Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away

Go down 
+6
rattpoison
mc666
MetalGuy71
Todd Jaymz
krokus
Fat Freddy
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Empty
PostSubject: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Just saw this on Blabbermouth. I have only vague memories of Phantom Blue but if memory serves they were a pretty good band. Either way this is a shame because she's leaving such a young child behind. R.I.P.

Former PHANTOM BLUE Guitarist MICHELLE MELDRUM Dies - May 21, 2008

BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received word that former PHANTOM BLUE guitarist Michelle Meldrum — who has spent the past few years as the leader of her own band called MELDRUM — has died as a result of possible cerebral/brain hemorrhage (although the exact cause of death has not yet been determined/revealed). No further details are currently available.
Michelle Meldrum was born in Detroit, Michigan to a family of musicians and actors, and moved to Los Angeles, California at the age of 13. She started her career in music by forming the thrash metal band WARGOD with drummer Gene Hoglan (DARK ANGEL, DEATH, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD), then moved on to become both co-founder and lead guitarist in PHANTOM BLUE. PHANTOM BLUE released its self-titled debut album on Shrapnel Records in the U.S. (Roadrunner in Europe and Japan) and eventually landed a major label deal with Geffen.
While her career flourished, Michelle married EUROPE guitarist John Norum and moved to Sweden to form MELDRUM. After many successful tours with such acts as MOTÖRHEAD and BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, she reunited with Gene in 2006 when he appeared as a guest on MELDRUM album and events. Inspired to once again collaborate, Michelle moved back to America where she and Gene began writing the third MELDRUM album together.
Michelle Meldrum leaves behind a three-year-old son named Jake Thomas (father is EUROPE guitarist John Norum).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:13 pm

Wow that completely sucks.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:16 pm

Yes, that sucks a lot, specialy for her son and JOHN NORUM. Anyway, i am playing the first PHANTOM BLUE album that i still love today very much.
Back to top Go down
Todd Jaymz
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Sad:( PB is a great rock listen!!-TJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:42 pm

Here's how I know that I am at least partially emotionally bankrupt. My first thought was "that really sucks". My next thought was "maybe they will reissue the first Meldrum album so I can get a copy of it".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:47 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Here's how I know that I am at least partially emotionally bankrupt. My first thought was "that really sucks". My next thought was "maybe they will reissue the first Meldrum album so I can get a copy of it".

I don't think it means you're emotionally bankrupt. It just means you'd have a future in the music business. Right now there's probably some record label schmuck sitting at his desk thinking the same exact thing!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 12:51 pm

Wow. That is shocking news.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 1:02 pm

she was so young, how sad. the last Meldrum album was great. i'll have to dig it out & play it in honor.

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 2:03 pm

mc666 wrote:
the last Meldrum album was great. i'll have to dig it out & play it in honor.

Was thinking the same when I was reading the news.

Last edited by Locky on Wed May 21, 2008 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 3:46 pm

Well, Blabbermouth may have jumped the gun a little when they posted the original news article... (which wouldn't be the first time they've done that!)...it appears that Ms. Meldrum is NOT dead, at least not yet... now Blab reports that she's in a coma and an "official update" on her condition will be coming from the family within the next 24 hours.

Kinda weird, but I hope for her son's sake that she does pull thru somehow.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Well that is awesome news. Smile

Once again, Blabbermouth.net. Where facts matter........sometimes.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 7:01 pm

I hope she pulls through, i've been hearing alot about her band Meldrum lately so it's even more shocking (as opposed to someone who hasn't been around a while in music).

Phantom Blue were sadly one of the few all girl heavy metal bands that brought it.

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Sad news indeed hope she pulls thru, they were in the process of recording a new cd!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 9:10 pm

i'm glad to hear she's still with us. i hope she recovers.

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 11:00 pm

I still need the debut Phantom Blue disc. Someone send it to me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 6:31 am

she's officially dead now i guess.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 9:05 am

mc666 wrote:
she's officially dead now i guess.

Apparently so.

Guitarist MICHELLE MELDRUM Passes Away At Age 39 - May 22, 2008

On Sunday, May 18, Michelle Meldrum, leader of the band MELDRUM and former PHANTOM BLUE guitarist, was rushed to St. Joseph's Hospital in Burbank, California in critical condition. Three days later — yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, May 21) — she passed away as a result of a cystic growth on her brain that had restricted oxygen and blood flow to her brain, rendering her braindead.

Michelle had just completed writing and recording MELDRUM's soon-to-be-released third album with drummer Gene Hoglan, along with the group's latest additions, Michele Madden (vocals) and Laura Christine (bass). The surviving bandmembers plan to release the CD later this year in tribute to their fallen bandmate.

Those who knew Michelle recognize that she lived every moment for the music and was regarded as both an exceptional guitarist and a nurturer by her associates, friends, family and son.

Meldrum, 39, is survived by her parents and three-year-old son Jake Thomas (father is EUROPE guitarist John Norum). Her family and bandmembers appreciate all the support that has been shown over the past few days through this trying time. A memorial tribute benefit will be announced in the following weeks.

Michelle's former PHANTOM BLUE bandmate Linda McDonald, who played on MELDRUM's 2007 CD "Blowin' Up The Machine", commented: "Michelle passed away about 6:00 p.m. this evening [Wednesday, May 21] at the hospital. It comes as a complete shock and the impact will be felt by so many. She was a one of a kind and will be sorely missed. I don't really know what to say right now. Thank you for your prayers. I'm sure she heard them all. It is a very sad, sad day."

Michelle Meldrum was born on September 28, 1968 in Detroit, Michigan to a family of musicians and actors, and moved to Los Angeles, California at the age of 13. She started her career in music by forming the thrash metal band WARGOD with drummer Gene Hoglan (DARK ANGEL, DEATH, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD), then moved on to become both co-founder and lead guitarist in PHANTOM BLUE. PHANTOM BLUE released its self-titled debut album on Shrapnel Records in the U.S. (Roadrunner in Europe and Japan) and eventually landed a major label deal with Geffen.

While her career flourished, Michelle married EUROPE guitarist John Norum and moved to Sweden to form MELDRUM. After many successful tours with such acts as MOTÖRHEAD and BLACK LABEL SOCIETY, she reunited with Gene in 2006 when he appeared as a guest on MELDRUM album and events. Inspired to once again collaborate, Michelle moved back to America where she and Gene began writing the third MELDRUM album together.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 9:06 am

One bright note is that she accomplished alot musically in her short years here on Earth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 1:33 pm

spectrefate wrote:
One bright note is that she accomplished alot musically in her short years here on Earth.
And got little recognition for it, sadly.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 1:39 pm

Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away L_17d8553c2601e95f74a58f724abe11ab

Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2008 11:56 pm

Truly sad. I will pray for her family.

Phantom Blue and Meldrum were solid bands...

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 1:13 am

Eyesore wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
And got little recognition for it, sadly.

Little recognition but musical influence no doubt (which is all that really matters).

I wouldn't be far off saying those couple of Phantom Blue records had a big impact on the formative Donnas. I mean L7 wouldn't have been the only band from the late 80's/early 90's that was having their way with the playlists of those gurlz.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 10:26 am

I'm familiar with her work in Phantom Blue, but what does Meldrum sound like? Is it in the same vein as PB? Hard rock? Metal?
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2008 11:07 am

I never really heard Phantom Blue (I knew about them but I just never checked them out) but it is indeed sad to hear somone passing away at a fairly young age.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away   Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michelle Meldrum (Phantom Blue guitarist) Passes Away
Page 1 of 1