Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal

Go down 
+8
Troublezone
James B.
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Witchfinder
Lari
Fat Freddy
Hadley
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Empty
PostSubject: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Is there a difference between Speed Metal and Thrash Metal, or is Speed just another word for thrash?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Back in the day when guys like Metallica, Anthrax, Raven, etc. were first coming out, those terms were interchangeable.  

One magazine might call Metallica a "thrash" band, another would call them a "speed metal" band. Sometimes you'd even see it hyphenated ("speed-thrash" or "speed/thrash") to describe the same band.

So to me, they've always meant more or less the same thing... but I'm sure there is probably some nit picky way to differentiate between the two "styles" nowadays. I'm just too old to care... Razz

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 4:03 pm

I feel speed metal is a broader term. It can include power metal bands, too. Like Rage and Blind Guardian and Helloween, especially their early material.

The stuff that's kind of in between thrash and power when you're not quite sure which one to call it. Just call it speed metal then. Like Battalions of Fear or Walls of Jericho or Execution Guaranteed, off of the bands I mentioned above.

Then of course there's the "early speed metal" bands that never really fully got on board the thrash train, like Exciter. Or Raven. I think the whole speed metal term might be a little obsolete because everything tends to be so well defined nowadays. It's EITHER thrash OR power OR NWOBHM. Speed is that bastard child that doesn't follow definitions and pre-dates the separation of subgenres.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Speed metal is essentially fast traditional metal with a clean vocal style. Thrash metal has more of a punk influence, grittier vocals and is less melodic than speed metal. Obviously this is a spectrum and it's not like there's a clear cut line where one becomes the other.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Speed metal is essentially fast traditional metal with a clean vocal style. Thrash metal has more of a punk influence, grittier vocals and is less melodic than speed metal. Obviously this is a spectrum and it's not like there's a clear cut line where one becomes the other.

This is a good description of the two. Well done Witchfinder.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Lari wrote:
I feel speed metal is a broader term. It can include power metal bands, too. Like Rage and Blind Guardian and Helloween, especially their early material.

The stuff that's kind of in between thrash and power when you're not quite sure which one to call it. Just call it speed metal then. Like Battalions of Fear or Walls of Jericho or Execution Guaranteed, off of the bands I mentioned above.

Then of course there's the "early speed metal" bands that never really fully got on board the thrash train, like Exciter. Or Raven. I think the whole speed metal term might be a little obsolete because everything tends to be so well defined nowadays. It's EITHER thrash OR power OR NWOBHM. Speed is that bastard child that doesn't follow definitions and pre-dates the separation of subgenres.

Well said, sir.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 6:39 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

Also well said, sir.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 6:40 pm

BTW, I feel like we had this thread/ discussion before.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Witchfinder for the win

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 8:44 pm

In the beginning both terms were almost interchangeable, but then some thrash went in a more gritty direction with bands like Sepultura, Kreator and Dark Angel.

I think the best examples of speed metal are the first two albums by Deliverance or the first album by Flotsam. Another distinction is that speed metal has been associated with cleaner vocals like power metal bands.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 9:18 pm

Of course I was behind the times with terms but when the first two "D" albums came out I ONLY remember calling them Speed Metal. I thought of Metallica as Speed Metal as well.

Now I know better. Smile
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeWed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm with Freddy! I remember those days when you'd be talking to one friend about your favorite thrash bands, then another friend about your favorite speed metal band. Both lists would always be the same bands most times lol
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 3:22 pm

This is easy. Listen to early Agent Steel then listen to early Exodus. You'll never confuse the two again.Problem is lots of speed metal crosses into power metal territory, so your mileage may vary. For example-Is Iron Maiden's Be Quick or Be Dead Speed Metal or Power Metal? Again, as someone said the lines kinda blur... Speed Metal : Thrash Metal: Hope that clears it up, men.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks for helping out. On a side note, I'd argue that the debut albums by Anthrax and Metallica are more speed than thrash. Just listen to the first tracks on each:

However, Slayer are pretty much complete thrash:

Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeThu Jan 09, 2020 5:53 pm

Hadley wrote:
Thanks for helping out. On a side note, I'd argue that the debut albums by Anthrax and Metallica are more speed than thrash. Just listen to the first tracks on each:

However, Slayer are pretty much complete thrash:

Yes, thrash was just beginning to become a distinct genre, kinda like early death metal sounds very thrashy lol
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 7:04 pm

What Witchfinder said. I always reach for speed when I want the essence of cool in my head. But if angry skies are brewing, thrash is king.

How about a loose comic book analogy? Yeah? Ok: Iron Man is speed metal. The Punisher is thrash. Quick, someone improve on this.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 1:08 pm

corplhicks wrote:
What Witchfinder said. I always reach for speed when I want the essence of cool in my head. But if angry skies are brewing, thrash is king.

How about a loose comic book analogy? Yeah? Ok: Iron Man is speed metal. The Punisher is thrash. Quick, someone improve on this.
I would say Flash would be speed metal and War Machine would be thrash. Would Dr.Doom represent Doom Metal? Smile Dr.Strange would represent Stoner ( due to the psychedelic elements prevalent in especially the early Ditko material), Thor would definitely be Power Metal, Son of Satan is truly Black Metal and Punisher would definitely be Death Metal.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jan 12, 2020 2:31 pm

John Madden wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I would say Flash would be speed metal and War Machine would be thrash. Would Dr.Doom represent Doom Metal?  Smile  Dr.Strange would represent Stoner ( due to the psychedelic elements prevalent in especially the early Ditko material), Thor would definitely be Power Metal, Son of Satan is truly Black Metal and Punisher would definitely be Death Metal.

Even better! I suppose Prog could be Rorschach from Watchmen. Especially if we're talking Steven Wilson.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal   Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speed Metal vs Thrash Metal
Page 1 of 1