they can devote to writing and touring and the longer they last.

The other side of this topic is that it can be incredibly frustrating when you discover a band you like only for a couple of albums later they sound nothing like what attracted you to them in the first place.

personally I think as long as the band I am listening to can write a good collection of songs I don't care anymore wether they sound like like they used to as long as I like what I am hearing.

A good example of this would be Paradise Lost. Anyone familiar with this band will understnd what when I say that this band seem to reinvent themselves with each album and have crossed styles sarting as a deth metal band then to a gothic metal band a la sisters of mercy then to a depeche mode sounding band and back to gothic metal. The band have alays claimed the reason for their change is simply that their tastes and influences have changed although the cynic could say they were chasing commercial sucess. Through it all I have found each one of their albums enjoyable as they really know how to write a good song.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Just write good songs.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28456

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:06 pm

It depends.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I dont mind when bands change their sound because if they just kept playing the same things they did on their previous albums then its like why bother listening to them theyr just going to make the same album they did last time. Like a thing I read the other day about the new Dragonforce album where they said it pretty much sounds like the last album. I read that and im thinking great I liked the last album but your last album sounded like the one before that and so on and so on. I even get mixed up sometimes when I listen to them cause their songs sound so a like. Another band is Hammer Fall they were so repeatative their last couple of albums I could barely listen to it. Thankfully with their best of album they recorded some new songs and even though the change in their sound is very minor it gives me hope that their new album will be something a little different.

One thing im not too crazy about is for example Sonata Arctica known for their fast paced songs put out their last album Unia and to me that was a huge shock not to have one fast song or anything to remind you why you like them so much. It felt like all the energy was gone. Same thing with Stratovarius their last album not one double bass through the whole thing. Im not saying it all has to be doube bass all the time but if thats how your band has been and is known for then you have to leave that little something in there somewhere because thats what makes your band what it is. If a band is going to change to be more modern I think it should be done little by little through each album and not drastically right away.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:45 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Just write good songs.

Best post ever.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28456

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Just write good songs.

Good point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 12:37 am

"The other side of this topic is that it can be incredibly frustrating when you discover a band you like only for a couple of albums later they sound nothing like what attracted you to them in the first place.

personally I think as long as the band I am listening to can write a good collection of songs I don't care anymore wether they sound like like they used to as long as I like what I am hearing.
"

I totally agree on that. I recently heard what deff lepard is doing with the country kind of style, and I love it.

I see many bands going back to their sound, but there are others that seemed to be afraid of doing it.

I think with the help from the Internet, bands don't need TV or RADIO exposure in order to make new fan base.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 12:38 am

ultmetal wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Just write good songs.

Best post ever.
agreed... that's the most important thing.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?   IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IS it better for a band to remain their sound or go MODERN?
Page 1 of 1