Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Phantom Blue!

Go down 
+11
TheGreatDuck
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
jstate
metalken
JBall_Z
adrian
Fat Freddy
nevermore
DallasBlack
ultmetal
15 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 pm

Any fans?

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

Here, here! I got their s/t for a very low price (especially considering the going price on Amazon). Those chicks were no softies, pure heavy metal!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25796

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:28 pm

I have Built To Perform. I'd love to find the first one on cd. I always liked them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Never heard much of 'em back in the day but I definitely like what I hear in those YouTubes!! Will have to seek out some of their stuff.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:39 pm

The debut goes for around $50. I was lucky to find it used for $8.99.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:40 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
The debut goes for around $50.

Ouch!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Never had heard of them, good stuff!
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 12:36 pm

I have Built To Perform. I listened to it once or twice. I wasn't hooked. However, it's been well over a year - maybe even two - since I listened to it, so I'll give it another spin. I might like it more this time.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:16 pm

Being a Shrapnel fan in the late eighties, the s/t was purchased for sure when it came out. One of my favourites from the label releases. Sadly the tape is no longer in my possession.

Great band. Didn't rally follow them after the first one though. Heard the Geffen release, did not catch my ears, though the Lizzy cover is great.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 2:54 pm

I love the s/t and Never Too Late should have been a huge hit. But Built To Perform is one killer album all the way through.

For any one who is looking for the s/t keep an eye on amazon. It lists for a high price but occasionally one will pop up in a much lower price range. It also doesn't appear to be an album the bootleggers are onto.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 10:22 am

I have Built to Perform. I guess it's ok...for a buncha girls. Razz

I owned this cd, go rid of it, then got it again when I found a copy at a flea market for a buck or 2. I should give it a fresh spin. It's been awhile, but I don't recall it being anything all that exciting.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I just learned that John Norum of Europe was married to their guitar player.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I just learned that John Norum of Europe was married to their guitar player.

Yup, that sounds about right. I think Marty Friedman plays a solo or 2 on the Built To Perform album, which probably piqued my interest in the first place. Did he produce it too? I don't remember

Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2012 1:52 pm

Sounds like a female Leatherwolf...Maybe a bit heavier.
Back to top Go down
TheseGoTo11
Metal novice
Metal novice
TheseGoTo11

Number of posts : 33

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 3:25 am

First time I heard this, it reminded me of an all female version of 'Dogman-era' King's X
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 am

I pulled out my copy of Built to Perform for some fresh airing this week. I'll see if my opinion has changed much with a new spin or 2.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2014 11:24 pm

great band...some of the members formed Meldrum

Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 3:24 am

The debut album is a monster! Such a great album. "Why Call it Love" got some heavy rotation on MTV Europe back in the day - awesome power-ballad, Gigi had some serious pipes!

Never really got into Built to Perform - too alternative-y for my taste. Plus you can clearly feel the absence of Nicole's guitar work.

Michelle Meldrum was married to John Norum, but sadly she has passed away in 2008 due to brain tumor... RIP
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 8:51 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
great band...some of the members formed Meldrum

I got one of their CDs for about $5 at a used CD store (actually it turned out to be a promo copy). Not bad, though nowhere near as good as Phantom Blue was.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Bought “ Built To Perform “ - heavy guitar work. Good studio recording sound. Wild women rock.
If you like Girlschool - imagine that band - drunk on whiskey ! Kind of reckless with an attitude.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Phantom Blue! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Phantom Blue!   Phantom Blue! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Phantom Blue!
Page 1 of 1