Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wanna Buy A Record Label?

Go down 
+11
Shawn Of Fire
Wrecked Neck
Stender
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Troublezone
Witchfinder
Boris2008
Temple of Blood
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Empty
PostSubject: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Saw this @ another forum and thought it was interesting/bizarre... the Retrospect Records metal/AOR/hard rock label has put itself up for sale on eBay.

label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? S-l1600

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RETROSPECT-RECORDS-LABEL-FOR-SALE-HUGE-80s-ROCK-AOR-LABEL-10-000-CDs-/323208841150

Anybody got some Powerball winnings they want to burn in the most metal way possible? Wink

For the low, low price of $100,000 (yikes...but hey, free shipping!!) you get all rights to the Retrospect brand, including the web site, the various sub-labels, and all associated social media pages, plus a back stock of approx. 10,000 CDs.

So who wants to be a record label mogul?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 2:42 pm

I think I have a few CDs from that label but I sure can't remember which ones.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 2:45 pm

I like some of their releases. Another example of the failing music industry.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

^^^^ Very true. It's sad, really.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Do I get to join the Illuminati?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 pm

I checked their entire catalog on their site and the only releases I have from their label are by Nantucket.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm

I'd buy them if I had the coin, but I always thought their reissues were kind of crappy.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Buying this label is like switching Captains on a sinking ship. How many bands on this label does anyone care about? I'm sure it's mostly a bunch of unknown garage bands that played just a handful of local bars and never toured. So the real question is... who wants to be stuck with the debt and 10,000 cds that no one wants?

I guess you can at least say you own a record label.  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 8:22 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I checked their entire catalog on their site and the only releases I have from their label are by Nantucket.

I only own one of their releases - "Look Out For the Night" by Axtion.

...and it's not even that good Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 pm

He built his "empire" on bootleg cdr's. And a lot of them sounded like cheap vinyl ripoff shit. He did go legit after a few years, but, still. Not someone I would ever give my money to [again].
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I only own one of their releases - "Look Out For the Night" by Axtion.

...and it's not even that good Laughing very hard

And the two Nantucket albums I have are the last studio album they did (which is pretty meh) and a live album which is about equally worthless.  So yeah, this label is not know for releasing quality material.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 pm

This is beginning to make the 'Own a part of Queensryche for $50,000' deal seem tempting! lol!

I have nothing from this label but I do have the Pandemonium album on vinyl. It's okay but nothing I'd want to hang a hundred grand on!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Am I the only one that's never heard of them?
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 2:55 am

Stender wrote:
Nope...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Stender wrote:
Nope...

Make that three...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 10:05 am

This has less to do with "the industry" and more to do with poor quality and crap people have never heard of. Didn't this label release things on CD-R at times?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 10:10 am

Stender wrote:

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Nope...

Troublezone wrote:
Make that three...

Wow, look at all this name recognition, that $100K asking price is a bargain! Laughing very hard

But yeah, I could see how this label flew under the radar for most people  They catered mainly to collectors of ultra-obscure AOR/hair metal/melodic rock ... and they did most of their biz online or via eBay, I don't think they ever had distribution in "real" stores.

There weren't any big-name "stars" on their roster either (unless you consider Ron Keel and Herman Rarebell "big" names...haha). Most of the stuff they put out was re-issues of long lost local-yokel rock albums from back in the day.

Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Releases by them I really enjoyed: Intrinsic, Graven Image, Inner Strength, Angellic Rage, and Paladin.

https://www.metal-archives.com/labels/Retrospect_Records/380
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
This has less to do with "the industry" and more to do with poor quality and crap people have never heard of. Didn't this label release things on CD-R at times?

Apparently, because UncleSaxon said the same thing a few posts back.  I didn't know that but if multiple people remember then it's probably true.  Now I need to check if my Nantucket albums from them are boots or not.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm

If I buy it...and this is a big "if" I am changing the name from Retrospect to Hindsight.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2018 2:45 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere there is absolutely nothing mentioned worth the asking price.

10,000 low quality cd (r)'s, a worthless website and "name branding' (???)... Whatever. If there was a dump truck full of masters and contracts with a bus full of bands then maybe.

As John already mentioned and this has been talked about around the web for years, Sam (the labels owner) is a sneaky bootlegger who has told the tallest of tales attempting to justifying his less then above board ways. His releases are of the cheapest quality, "silver" CDR's and glorified record transfers with single panel inserts that are mostly offset...

So again anything more than a hundred bux is a fools purchase.

For $100k ANYONE could start a label, nab a band or 500 and press some CD's and do FAR superior work with morals.

Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2018 3:16 pm

martinsane wrote:
As I mentioned elsewhere there is absolutely nothing mentioned worth the asking price.

10,000 low quality cd (r)'s, a worthless website and "name branding' (???)... Whatever. If there was a dump truck full of masters and contracts with a bus full of bands then maybe.

As John already mentioned and this has been talked about around the web for years, Sam (the labels owner) is a sneaky bootlegger who has told the tallest of tales attempting to justifying his less then above board ways. His releases are of the cheapest quality, "silver" CDR's and glorified record transfers with single panel inserts that are mostly offset...

So again anything more than a hundred bux is a fools purchase.

For $100k ANYONE could start a label, nab a band or 500 and press some CD's and do FAR superior work with morals.

Terry knows. And it is too bad. He got the rights to a bunch of cool unlicensed thrash releases [Gothic Slam, etc] and, somehow made them sound WORSE!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2018 11:48 pm

the sentinel wrote:
If I buy it...and this is a big "if" I am changing the name from Retrospect to Hindsight.

lol!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

lol!

Thanks, I'll be here all week; tip your waitress and try the veal. Laughing
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2018 10:06 pm

martinsane wrote:

Great point. I collected sports cards (baseball and football) for a long time and I watched the same store be sold 3 times to 3 different people. Each successive person who bought the place paid less and the store stock was a lot more depleted each time. The final time it was "sold" was about 4 years ago for 15k. Each guy was deluded into thinking it was some "turn key" operation that was going to make him rich and there was this built in clientele and good will and a great collection of cards. I always wondered why these guys didn't just go rent a place and start their own business with the stuff they already owned or make a small investment in some collections to fill the cases? Guess I will never know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanna Buy A Record Label?   label - Wanna Buy A Record Label? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanna Buy A Record Label?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next