Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)

Go down 
+2
mc666
DallasBlack
6 posters

Soilwork
Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_lcap38%Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_rcap
 38% [ 3 ]
In Flames
Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_lcap13%Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Can't Choose
Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_lcap13%Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_rcap
 13% [ 1 ]
Neither, they should have kept their old sound
Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_lcap38%Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Vote_rcap
 38% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Empty
PostSubject: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 am

Both of these bands started as melodic death metal along with Arch Enemy and Dark Tranquillity. While AE and DT have pretty much stuck to their guns, Soilwork and In Flames have modernized their sound in recent years. Now I will admit I haven't listened to much In Flames (at least not as much as Soilwork), but as far as the more modern sound I like Soilwork more. Not saying In Flames is bad, I plan on getting something from them in the near future, but from what I've heard, I like Soilwork more (that could change when I have heard more of their material . While I love Figure Number Five, I think they did their best work on Natural Born Chaos (mainly because they mixed the old sound and the new real well and the guitar solos had more meat on them then in FNF). How about everyone else, which do you prefer?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 8:52 am

i haven't liked a Soilwork since Steelbath Suicide. i liked only the first 3 In Flames albums. as for either bands recent works, i'll pass.

i won't say that they should have kept their old sound. i'll just say that i'm uninterested in their new modern rock oriented material.

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2007 3:24 pm

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I love both bands, both eras. What I will always find funny is that early Soilwork and In Flames is just typical by-the-books melodic death metal, there's nothing separating them from the rest of the genre. Once both bands began to evolve and create their own sound, their own niche within the overcrowded genre, everyone called them sellouts. I just don't understand that. You put on Natural Born Chaos and you know it's Soilwork, but put on Steelbath Suicide and it's not so obvious anymore. Same goes for In Flames.

I love melodic death metal, and both bands' early material, but I dig the catchier, groovier material far more. That's just me, though. I came to the melodeath stuff late in the game (around 1999/2000, while I was in Korea), so that may have something to do with it.

I was ironic and chose "Can't Choose."
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 1:34 am

in flames is one of my favourite bands, i love almost all of their material, soilwork on the other hand, havent got into them. Ever
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 9:05 am

Like 'em both, love In Flames. Soilwork is a little hit or miss with me, but In Flames have only disapointed me once.

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 am

Eyesore wrote:
What I will always find funny is that early Soilwork and In Flames is just typical by-the-books melodic death metal

I disagree with this. Soilwork's first releases, at least the one I heard (I traded that one) is as you said typical by-the-books melodic death metal, but the first In Flames is not that obvious because back then the melodic death metal scene wasn't as flooded as when Soilwork came out, you know after At the Gates' 'Slaughter of the Soul', and In Flames' first album sounds different in my book. Anyway I don't care too much for these two bands nowadays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 11:19 am

min wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
What I will always find funny is that early Soilwork and In Flames is just typical by-the-books melodic death metal
I disagree with this. Soilwork's first releases, at least the one I heard (I traded that one) is as you said typical by-the-books melodic death metal, but the first In Flames is not that obvious because back then the melodic death metal scene wasn't as flooded as when Soilwork came out, you know after At the Gates' 'Slaughter of the Soul', and In Flames' first album sounds different in my book. Anyway I don't care too much for these two bands nowadays.
There were plenty of bands doing the same thing, it just wasn't yet a big deal everywhere.
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Neither, cause I never really liked either of them.

...and I would think the poll would be bewteen At the Gates and In Flames, as Soilwork was a late-comer in the genre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:23 pm

AchrisK wrote:
...and I would think the poll would be bewteen At the Gates and In Flames, as Soilwork was a late-comer in the genre.
Yeah, but At The Gates now and In Flames now aren't really the same.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 5:29 pm

I don't think I've ever heard Soilwork, and the only In Flames disc I ever really liked was CLAYMAN so I guess I have nothing to contribute to this discussion..

I'll just go now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2007 12:50 am

Eyesore wrote:
AchrisK wrote:
Yeah, but At The Gates now and In Flames now aren't really the same.
very true.. At The Gates bowed out on a high note.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound)   Soilwork or In Flames (modern sound) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1