Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the Cult

Go down 
+2
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Here's a band that evokes mixed feelings in a lot of people. Do we have any Cult fans here?

I LOVE the cult. I have all of their albums and some rare things (which they oddly have a lot of). I prefer their Love-Ceremony material, but I think it's all good. They've definetely been all over the map in their career, with the only (sort of) consistency from 87-91. I think their new album is also pretty cool. "Citizens" and "Sound of Destruction" are cool tunes. Billy Duffy found a pretty cool guitar tone on this album (but not as cool as on Love).

What do you guys think of them?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Quote :
Do we have any Cult fans here?

Nope. But we have a few here...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/it-s-only-rock-n-roll-f8/the-cult-t213.htm?highlight=cult
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Do you really want to resurrect threads that are more than a year old?

Personally, if it's that old, I'd rather start reading a fresh thread as opposed to going through several pages of ancient comments (some of which could be by people who no longer even post here).

It really is getting to the point where I'm afraid to start ANY threads for fear of invoking the wrath of the Thread Nazis. "Hey, we had this thread 3 years ago. Why'd you start a new one?"

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 5:57 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Personally, if it's that old, I'd rather start reading a fresh thread as opposed to going through several pages of ancient comments (some of which could be by people who no longer even post here).

It really is getting to the point where I'm afraid to start ANY threads for fear of invoking the wrath of the Thread Nazis. "Hey, we had this thread 3 years ago. Why'd you start a new one?"

I don't care. I typically do it if I've already replied in a previous thread and don't feel like repeating myself. And to annoy others. Mostly that, really.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Anyway, in answer to the original question, I like the Cult a lot. My favorite is Beyond Good and Evil but really I like them all. Except for the newest one "Born Into This". That CD just didn't click with me.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 pm

I've only ever heard Sonic Temple and Ceremony
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:54 pm

DeathCult wrote:

You should check out Beyond Good and Evil. It's much heavier than typical Cult. The song Rise is flat out heavy metal.

You can pick this CD up used at Amazon for less than $5 including shipping!

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 6:59 pm

"Electric" is my favorite....

second would be "Southern Death Cult"

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:02 pm

Electric is my second favorite. It contains the classic "triple shot", "Wild Flower", "Peace Dog" and "Lil Devil".

DeathCult

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

You should check out Beyond Good and Evil. It's much heavier than typical Cult. The song Rise is flat out heavy metal.

I'll check it out. For the record though, I wasnt a huge fan of Ceremony.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:04 pm

DeathCult wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Me either. And Sonic Temple is only OK in my book.

DeathCult

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:
DeathCult wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Me either. And Sonic Temple is only OK in my book.

I completely agree, I thought both were sub-par which is why I never bothered to get anything else, and gave away the tapes
Back to top Go down

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:28 pm

Have any of you ever heard some of the Manor Sessions material? It's the original recording of Electric (which was to be called Peace). It's like 3/4 of the songs from Electric (with some other ones) done in an odd, but really wicked, style of Love meets Electric. It sounds like psychedelic AC/DC. I have a few tunes from it, but I'm still looking for a full copy (which is one the 6cd box set Rare Cult....royal pain in the ass to find....unless you want to pay several hundred dollars on Ebay).
Back to top Go down

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:35 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Unfortunately when people continue to create threads about things once discussed, the new threads garner very little in terms of conversation. I like to discuss music, not read a bunch of comments that say "I like them!" or "Great band!"

And that's what generally happens. If you compare most original threads to the current, the original has people talking with more passion and depth. Who cares if it's a year old? I'd rather read something interesting, something that says something more than "I like it."

For instance, Shiney's reply here:

Quote :
"Electric" is my favorite....

second would be "Southern Death Cult"
His reply in the other, older thread:

Quote :
"LOVE" is a really good album...there was still a good bit of gothic overtone leftfrom their 'SOUTHERN DEATH CULT" days but a little more rockin'

"ELECTRIC"...the defining CUT cd, (IMO)...a bit of AC/DC rifftastic swagger...The Morrison sruttiness of the vocals...just a great cd.

"SONIC TEMPLE" their breakthrough cd...has th hits...the MTV support....the polished production...

"CEREMONY"...okay...a little more commercial...same safe polish...a bit blah.
Quote :
They are fantastic live....

Waylon & I saw them in summer of 1988 (opening for METALLICA) and they were awesome.

Unfortunately most of the METALLICA fans were a bit too closed minded to appreciate them and threw cans and trash at them and they played a short set.

They were very good though!
No one likes to repeat themselves.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 7:59 pm

I hold exactly the opposite opinion.

For one thing, that original thread contained opinions that were over a year old. Do you know how much my opinions of a song or band can change in a year?

Secondly, as I said before, I don't want to read through pages and pages of ancient comments to get the flow of a thread. I don't think reviving a year old thread is going to get anyone who's already commented to add to it or embellish their original comments anyway. They'll just skip it as ancient history. However, if a new thread is started, someone might at least chime in.

As a personal rule of thumb, if I want to start a thread, I look to see if there's been a similar or same thread in the past six months or so. If so, I'll add to it. If not, I start a new one.

Unless the board I'm posting on has a rule that says NEVER duplicate a thread EVER. And I haven't seen that here.

Last edited by tohostudios on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:01 pm

BTW,

I know this is one of your pet peeves Eyesore but I think insisting on resurrecting year old threads rather than starting a new one is going to the extreme.

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:
BTW,

I know this is one of your pet peeves Eyesore but I think insisting on resurrecting year old threads rather than starting a new one is going to the extreme.
When the forum discussions suck, you might think otherwise. I've seen it happen. It's happening here already.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
BTW,

When the forum discussions suck, you might think otherwise. I've seen it happen. It's happening here already.

It might suck less if the Thread Police chilled a little. Nothing kills a thread faster than a link saying "we already talked about this." Nevermind that it was more than a year ago.

Besides, one thread does not a point make.

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Maybe for you, but in a year, you might see the change. This forum was very different when I first joined. I'm not trying to be a dick here, but I've been visiting forums since about 1996 (a BBS back then), and I've seen it happen time and time again. It's got nothing to do with the Thread Police chilling out; it's got to do with the simple fact the people don't want to repeat themselves. There have already been threads started by people who then complain that no one is responding in that thread. Well, that's because there's three threads on the same subject out there.

The point of this particular thread is: What do you guys think of [The Cult]?

Well, if that person is truly interested in that, many answers can be found in that other thread—which, by the way, might have been started a year ago, but it was last updated just in October.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm not going to argue this anymore. Unless a mod or admin tells me otherwise, I'm going to use my personal rule. If I don't find a thread on the same topic that originated in the past 6 months, I'm starting a new one.

Feel free to post your ancient link if you must.

BTW, I may be new to this board but I'm hardly new to message boards in general. On some boards, people who resurrect old threads to post a new opinion get totally FLAMED.

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 10:50 pm

I will never understand why some people need to post their own thread. It's like they enjoy some weird form of ownership over it. I embrace the concept of community, so I will respectfully disagree with the concept of starting new threads on subjects that are out there for you to read already.
Back to top Go down

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 12:30 am

Damn, sorry guys.

I'm new to forums, and so I'm not familiar with all of this. I'll check ahead of time from now on.
Back to top Go down

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 1:37 am

Quote :
I will never understand why some people need to post their own thread.
I rarely start threads. I have have too much fun goofing on other posters threads.

I say too each their own. Our government is oppressive enough for all of us.
Back to top Go down

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
I will never understand why some people need to post their own thread.
I rarely start threads. I have have too much fun goofing on other posters threads.

I say too each their own. Our government is oppressive enough for all of us.
Hey, I'm not angry at anyone for posting their own threads; I simply think that for the sake of the community that is Heart of Metal, it's respectful to bump old threads. It says that you care a little bit about the subject and the words of those that took the time to share them. Why ask everyone what their opinion is of The Cult, when a good number of them have already answered that question in another thread?

Some people, of course, might not know about the search function; but it's unfortunate that so many people get angry whenever an old thread is linked in a reply. Post what you want; but when the replies are meaningless drivel or people just goofing off, don't get mad.
Back to top Go down

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:02 am

Quote :
but when the replies are meaningless drivel or people just goofing off, don't get mad.
That is 99% of my posts! I am just glad this thing has spell-checker, so I don't look like 100% idiot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

the Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: the Cult   the Cult Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the Cult
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next