Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Cult

Go down 
+5
brontotex
candlemass
mc666
Shiney
MetalGuy71
9 posters
AuthorMessage

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 7:19 pm

I have liked these guys forever and ever. For some reason I never owned anything by them. I think the singer has a great voice, and I really like the guitarists style of playing. I have no idea where to being though. I like all the hits they have, which record is a good start? 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 7:53 pm

"High Octane Cult" is a greatest hits of sort. It's a fairly good overview of their work, so that's not a bad place to start.

"Sonic Temple" was probably their biggest cd, with the hits Fire Woman and Edie (Ciao Baby).

After they broke up for a while in the 90's, they re-united and released "Beyond Good & Evil", which was a really great comeback album.

They rest of their albums are all pretty good IMO, but you can't go wrong with any of those 3 mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 8:03 pm

"LOVE" is a really good album...there was still a good bit of gothic overtone leftfrom their 'SOUTHERN DEATH CULT" days but a little more rockin'

"ELECTRIC"...the defining CUT cd, (IMO)...a bit of AC/DC rifftastic swagger...The Morrison sruttiness of the vocals...just a great cd.

"SONIC TEMPLE" their breakthrough cd...has th hits...the MTV support....the polished production...

"CEREMONY"...okay...a little more commercial...same safe polish...a bit blah.

I stopped following after that...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Shiney wrote:
"LOVE" is a really good album...there was still a good bit of gothic overtone leftfrom their 'SOUTHERN DEATH CULT" days but a little more rockin'

"ELECTRIC"...the defining CUT cd, (IMO)...a bit of AC/DC rifftastic swagger...The Morrison sruttiness of the vocals...just a great cd.

"SONIC TEMPLE" their breakthrough cd...has th hits...the MTV support....the polished production...

"CEREMONY"...okay...a little more commercial...same safe polish...a bit blah.

I stopped following after that...

I lost interest in them too after "Ceremony". They released a selt-titled cd with a ram on the cover that I had for awhile before trading it away. It wasn't until I saw them on their re-union tour that I got interested again and picked up "Beyond...". That led me to re-listening to their back catalog.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2007 8:12 pm

They are fantastic live....

Waylon & I saw them in summer of 1988 (opening for METALLICA) and they were awesome.

Unfortunately most of the METALLICA fans were a bit too closed minded to appreciate them and threw cans and trash at them and they played a short set.

They were very good though!

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 12:57 am

i liked love & sonic termple a bit, but never got totally into them.

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 1:02 am

I just video taped a show here in Cleveland of "Sonic Temple", Cult tribute, I know the singer, so I taped it for him. I like some of their stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 7:53 am

"Electric" is a great album.

I saw Ian Astbury with The Doors a couple of years ago. He did an outstanding job.
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 8:29 am

Shiney wrote:
They are fantastic live....

Waylon & I saw them in summer of 1988 (opening for METALLICA) and they were awesome.

Unfortunately most of the METALLICA fans were a bit too closed minded to appreciate them and threw cans and trash at them and they played a short set.

They were very good though!

RIGHT ON!! They were EXCELLENT that day!🤘 It IS too bad the majority of the other Metallica fans there that day had to be such JERKS!! ...as it caused the CULT to "walk off" early. As I recall, Ian cursed out the crowd, threw down the mic, and stormed off...angry
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 8:32 am

I have Beyond Good and Evil and it doesn't have one bad song!!🤘 🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2007 9:12 am

Quote :
"High Octane Cult" is a greatest hits of sort. It's a fairly good overview of their work, so that's not a bad place to start.

That's the only one I own...good Hard Rock band...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 4:08 pm

The Cult is an amazing band, and I hear that they're finally going to start work on a new album this year now that Ian has quit wasting his time fronting the "Doors of the 21st Century" or "Riders on the Storm" or whatever they were calling themselves....BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL was an amazing comeback record and I've been waiting impatiently for a follow up ever since...

I saw them opening for Metallica in the summer of '89 (at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ) and unfortunately they sucked that night. Ian was apparently drunk out of his mind, kept blowing lyrics, stumbling all over the place, eventually he just laid down on the drum riser while the band played around him. (He said something to the effect of "You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little f**ked up tonight...") I learned later that by that point in the tour they had grown tired of being abused by the Metallica crowds so they had basically given up trying. Kinda pissed me off cuz I was actually there to see BOTH bands. So I love'em on record, but I never paid $$ to see The Cult live ever again
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeThu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
The Cult is an amazing band, and I hear that they're finally going to start work on a new album this year now that Ian has quit wasting his time fronting the "Doors of the 21st Century" or "Riders on the Storm" or whatever they were calling themselves....BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL was an amazing comeback record and I've been waiting impatiently for a follow up ever since...

I saw them opening for Metallica in the summer of '89 (at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ) and unfortunately they sucked that night. Ian was apparently drunk out of his mind, kept blowing lyrics, stumbling all over the place, eventually he just laid down on the drum riser while the band played around him. (He said something to the effect of "You'll have to excuse me, I'm a little f**ked up tonight...") I learned later that by that point in the tour they had grown tired of being abused by the Metallica crowds so they had basically given up trying. Kinda pissed me off cuz I was actually there to see BOTH bands. So I love'em on record, but I never paid $$ to see The Cult live ever again

I'm glad they are going to give it another go, though... I would've like to have seen Ian with RIDERS ON THE STORM. I've always been a big DOORS fan, so that would've been cool!! 🤘

AND, I see you must've seen them RIGHT AFTER Shiney and I did. From what happened the day we saw them, I'm not AT ALL surprised by what happened when you saw them... The Cult 927150
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 12:58 pm

The Cult's new album, BORN INTO THIS, is due out soon... has anyone heard the new single, "Dirty Little Rock Star" on the radio yet? Sounds pretty good. I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Not heard it yet, but I'd buy it. The last one I loved!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Shiney said:
"ELECTRIC"...the defining CUT cd, (IMO)...a
bit of AC/DC rifftastic swagger...The Morrison sruttiness of the
vocals...just a great cd.

...and I totally agree...these are the two I play the most. 🤘
Back to top Go down

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am

I like the Cult but never got huge into them. I have love, Sonic Temple, Beyond Good and Evil, and High Octane Cult. I really should get some more of them though shouldn't?

Slightly off-topic but speaking of the Cult getting a hard time from Metallica fans... I saw COC with Metallica during the Load tour, and there was hardly anyone there when COC was playing and as soon as they ripped into my favorite song (Long Whip/Big America) someone threw a bottle at Pepper and clear as day (keep in mind this was a large basketball arena) someone right up front looks him in the face and says get off the stage you guys suck. They threw down their stuff and walked off mid my favorite song. Sad
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 4:33 pm

I've recently picked up the Cult's new one, BORN INTO THIS, and it's pretty good... not as mind blowing as I'd hoped, though. It's closer to the stripped-down sound of ELECTRIC than the over-produced, overblown vibe of SONIC TEMPLE or BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL, which is fine of course, but so far other than the single "Dirty Little Rockstar" a lot of it is just going in one ear and out the other. I've only listened to it three or four times though so maybe I need to give it more time to sink in.
Back to top Go down

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 6:13 pm

I never could get into this band. Astbury's voice bugs me for some reason, I think. Either that or I simply don't like their hit songs. There's just something about them that I never liked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Cult Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Cult   The Cult Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cult
Page 1 of 1