Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread

Go down 
+22
Big Rich
nevermore
Lari
Troublezone
Lurideath
mikeinfla
Thrasher73
Gilbert
Witchfinder
James B.
the sentinel
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
corplhicks
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Wurthless
Boris2008
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Yes
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_lcap11%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
No
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_lcap15%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 4 ]
Kinda - Maybe in 1988
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_lcap67%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 67% [ 18 ]
I am with Unc. F them and Uncle Ted
Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_lcap7%Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Never liked this band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:19 pm

Troublezone wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
No! If there was another option for "Shittiest band to ever exist ever" that would be my choice! I remember seeing them on MTV the 1st time they ever aired this garbage band's debut video and I wanted to throw up profusely. I hated it and they became super huge. When the Illusion albums came along, I had the same reaction. I still despise this band more than any band in history!

Pretty harsh. It’s hard to believe you think they’re worse than something like Poison or Nelson.

Not to speak on the man's behalf, but I don't think he means he feels they are worse than Poison, Nelson, or some other hair metal band; Lurideath, like all of us, has that one band/ artist (or two) that you just loathe and can't stomach when the press and their fans gush about them.

Guns, like Crue, and Kiss had their time and place in Rock/ Metal history; and I respect that, but I step back years later when the fandom subsides and I see how over rated they are/ or were and I no longer buy in. I know I have said this before, but there are a few bands I have lost interest in cuz of musical direction (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi); some due to lackluster releases (Kiss, Scorpions,TNT, Skid Row); and some I no longer can tolerate the main man like Guns for example.

Well said. You could be right, they may just rub him the wrong way. It happens...

Thanks, man, I appreciate that.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:20 pm

Troublezone wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
No! If there was another option for "Shittiest band to ever exist ever" that would be my choice! I remember seeing them on MTV the 1st time they ever aired this garbage band's debut video and I wanted to throw up profusely. I hated it and they became super huge. When the Illusion albums came along, I had the same reaction. I still despise this band more than any band in history!

Pretty harsh. It’s hard to believe you think they’re worse than something like Poison or Nelson.

Not to speak on the man's behalf, but I don't think he means he feels they are worse than Poison, Nelson, or some other hair metal band; Lurideath, like all of us, has that one band/ artist (or two) that you just loathe and can't stomach when the press and their fans gush about them.

Guns, like Crue, and Kiss had their time and place in Rock/ Metal history; and I respect that, but I step back years later when the fandom subsides and I see how over rated they are/ or were and I no longer buy in. I know I have said this before, but there are a few bands I have lost interest in cuz of musical direction (Def Leppard, Bon Jovi); some due to lackluster releases (Kiss, Scorpions,TNT, Skid Row); and some I no longer can tolerate the main man like Guns for example.

Well said. You could be right, they may just rub him the wrong way. It happens...

Thanks, man, I appreciate that.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:20 pm

I don't know why that double posted, my bad.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

Oh...now I understand.

Guns N Roses:Lurideath = Dave Mattews Band/Journey/Phil Collins:tohostudios

Laughing very hard

I am with you on Dave Mathews, brother Toho. I can't stand his music, or him personally.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Lari wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
GNR are a very good band, but they are also too overrated compared to other groups who have had a much better and more successful career, such as L.A Guns for ex.

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 82702

I stand by what i said. When was the last time GNR gave us a good album? 1991.

L.A Guns on the other hand are still coming out with one great album after the other. Consistency headbanger.

I would choose L,A, Guns over G'NR any day of the week. My view is that they have one amazing all time great album and a handful of other good tunes, while L.A. has 4 great albums and 4 more very good ones. And they have consistently put out new music every couple of years or so. I feel as though all the years touring and releasing has kept them in shape while Axl and whoever he has backing him are a bloated shell of what they once were.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2019 10:35 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Poison was good. I like them well enough. I am one of those cats (and there are many here) who was at the counter of the record shop with a Poison cassette and a Testament one in hand and couldn't wait until my parents left for the evening to run around and air guitar like I was onstage at Donnington! Smile

Absolutely! I was one of those guys. Metal was Metal, everything from Britny Fox to Kreator and anything in between.

Anyway, speaking of writing great songs. Out of all the hair bands I think Warrant was one of the best.

Agreed, and if Uncle Tom's Cabin was the single and title track like it was supposed to be, they probably wouldn't have broken a s big as they did with Cherry, but probably would have had more respect and a more dedicated fan base today.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 2:25 am

the sentinel wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Poison was good. I like them well enough. I am one of those cats (and there are many here) who was at the counter of the record shop with a Poison cassette and a Testament one in hand and couldn't wait until my parents left for the evening to run around and air guitar like I was onstage at Donnington! Smile

Absolutely! I was one of those guys. Metal was Metal, everything from Britny Fox to Kreator and anything in between.

Anyway, speaking of writing great songs. Out of all the hair bands I think Warrant was one of the best.

Agreed, and if Uncle Tom's Cabin was the single and title track like it was supposed to be, they probably wouldn't have broken a s big as they did with Cherry, but probably would have had more respect and a more dedicated fan base today.

Yeah I always thought the same thing. Also the Cherry Pie album was really uneven. It wasn't that there were merely clunkers and gold on there. It's that songs sounded entirely different from each other. It was like a sampler of everything the band could do, which is impressive but tough to market.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 12:43 pm

If you get the chance Danny Sugarman wrote a cool book about GNR
" The Days of Guns and Roses "
He was a front row kid to Jim Morrison -
So this book just covers the height of the hype - before the follow up Illusion.
I am one of those who thought Illusion should of been cut down to one album.
But there was no telling Axl @@##$% - once popular - what a @#$%
I think Illusion came out 4 years after the fact - other musicians etc

Anyways D.S praises booze and street life and drugs
and the bravado vibe of GNR in 1987 and 1988
but you can easily read - how it was all falling apart - too
between the lines -
but like I said - D.S was with the DOORS from the get go, as a runaway teen.
He wrote - NO ONE HERE GETS OUT ALIVE
He died in L.A at age 50.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Quote :
I will go as far as to even say WHAM! are better!

Quick, someone start a "Aren't WHAM! Amazing?" Thread. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 4:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 692390
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 5:59 pm

corplhicks wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Yeah I always thought the same thing. Also the Cherry Pie album was really uneven. It wasn't that there were merely clunkers and gold on there. It's that songs sounded entirely different from each other. It was like a sampler of everything the band could do, which is impressive but tough to market.

Yep!  Uncle Tom's Cabin simply rocks.  And I think the Cherry Pie album is actually overlooked.   Cherry Pie aside (which I don't really hate) there are some good songs on there (like Bed Of Roses) but UTC is easily the best track on that album.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I'm on it! Wait. Aw, man, do I have to post it in Let the Music do the Talking?? Laughing

tohostudios wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Yep!  Uncle Tom's Cabin simply rocks.  And I think the Cherry Pie album is actually overlooked.   Cherry Pie aside (which I don't really hate) there are some good songs on there (like Bed Of Roses) but UTC is easily the best track on that album.

Anyone who hasn't paid attention to the lyrics in I Saw Red needs to stop what they are doing and throw that song on. My favorite pop metal ballad of all time, and the finest lyrically, especially how it's a typical love song only in disguise. That song was written to be emotionally scarring. Never seen such a use of raw emotion in pop music before. It's a small masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I'm on it! Wait. Aw, man, do I have to post it in Let the Music do the Talking??  Laughing

tohostudios wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Anyone who hasn't paid attention to the lyrics in I Saw Red needs to stop what they are doing and throw that song on. My favorite pop metal ballad of all time, and the finest lyrically, especially how it's a typical love song only in disguise. That song was written to be emotionally scarring. Never seen such a use of raw emotion in pop music before. It's a small masterpiece.

That's a good point.  I remember blowing that song off as a sappy ballad at first until I really listened to the lyrics.  It's sort of like "Every Breath You Take" in that it's not what you originally think it's about.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 11:59 am

Jani was a great songwriter. Probably one of the best for his era.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 12:03 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Absolutely. One of the few who truly stood out lyrically.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 12:08 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I just pulled out his solo album (Back Down to One) and the Saints of the Underground album recently. Both are great, overlooked albums in his discography. He was definitely more than "the Cherry Pie guy".

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I just pulled out his solo album (Back Down to One) and the Saints of the Underground album recently. Both are great, overlooked albums in his discography. He was definitely more than "the Cherry Pie guy".

You have me super curious; I've never taken time with his solo output. It's time I give it a go.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 pm

corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

You have me super curious; I've never taken time with his solo output. It's time I give it a go.

Back Down to One is somewhat poppy, still rockin' though. Think Cheap Trick. Saints of the Underground was a supergroup of sorts and had a harder rock sound.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 10:25 pm

I think Blotzer was with Jani in Saints, right? I have seen the disc in the used bins from time to time, but never really wanted to drop a ten spot on it.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I'm glad we aren't discussing Guns 'N Roses anymore. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Coming soon...

The Sentinel's "isn't Uncle Saxon Amazing Thread?"

I'll probably be banished for this, but I don't care. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 12:17 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I think Blotzer was with Jani in Saints, right? I have seen the disc in the used bins from time to time, but never really wanted to drop a ten spot on it.

Yea, Blotz on drums, Kerri Kelly (Alice Cooper) on guitar and Robbie Crane (Ratt) on bass. It's a fun listen.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 2:10 pm

-I think AFD is one of the best, top 5 albums of all time.
-UYI could be paired down to a single 12-song RNR classic
-Contemplating Lies as part of the catalog doesn't really make sense, since it was one half re-release of an old EP and one half dicking around with something that wasn't their usual sound. Plus listening to "One in a Million" now is tough.

I always wish GNR had released a second, more focused album in 1989 that counted as the followup to AFD, like most bands would've. Their Shout at the Devil, Ride the Lightning or Slave to the Grind. Instead, there was the aforementioned EP that doesn't really count, 5 years, tons of controversey, kicking girls in the face, riots, band changeups, etc., and then they roll out 10 minute videos of Axl playing the piano in biker shorts.

Warrant were great and Cherry Pie was such a solid record. I think the title track is great, but not the best song on the album, though they needed something like that to sell it. Otherwise, they woulda been getting into Winger Pull territory where your average MTV watcher probably wouldn't cared as much, even though it's great.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 3:16 pm

I don't care what anyone says - "Mr. Rainmaker" is a killer song.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread    Uncle Saxon's Aren't Guns N Roses Amazing? thread  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next