Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset

Go down 
+6
Gilbert
James B.
metalinmyveins
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Empty
PostSubject: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 5:17 pm

I want this! greedy

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/overkill-the-atlantic-years-1986-1994-vinyl-and-cd-box-sets-due-in-october/

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Looks sweet, but I still have all my O.G. pressings of those albums on CD, cuz I'm old Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 5:26 pm

I’m not sure what “half speed” mastering sounds like… but if it does improve the dynamic range as advertised, that’s a bonus!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 5:33 pm

These are basically all my favorite Overkill albums. I even like “I Hear Black”.

Just like Anthrax… they are still making high quality great albums… but there’s something about the youthful energy and style from the 80’s and early 90’s. The albums with Gustafson are especially great! That guy knew how to write and play thrash. And you got to respect the players like him and Dimebag that could sound better with one guitar than most bands that have two.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 6:33 pm

Nice box set but I have all those CDs so I don't need to pick this up.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 6:38 pm

I don't need the C.D's for the most part, though I only have The Years of Decay on CDR. I will most likely get the vinyl!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 7:30 pm

I got money to burn and this boxset is too tempting.

Although I do have an old scratched Years of Decay cd, a somewhat new reissue of Under the Influence (from Rock Candy Records) and Horrorscope. I don’t have WFO, and I’m not sure if I have I Hear Black… I do remember buying the Wounded Bird Records copy at Tower records several years ago. I think I gave it to my girlfriend.

World of Hurt and Spiritual Void are F’n great songs! Totally underrated album IMO.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I’m not sure what “half speed” mastering sounds like… but if it does improve the dynamic range as advertised, that’s a bonus!

"half speed" mastering helps with distortion when the high & midrange  is brick walled, flattening the natural dynamic curve of sound. It is done a lot, especially on the newer 45. RPM vinyl. It is a must (IMHDO) if the the source is/was analog. Tons of the original cd's were ADD, and sounded like crap at high volume. Then got worse when people started listening to music on crappy computer speakers & tiny headphones. The small magnets and lack of air movement is a recipe for limited dynamic range. Sound needs room to breath.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 11:03 pm

I already have those. But i am not sure if the collector in me will resist.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 11:05 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I got money to burn and this boxset is too tempting.

Although I do have an old scratched Years of Decay cd, a somewhat new reissue of Under the Influence (from Rock Candy Records) and Horrorscope. I don’t have WFO, and I’m not sure if I have I Hear Black… I do remember buying the Wounded Bird Records copy at Tower records several years ago. I think I gave it to my girlfriend.

World of Hurt and Spiritual Void are F’n great songs! Totally underrated album IMO.

I hear back was my first Overkill album back in the day. It's an excellent one too. Totally underrated headbanger headbanger.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 11:06 pm

I think I'll get it. The CD set looks a little cheap though. No booklets?
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 11:09 pm

I picked up their Historikill box set when it was released. Now that's a box set worth owning.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 11:10 pm

007 wrote:
Nice box set but I have all those CDs so I don't need to pick this up.

I agree. No need for me to pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeWed Aug 25, 2021 11:27 pm

I doubt I'll buy it, I already have them all on CD. Never know though, I wouldn't mind having them all on vinyl too.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 12:06 am

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

"half speed" mastering helps with distortion when the high & midrange  is brick walled, flattening the natural dynamic curve of sound. It is done a lot, especially on the newer 45. RPM vinyl. It is a must (IMHDO) if the the source is/was analog. Tons of the original cd's were ADD, and sounded like crap at high volume. Then got worse when people started listening to music on crappy computer speakers & tiny headphones. The small magnets and lack of air movement is a recipe for limited dynamic range. Sound needs room to breath.

Thanks for explaining that to me!

Can half speed mastering be on cd? Or is it only applied to vinyl. I’m assuming they have it on both formats.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 12:13 am

Even if you already own these, it doesn’t hurt to have a set of backups! It’s a matter of time til one of the CDs starts skipping (and I hate that). I still resist iTunes and mp3. I like the physical copies.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 1:15 am

Troublezone wrote:
Even if you already own these, it doesn’t hurt to have a set of backups! It’s a matter of time til one of the CDs starts skipping (and I hate that). I still resist iTunes and mp3. I like the physical copies.
I very rarely have had to replace a CD because of anything I've done. If one gets damaged, it's usually a friend that fucked it up.

I do use iTunes a lot, but only because I still have an iPod. I listen to cds when I'm up and doing things, but I also listen to music while I go to sleep. For that I use an iPod. Used to use a CD player, but I like to just shuffle shit at night so iPod is much easier. I don't use iTunes for buying music though. At least not much. Sometimes if it's something I just have to have and can't find a physical copy at a decent price I'll buy it on iTunes, but that's very rare.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 3:39 am

Troublezone wrote:

It's one of the reasons why I am considering buying the box set. Luckily, i have never faced any issues with my cds, noting that i have owned some of those Overkill cds for almost two decades now.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 5:31 am

Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

It's one of the reasons why I am considering buying the box set. Luckily, i have never faced any issues with my cds, noting that i have owned some of those Overkill cds for almost two decades now.

You are luck (or just extremely careful). I put them in my car player and they always end up with some kind of scuffs.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 6:30 am

Troublezone wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

You are luck (or just extremely careful). I put them in my car player and they always end up with some kind of scuffs.

I also play my cds in my car player. I am just extremely careful not to keep them in the sun or outside of their boxes.

Although i park underground, i never leave them in the car, especially in summer time when it's hot. I take them with me to my office.

Oh, and i also never lend my cds to anyone.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 7:20 am

Troublezone wrote:

Can half speed mastering be on cd? Or is it only applied to vinyl. I’m assuming they have it on both formats.

It is a play on words.
Vinyl is analog sound regardless of the source being digital or not.

If you remix original analog tape to change the dynamics of high, mid, and low frequencies. That same compression happens when you change it to digital format. Then it is remastered to replace the missing high & mid range lost in that process. The continual remastering currently being done appears to be improving sound but it just changes the dynamics for now it is getting played. Device versus old school high power stereo system. Even if new remastered CD is bought, it gets put on IPod right. Try playing new remastered CD at high volume on old school system, sounds like crap .

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 9:45 am

James B. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

It is a play on words.
Vinyl is analog sound regardless of the source being digital or not.

If you remix original analog tape to change the dynamics of high, mid, and low frequencies. That same compression happens when you change it to digital format. Then it is remastered to replace the missing high & mid range lost in that process. The continual remastering currently being done appears to be improving sound but it just changes the dynamics for now it is getting played. Device versus old school high power stereo system. Even if new remastered CD is bought, it gets put on IPod right. Try playing new remastered CD at high volume on old school system, sounds like crap .

I’ve never had the old high powered system. My whole life has been either boombox (of varying quality) or car stereo CD players. I never had the pleasure of the turntable and big speakers. I’m sure the house parties in the 70’s and 80’s were fantastic!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 1:27 pm

Troublezone wrote:

I’ve never had the old high powered system. My whole life has been either boombox (of varying quality) or car stereo CD players. I never had the pleasure of the turntable and big speakers. I’m sure the house parties in the 70’s and 80’s were fantastic!

It is a preference.

Should you ever get high power for home or auto, here are absolutes..

1- crossover, so each channel can differentiate lows, mids, and highs.
2- large magnets on the back of speaker cones.
3- speaker enclosures/cabinets have lots of room for air to move in and a place to go.
4- Don't let  impedance (ohms) in speakers be more than the power level (watts) of the amplifier/tuner.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 11:37 pm

I was checking the prices on Amazon. This thing is gonna cost me over a 130$ to reach my shores.

So now I am really reconsidering. With such amount, i can buy various releases which are still missing from my collection.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I was checking the prices on Amazon. This thing is gonna cost me over a 130$ to reach my shores.

So now I am really reconsidering. With such amount, i can buy various releases which are still missing from my collection.

I wonder how much it is here in America?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset   Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overkill (the Atlantic years) boxset
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next