Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weights, crossfit, body training etc

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Weights, crossfit, body training etc Empty
PostSubject: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2018 8:45 pm

I thought back in the day we had a weightlifting thread somewhere on the forum but I can't seem to find it. I'm pretty new to exercising, but I wanted to reach out about other folks regimens, diets, etc.

This is my second season as a wildland firefighter in the pacific northwest and during the off season I try to prioritize keeping my upper body strength up as well as my cardio threshold. What kind of strength training exercises do you use to build mass and increase your aerobic threshold?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 9:34 am

Stender:

Awesome that you're a FFer! Didn't know that.

For weights I keep it simple: Squats, BP, Deadlift, pushups, pullups, situps. A lot of people like to do other things, and that's fine because the key is to find what works for you. THAT SAID, those are all compound lifts - meaning they use more than one joint and one muscle at a time = more bang/muscle for your effort.

For cardio: Running and rowing. At our fire stations we have these rowers called Concept 2. Talk about full body cardio!!! But, if you don't have access to gym/equipment...gravitiy is your best friend. When I run I love intervals, because long, steady-state runs are boring, and intervals have been shown to raise your fitness (VO2max) quicker, and you'll burn more calories afterward. Also, since you're a wildland FFer you'll be on your feet, so better train on your feet.
***It's certainly okay to row, swim, bike, for half or even 2/3 of your cardio, but at least 1/3 of it should be on your feet since your job has you on your feet.

You're still young, so you might get away with some things, but warming up is crucial to help keep injury-free.

There is no magic bullet, or quick/easy answer. True fitness is hard-earned, but once you get there it's "easy" to keep up with it.

Crossfit works ***### BUT!! It's very technical and there is a super high attrition/injury rate. That's why I like to keep things simple. Simple movements that are relatively easy to learn, and with proper warmup and technique, you shouldn't get hurt.

I'm a part of my FD's fitness station. We're all certified personal trainers so this is right up my alley. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2018 2:45 pm

I do all kinds of stuff but am getting back into working out. Slow and steady Smile

akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 9:37 pm

I approach weights much like SM74 and cardio as well. I find planks work well and I also practice Krav Maga.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 10:05 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Stender:

Awesome that you're a FFer! Didn't know that.

For weights I keep it simple: Squats, BP, Deadlift, pushups, pullups, situps. A lot of people like to do other things, and that's fine because the key is to find what works for you. THAT SAID, those are all compound lifts - meaning they use more than one joint and one muscle at a time = more bang/muscle for your effort.

For cardio: Running and rowing. At our fire stations we have these rowers called Concept 2. Talk about full body cardio!!! But, if you don't have access to gym/equipment...gravitiy is your best friend. When I run I love intervals, because long, steady-state runs are boring, and intervals have been shown to raise your fitness (VO2max) quicker, and you'll burn more calories afterward. Also, since you're a wildland FFer you'll be on your feet, so better train on your feet.
***It's certainly okay to row, swim, bike, for half or even 2/3 of your cardio, but at least 1/3 of it should be on your feet since your job has you on your feet.

You're still young, so you might get away with some things, but warming up is crucial to help keep injury-free.

There is no magic bullet, or quick/easy answer. True fitness is hard-earned, but once you get there it's "easy" to keep up with it.

Crossfit works ***### BUT!! It's very technical and there is a super high attrition/injury rate. That's why I like to keep things simple. Simple movements that are relatively easy to learn, and with proper warmup and technique, you shouldn't get hurt.

I'm a part of my FD's fitness station. We're all certified personal trainers so this is right up my alley. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nice, I have a workout bench right now at home but I have been interested in getting a rowing machine for awhile now. They are kind of expensive so I've been on the hunt for a used one, but i've used them before and love them. How do you like Assault bikes?

Besides the stuff you listed, what compound strength training exercises do you do on the bench? All I do currently is bench presses and leg presses. I'm also trying to strengthen my core and forearms. I'm anticipating having to run chainsaw frequently this season. Not happy about that honestly, haha.

Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 10:11 pm

Also Scott...

This is more FF related, but I'm curious to what classes you have taken for structure fire that you found especially beneficial to your career. I'm interested in getting into structure maybe in my next off season and want to expand my skills and also experience for wildland too. I just took my S212 Pump op class and am kind of addicted to taking classes, but if you know any standard leadership programs or other courses etc I may be able to plug into at my fire dept. or community college shoot them my way.
Back to top Go down
Aaron_D
Metal student
Metal student
Aaron_D

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 11:56 am

I run the Boring but Big challenge 3 month challenge about twice a year when I'm not slimming down for summer.

https://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 1:54 pm

Stender wrote:
Also Scott...

This is more FF related, but I'm curious to what classes you have taken for structure fire that you found especially beneficial to your career. I'm interested in getting into structure maybe in my next off season and want to expand my skills and also experience for wildland too. I just took my S212 Pump op class and am kind of addicted to taking classes, but if you know any standard leadership programs or other courses etc I may be able to plug into at my fire dept. or community college shoot them my way.

I'm not as helpful on this topic. When I hired on almost 19 years ago, we were hired as cadets and trained in-house. All of my structural FFing training was during our academy. Sorry I don't have a better answer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weights, crossfit, body training etc   Weights, crossfit, body training etc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weights, crossfit, body training etc
Page 1 of 1