Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Very interesting thrash documentary

Go down 
+6
Lari
Troublezone
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

Very interesting thrash documentary Empty
PostSubject: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 5:48 am

Not sure when this was released, but it seems pretty new - it actually features some new and refreshing perspectives/information compared to other run-of-the-mill specials I have seen over the years - at least to me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 9:07 am

Ahh yes, "Murder In The Front Row" is a great doc, I watched it (for the 3rd time) just a few nights ago. It was released in 2019. There's not much in it that long time thrash fans wouldn't already know, but it's a cool trip down memory lane.

If you want a doc that digs even deeper into the San Fran/Bay Area scene, seek out the 2-part "Bay Area Godfathers" documentary (from the same team as the "Inside Metal" series), it introduced me to quite a few bands from the early S.F. scene that I'd never heard before like Griffin and Steele.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25801

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2023 10:30 am

Murder In The Front Row is really good! I bought the dvd for it when it was released. And the Bay Area Godfathers that FF mentioned are well worth watching too!

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 10:16 am

I've had it on DVD for a couple of years. It's a great documentary. As many musicians from that scene that were on it, there were still a few missing. I felt like it could have been even a bit longer.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 12:29 pm

Is there an in depth documentary about crossover thrash? If not, I’d like to see one made.

A few notable names:

SOD
Suicidal Tendencies
DRI
Cro-Mags
COC
Crumbsuckers
Cryptic Slaughter
Discharge

I’d personally add The Crucified, but they weren’t secular.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 15, 2023 12:54 pm

I don't think I've seen this. Not sure though. I will put it on my list and watch tonight or Friday or one of these nights.

I watched Death Angel's Thrashumentary a couple of months back.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 12:46 pm

I still haven't seen this. I guess I should though!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2023 6:05 pm

Too much of it was about Metallica.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2023 1:19 pm

Lari wrote:

Laughing very hard
Considering they are actually an El Lay band makes that hilariously funny don\'t know

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2023 2:13 pm

James B. wrote:
Lari wrote:

Laughing very hard
Considering they are actually an El Lay band makes that hilariously funny don\'t know

They want everyone to forget that part. Razz

They would have stayed in LA if it wasn’t for Cliff’s ultimatum.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2023 2:17 pm

L.A. gets a bad rap. There was a handful of great metal/thrash that came from there. Heavy hitters! I actually prefer these bands over the Bay area bands. Exodus is the biggest draw for the Bay, followed by Testament and Death Angel. Forbidden and Vio-lence were good, but they didn’t make a big enough splash and expand beyond the mid-level range.

L.A. (heavy hitters)

Slayer
Megadeth
Suicidal Tendencies
Dark Angel (mid-level, but very influential)
Metallica (in the beginning)
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeTue Mar 21, 2023 3:19 pm

Cool heads up !
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2023 8:37 am

Troublezone wrote:
L.A. gets a bad rap. There was a handful of great metal/thrash that came from there. Heavy hitters! I actually prefer these bands over the Bay area bands. Exodus is the biggest draw for the Bay, followed by Testament and Death Angel. Forbidden and Vio-lence were good, but they didn’t make a big enough splash and expand beyond the mid-level range.

L.A. (heavy hitters)

Slayer
Megadeth
Suicidal Tendencies

Agent Steel was a killer L.A Thrash/Speed Metal outfit!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2023 11:26 am

Troublezone wrote:

L.A. (heavy hitters)

Slayer
Megadeth
Suicidal Tendencies

I love Death Angel, Testament and Heathen. All in my top 10 thrash metal bands. Slayer is in the same league, but the others I'm not that much in love with. I only have one Dark Angel CD. Metallica had a good run (one good album less than what Heathen has!).
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2023 12:45 pm

Good documentary and the companion book is also worth a look.

https://www.bazillionpoints.com/books/murder-in-the-front-row-by-brian-umlaut-lew-harald-o-oimoen/
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2023 1:04 pm

Lari wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

L.A. (heavy hitters)

Slayer
Megadeth
Suicidal Tendencies

I love Death Angel, Testament and Heathen. All in my top 10 thrash metal bands. Slayer is in the same league, but the others I'm not that much in love with. I only have one Dark Angel CD. Metallica had a good run (one good album less than what Heathen has!).

There’s nothing wrong with the Bay bands, I just prefer the SoCal groups overall. Opinions will always vary. And Testament has always been my favorite Bay Area band. They are still going strong to this day! My main point is that the L.A. metal had a bad rap because of the glam metal era.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2023 12:06 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Good documentary and the companion book is also worth a look.

https://www.bazillionpoints.com/books/murder-in-the-front-row-by-brian-umlaut-lew-harald-o-oimoen/

thanks for the heads up headbanger

PostSubject: Re: Very interesting thrash documentary   Very interesting thrash documentary Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Very interesting thrash documentary
Page 1 of 1