Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020

Go down 
+15
the sentinel
ZombieHavoc
Witchfinder
scottmitchell74
mikeinfla
SideShowDisaSter
manny
Wrecked Neck
Required Fields
corplhicks
tohostudios
Leatherface
nevermore
Fat Freddy
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39652

TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Body Count (1986)

A rather average entry in the slasher genre,with the usual tropes: a remote campsite, the stereotypical teen campers (the jock, the sexy girls, the overweight prankster,etc.) doing stupid things and noticing nor caring that their friends disappearing and a stupid ending that doesn't really makes sense. Only recommended for fans of the genre who has to see everything of this type.

And for a switch up

Up The Creek (1984)

Fun entry in the slobs vs. snobs series of films, centered around a collegiate white water raft race with 2 Animal House alumni (Otter and Flounder) and a Porky's alumnus (Pee Wee). I always liked this one.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 am

007 wrote:

Up The Creek (1984)

Fun entry in the slobs vs. snobs series of films, centered around a collegiate white water raft race with 2 Animal House alumni (Otter and Flounder) and a Porky's alumnus (Pee Wee). I always liked this one.

Oh man, I loved this movie when I was in high school. I had such a crush on the blonde girl in it (Jennifer Runyon). Great theme song by Cheap Trick too!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 8:19 am

Creed II
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 4:19 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
Uncut Gems

Adding something to my bucket list: to shake Adam Sandler's hand and apologize for every mean thing I've said about him. He is truly an artist. Great movie in a rare case where its flaws improves the story. A solid "A" rating.

I also recommend 'Good Time' by the same directors (brothers, actually). Robert Pattinson plays a Charles Manson-type goon and it works way too well. These guys are worth keeping an eye on.

My buddy told me Uncut Gems is really good but I too have a long standing disliking of Sandler. Still, since I’m still stuck inside, I may give it a go.
 Same here.  I work with a movie geek who insists I need to give Uncut Gems a shot and I keep saying "...but it's Adam Sandler!!!"

Well, I gave 'Uncut Gems' a shot last night and I couldn't take it after 45-50 minutes. Everyone, not just Sandler, is just screaming in every scene. And non-stop f-bombs. Every scene is chaotic noise. It was giving me a headache.

The biggest flaw however is Sandler's character. He's very annoying, non-relatable and not likeable at all. 15 minutes in, and I'm rooting for the bad guys to kick his ass. It's my understanding that he gets his comeuppance by the end, but I don't feel one bit of sympathy for him. He's a degenerate gambler that caused all the problems he has in the film. He got what he deserved.

Hard pass on this one. My disliking of Sandler and his films continue.

So I saw this one twice, curious as to why I enjoyed it so much. It's absolutely unorthodox and subversive. You either love it or hate it, and I totally understand the aforementioned sentiment. However, consider that the filmmakers achieved what they set out to do. Sandler's character, in total conviction, is exactly as described above, poorly navigating a chaotic situation that was doomed from the start. Even his comeuppance was no surprise, despite the jolt it gave. The Safdie Bros are all about the antagonist's POV--there's no room for heroes or redemption in their stories, much like a good pulpy noir (Good Times is similar). The question is why the Sandler character is the way he is--the morbid curiosity that we the audience are sadistically tracking with growing resentment. But he's also just a dude. We all know losers like him (part of why his acting here is so good is because it's an authentic, everyman part), guys who seem like enjoyable, regular joes but are corrupt and caught up in their own material universe. My cousin was like that growing up, landed him in federal prison with two strokes and several heart attacks from meth overload, all for the love of money. He was a pretty cool guy to me on the surface, and his kids loved him, but inside he was nothing but self-destruction. Really knew how to think on his feet, too.

If I were to compare it to another title for further understanding, it would be [i]Citizen Kane[\i]. Both films are about unlikable men, unable to look inward, and their fall from grace accompanied by unorthodox/fringe storytelling methods and visual cues--stacking toward a potentially cathartic gut-punch. Stuff like this makes for good stories, but I understand it's not for everyone. But they can make one ponder more on the human condition, if one chooses.

One more thing (I could talk about this movie all day haha); I've been told that New Yorkers, especially in the Diamond District (is that what its called?), are very "vocal." But even putting that aside, most of the dialogue is improvisational in nature and heavily overlapping. Overlapping is a scene method from the Altman days and I'm glad to see it's making a comeback. It adds to the realism, immediacy, and anxiety of the story. But again, not for everyone. Smile

TL/DR: This is a movie that was designed to make the audience uncomfortable.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Uncut Gems was the most irritating movie I've ever seen. The main character was repellent. In fact, one would think that virulent anti-semites were behind the movie.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 10:49 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Uncut Gems was the most irritating movie I've ever seen. The main character was repellent. In fact, one would think that virulent anti-semites were behind the movie.

If anti-semites were behind the movie, why would they cast Adam Sandler, a Jewish man, as the lead actor?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 12:59 am

Required Fields wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

If anti-semites were behind the movie, why would they cast Adam Sandler, a Jewish man, as the lead actor?

I have a Jewish buddy who, along with his family, practices his religion hardcore as a tradition. He told me straight up that there's nothing offensive here, rather more enlightening if anything.

Adding to that, the Safdie Bros (directors) are Jewish--Orthodox to my knowledge--and based a lot of the story around their experiences growing up in the Diamond District.

But here's the thing. You have to look deeper than "Sandler character is stupid." Sure, at a basic level, it appears to be obvious. But he also represents the sheer stereotype of his race. In other words, he's the worst type of Jew, a poor example. Consider the caution his Brother-in-Law took when cancelling the bet. Consider also how the Judd Hirsch character's reluctance in manipulating the auction, regardless of how much money could be made. Most of the surrounding characters in Howie's universe are conservative, rather reserved, perhaps even more content than he ever could be. That's why it sucks when he invades their orbit. Howie is a threat to normalcy, to stability, and even to tradition, breaking the Jewish family spirit.

It's funny. There are many great films that have been made where the central character is beyond fallible, or even likable. Citizen Kane, as described above, many a Neo-Realism title, a host of Scorcese pictures (nearly every Scorcese picture is a three-ring circus of fallible clowns), the Godfather movies, etc. How does the screenwriter balance this? By surrounding that character with other characters who represent stability. Howie is immune to stability, thus breaking the potential well-being of those who surround him, and that's what balances this picture so well on its fulcrum. Otherwise no one here who had seen it would have carried on through to the end.

There's a bit more here to appreciate than some realize.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2020 10:20 pm

"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" (1984)

Prequel to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" sends Dr. Jones, his kid sidekick, and a ditzy nightclub singer (future Mrs. Spielberg Kate Capshaw) into battle against an ancient Indian death cult. This non-stop action film is darker and has a way bigger mean streak than the first "Indy" film -- some scenes of mayhem were so over-the-top and horrific that it led to the creation of the PG-13 rating!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 2:59 am

tohostudios wrote:
Thanks for the warning MG.  

I'll give that one a pass as well.

On the complete flipside, I see a sequel to "Train To Busan" is about to drop.  I'm not sure about this; I thought I was completely burned out on zombie movies but then I saw "TtB" and absolutely loved it because it was emotionally engaging.  That movie had some character depth to it.  It's hard to tell from just trailers but this sequel doesn't seem to have the same feel.  I am intrigued by it though:

I really don't see the point of a sequel. Everything about the first movie was a nice, tidy package. There isn't much of a reason for a sequel.

I'll reserve judgement, but I doubt I'll see it until it hits Netflix.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 7:54 am

"Gremlins" (1984)

A small town's quiet Christmas Eve is rudely interrupted by a horde of mysterious creatures who start out cute n' fuzzy, but don't stay that way for long. The "Gremlin" puppets and effects in Joe Dante's classic slapstick horror comedy are still quite impressive even after all these years. Tons o' fun.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 8:20 am

Jack's Back (1988)

James Spader in a dual role as twin brother's caught up in the mystery of a copycat Jack The Ripper killing spree, 100 years after the actual murders. The one brother comes across a crime scene and, after a brief scuffle, is murdered and it's staged to look like a suicide. The surviving brother has a premonition of his brother's death and can identify the killer, although the police don't believe him and suspicion begins to fall on him. Can he capture the real killer and clear his name? This could have been a much better movie. No murders are shown, except for a brief glimpse of one during the opening credits and the majority of the film is Spader trying to figure out who the killer is , while dodging the police.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 10:40 am

"The Car: Road to Revenge" (2019)

This bizarre pseudo-sequel to the 1977 cult hit, set in a cyberpunk near future for some reason, features a crusading D.A. who is murdered by a gang of high-tech psychos. Somehow, his consciousness is transferred into his luxury automobile, which turns into a murderous machine on a mission of vengeance.

Aside from re-using the killer-car plot, "Road to Revenge" doesn't seem to be have any connection to the '77 film aside from a brief cameo by Ronny Cox, who played a minor character in the original and plays a totally different minor character in this one.

Filmed on the cheap in Bulgaria and loaded with unconvincing CGI action sequences, carnage and gore, this was certainly not a "good" movie by any means but it was enjoyably silly, ultra-violent junk.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 7:17 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Gremlins" (1984)

A small town's quiet Christmas Eve is rudely interrupted by a horde of mysterious creatures who start out cute n' fuzzy, but don't stay that way for long. The "Gremlin" puppets and effects in Joe Dante's classic slapstick horror comedy are still quite impressive even after all these years. Tons o' fun.

Unlike many of the other so-called "classics" that I've never seen (like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark), I'm sort of ashamed to admit I've never seen "Gremlins" either. Not sure why really. I've seen snippets here and there and I'm more or less familiar with the plot but I've never actually sat down and watched the entire thing.

I need to fix that.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2020 9:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
"Gremlins" (1984)

Unlike many of the other so-called "classics" that I've never seen (like Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark), I'm sort of ashamed to admit I've never seen "Gremlins" either.  Not sure why really.  I've seen snippets here and there and I'm more or less familiar with the plot but I've never actually sat down and watched the entire thing.  

I need to fix that.

OMG yes you must! It would be a perfect addition to your Twisted Christmas film lineup this December.

... And "Gremlins 2: The New Batch" is worth seeing too!

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 2:21 am

Nite Owl(1993)-Jake, a vampire who lives in an abandon building in NYC, brings women back to his place to make out and then kill them for their blood.  When one of the victims brother tries to find her, it eventually leads him to the vampire.  This was a pretty good low budget indie flick with a little bit of an art house flare to it.  Look for John Leguizamo in an early role in his career.  3/5
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

"Blazing Saddles" (1974)

Mel Brooks put a fork in the Western genre with his classic, ultra-raunchy send up of cowboy epics, starring Cleavon Little as the first black sheriff of the racist little town of Rock Ridge, who teams up with a has-been gunfighter (Gene Wilder) to fight off some land-grabbin' railroad barons. Every time I watch this I always think how Mel would never be able to make this movie today, which somehow makes the whole thing even funnier.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2020 10:32 pm

So I was in the mood for some wacky 80's-sexplotation-snobs vs slobs-type movie. Since I couldn't easily find something, I opted for "Porky's: Pimpin' Pee Wee".

What I thought was a direct-to-cable lame sequel to the original Porky's turned out to be a "remake" of sorts. Through some sort of legal wrangling, they made this movie in 2009 and while it does have characters in it named Pee Wee, Meat and Porky, it has nothing to do with the original. And it's not remotely funny or interesting. Not even by accident.

The plot more closely rips-offs resembles 'Risky Business'. Pee Wee is house sitting for his rich uncle, friends trash house during party, they decide to open a whore house to raise money to replace priceless antiques, much to the dismay of Porky, who runs his own house of ill-repute. Hilarity should ensue, but alas, it does not. Aside from gratuitous nudity, there is nothing redeeming about this movie. I'm ashamed that I watched it myself.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 10:55 am

^^ I've never even heard of that "Pee-Wee" movie. Where'd you find it, Netflix?

Just looked @ its IMDb page and the first review that came up made me laugh:

"They forgot "Porky's" was set in the '50s. Maybe this is supposed to be their grandsons?" Laughing very hard

Apparently, the main reason this film exists is because the owners of the "Porky's" copyright had to crank out something under the "Porky's" name in order to maintain their claim on the franchise rights.  

A similar rights/ownership issue was behind the cheap-O "Fantastic Four" movie that Roger Corman's company whipped up in the 1990s (which was permanently shelved).

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2020 1:20 pm

Grown-Ups
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 1:44 am

Started watching a Netflix show called The Order. Three episodes in, not really grabbing me yet. I'll give it a couple more before I skip it.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2020 10:31 pm

A Charles Bronson found feature:

The Mechanic (1972)

Bronson stars as an aging hit man who takes on Jan Michael Vincent as a protege. Soon, Bronson and Vincent end up in a fight for their lives.

Mr. Majestyk (1974)

Bronson stars as a Vietnam vet melon farmer who runs afoul with the law and then a mob hitman, who seeks vengeance .

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 7:41 am

"The Control Group" (2017)

Five college students wake up trapped inside a creepy abandoned hospital, with no idea how they got there. As they try to find a way to escape, they slowly realize they've become part of a bizarre scientific experiment, but they also discover that the old building has some supernatural secrets of its own.
...this ultra-cheap horror/thriller has a promising premise, but it quickly falls apart thanks to a hopelessly muddled story, atrocious acting by everyone involved (even the usually-dependable Brad Dourif, playing yet another mad scientist type), and amateurish, laughable FX.
In other words...AVOID.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 8:35 am

"Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal" (2006)

Members of Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, Dark Angel, Overkill, and many more get nostalgic about the early days of the thrash metal movement, with lots of vintage clips and photos. Longtime fans of the genre aren't likely to learn anything new but it's a nice trip down metal memory lane.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 8:46 am

Watched 'Gilbert' last night. You either love him or hate him. Not much in-between. I happen to love the filthy little guy.

It was an interesting look at the man behind the on-stage persona.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 am

"Tank Girl" (1995)

Lori Petty ("A League of Their Own") stars as the butt kickin', punk-rock chick action heroine from a British comic book series. Set in a post-apocalyptic future, she leads a band of fellow mutants and misfits in a rebellion against the evil mega-corporation that controls the world's water supply.
This is one of those grunge-era, so-90s-it-hurts, "Greetings, fellow kids! Look how quirky and wacky we are!" kind of flicks that naturally hasn't aged very well... but Petty is a hoot and it's always good to see Malcolm "Clockwork Orange" McDowell hamming it up in a villain role.
This flick tanked (pun not intended, I swear) at the box office in '95, but it's become a bit of a cult item in the years since. Worth a look if you're in the mood for something slightly off center.
I'd bet five bucks that Gwen Stefani's entire No Doubt-era look and 'tude was inspired by Tank Girl.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020   TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020 - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TODAY I WATCHED (Movies, TV Shows) 2020
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next