Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SPEED METAL or THRASH?

Go down 
+22
Zze
Temple of Blood
Rami Airola
allthingsmetal
Wurthless
Lari
ZombieHavoc
kmorg
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
James B.
jstate
BearOnUnicycle
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
mc666
stormspell
jettafiend
CRIMSONMASK
Fat Freddy
SpectreFate
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

SPEED METAL or THRASH? Empty
PostSubject: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:22 pm

So what does the term "Speed Metal" even mean?

To me, it is the same as thrash with cleaner vocals. Any one agree? Agent Steel used to be Speed Metal - Paul Baloff sang Thrash. Powermad played Speed Metal - Destruction was total thrash, Etc, Etc. Bands like Angel Dust, Helloween, Artillery, Rage, Risk, and Vicious Rumors turned into wussy Power Metal bands to keep recording. That is as definitive as I can be. You guys have a different opinion? And anything MC666 posts does not count - do not take his warped influence to heart.....
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 pm

BTW, Risk was power metal (Faithful Breath) before becoming thrash.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm

Back in the day both terms were more or less interchangeable. I still kinda think of 'em that way.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:05 am

Six one way, half-dozen the other IMO. But your definition is about the best I've heard.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 am

That was my understanding of the terms, except that in my opinion, Thrash tends to have more of the distinct tempo changes in the mix.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 am

Debut RISK album " Daily Horror News" was marginally speed metal. They became more and more power/heavy metal band with each album afterward.

ARTILLERY - thrash all the way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 1:22 am

even though this won't count... Razz

to me, speed metal is just really fast, clean, traditional based metal (IE non extreme metal), where as thrash is more raw & aggressive. not necessarily fast at all times either. more punk influenced.

Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am

I agree with MC. Speed Metal is cleaner and more straight forward fast tempo.Thrash has a raw,punkier sound. The down beat is what sets Thrash apart from Speed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 am

Along with the other charcteristics already mentioned, I've always thought of speed metal as being more or less one tempo (fast) all the way through from beginning to end. Thrash had a little more variance, (fast, slow, super-duper fast, slow, repeat as necessary).

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Along with the other charcteristics already mentioned, I've always thought of speed metal as being more or less one tempo (fast) all the way through from beginning to end. Thrash had a little more variance, (fast, slow, super-duper fast, slow, repeat as necessary).

I agree with this.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of a typical speed metal song and a typical thrash metal song from beginning to end.

SPEED METAL or THRASH? Image2bgf
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:11 am

Speed is more airy, light-weight and fast me thinks. I'd agree with MC in this case. Scanner and Slayer sure sounds different.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 am

Quote :
to me, speed metal is just really fast, clean, traditional based metal (IE non extreme metal), where as thrash is more raw & aggressive. not necessarily fast at all times either. more punk influenced.

Well stated and my opinion exactly.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 am

Tweakers like speed and like to dive in thrash cans

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 11:19 am

Vicious Rumors is a "wussy power metal band?" No. They were never Speed or Thrash, so I am not sure what you are talking about with that one.

I think the Speed/Thrash thing is a distinction without a difference. For instance, Megadeth called themselves a Speed metal band but everyone else called them Thrash. Over time they became known as a Thrash band and the Speed metal tag fell out of favor.

If we have to come up with some kind of explanation, MC's definition is the one I would go with.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 am

Vicious Rumors isn't wussy. SPEED METAL or THRASH? 395375Like Witchfinder I remember when 'deth were called speed metal and the terms were interchangeable. Now I guess what Uncle says is how it's currently thought of.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am

I just threw the VR jab in to get Kmorg riled up. I have always dug them.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 11:49 am

While I enjoy Spec's visual assistance in my explaination, I don't mean that as a knock against speed metal. Just another ass-hat's opinion, that's all.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:07 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
I just threw the VR jab in to get Kmorg riled up. I have always dug them.

First thread ever discussing this topic that hasn't riled me up. You must be getting old, Sax Razz

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I definitely feel there is a different between speed and thrash, in some cases.

I feel that bands can be thrashy, but not be speed metal. I wouldn't really categorize Sepultura as speed metal. Especially not once they found their sound. But they are/were thrash. So there, the term is not interchangable.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 5:14 pm

I always felt speed metal was just a more general term for extremely fast paced heavy metal. It includes both thrash and power metal. Almost like a blanket term. Thrash on the aggressive side and power on the melodic side. But during the formative years of both thrash and power it was used interchangably with either.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Being honest, the distinction is completely arbitrary and doesn't matter (to me, at least).
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Since it was rather vague way back when I agree that it really is just a general term that can include somepower and some thrash bands. Actually, at this point it seems to more or less categorize certain songs rather than the entirety of what a band plays. That being said, I always thought that Powermad's ep and Rigor Mortis (imo) were good examples of speed metal. But from what I've read here must would disagree with that as the common descriptor of speed metal was 'clean'--kinda like faster power metal. But in the early 80's, it had a harsher vibe to it.

Not sure I explained myself well as I am way too tired to be thinking.......
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 pm

ATM - that was as good as anyone can put it. And...How is it that I can pre-Rip monty and EVERYONE STILL agrees with him??? I give up - MC666 reigns [don't let eyesore see this.....].
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 1:00 am

MC666 reigns
you should just get that tattooed so you don't forget it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2012 1:07 am

mc666 wrote:
MC666 reigns
you should just get that tattooed so you don't forget it.

Really? Are you threatening me cornholio? I am coming to the East Coast sooner than you think. Me n You? It's On.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SPEED METAL or THRASH?   SPEED METAL or THRASH? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SPEED METAL or THRASH?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next